Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2019, 02:06 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Weather protection for non-AW/WR gear

Hi everyone! It happened so many times, going on a city walk or some hiking in sunny weather and it starts dull, pouring autumn rain. Humidity rises, and the backback eventually get a bit wet. How do you protect you non-all-weather gear in these situations? Any special care you take when getting back home?

10-29-2019, 02:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If my camera bag gets wet, I unpack everything and have it dry in a warm part of the house. I've been meaning to get an industrial size (bulk) supply of silica gel to store in the store-room where I store my camera equipment. Must get around to it.
10-29-2019, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

I put the rain cover on my backpack. Usually, when I'm traveling I have just a small Lowepro Flipside Sport 10L AW backpack to fit my gear and if the rain becomes more serious, I put my backpack in front of me and cover it also with my coat.

For the camera and lens I always have in my backpack a water protection bag that will cover my gear so I can keep shooting in the rain if I need to. I tend to protect my gear and not relly on "weather resistant" thing.

If I go from cold to hot temperatures, before I enter in the warm place (my home for example) I take out the memory card and I let the camera in the backpack until it will reach the temperature inside my home. Why I take out my memory card? Because I want to look at picture without waiting a few hours for my gear to reach the temperature inside my home.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 10-29-2019 at 02:40 AM.
10-29-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My bag is usually waterproof, or I am near cover.

Mostly my carry around combo is weather resistant now anyway

10-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Plastic bag, uv filter, rubber bands.
10-29-2019, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I always have a single use shopping bag with me in case I need to protect equipment from the elements.
10-29-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by saabeilin Quote
How do you protect you non-all-weather gear in these situations? Any special care you take when getting back home?
I always take with me at least one gallon or large size plastic zip lock bag. If it rains, I make a hole in side of the bag to put the lens hood through and orient the bag upside down so my hands can reach up from underneath the bag. In these situations I usually shoot with LiveView and not bother with the optical viewfinder.

The only care I do once I'm back in a dry environment is to wipe off any water and to let the gear "breathe" in open air. If I put it into a sealed container, I may be locking in moisture.

10-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I keep a few Clear plastic garbage bags with my gear at all times, even the weather proof bags. As an avid camper and hiker, water bags and gear has a high fail rate.. Plastic bags are cheap.

Oh and they are great for sitting or kneeling on when doing a macro.

al

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 08:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
If my camera bag gets wet, I unpack everything and have it dry in a warm part of the house. I've been meaning to get an industrial size (bulk) supply of silica gel to store in the store-room where I store my camera equipment. Must get around to it.

Mark, I've used these alot in my dry boxes and they do work well, have you considered getting the inexpensive Calcium Chloride based moisture absorbers? They sell them at Box stores for putting in closets and RVs that over winter. I've used them in my trailer. Thinking I may try them with some gear. I used to work in a lab along while back and we used Calcium Chloride in small dry boxes for moisture sensitive things.

Al
10-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tuck one of these in your bag or pocket.

Op/Tech Rainsleeve. here: Rainsleeve - Camera cover for rain and snow | OP/TECH USA
10-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
I keep a few Clear plastic garbage bags with my gear at all times, even the weather proof bags. As an avid camper and hiker, water bags and gear has a high fail rate.. Plastic bags are cheap.
This is what I do, too, and it's saved my gear many times. Almost every camera bag has a slim pocket somewhere that's designed to hold documents and stuff. I'll take a plastic bag that's big enough to cover my whole camera bag, neatly fold it into as small a size as possible, then keep it in the tiny pocket until needed.

QuoteQuote:
Or to have a dry place to set your camera bag down after it's stopped raining.
10-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote

al

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 08:46 AM ----------

Mark, I've used these alot in my dry boxes and they do work well, have you considered getting the inexpensive Calcium Chloride based moisture absorbers? They sell them at Box stores for putting in closets and RVs that over winter. I've used them in my trailer. Thinking I may try them with some gear. I used to work in a lab along while back and we used Calcium Chloride in small dry boxes for moisture sensitive things.

Al
I've thought of that. But, I can get bulk size packs of silica gel for a very reasonable price, so figured that may be a good solution. Probably cheaper than the Calcium Chloride packs.
10-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
yes, as many said, clear plastic bag and scotch tape for me. When i walk in the rain. Cover both lens and body with the bag. Tap the open of the bag with lens hood, cut out some part for the strap to get through. I use peak design strap so it doesn't require a big hold to get the thread out then seal it shut with scotch tape.
It works but funny every time I have to do it. Pentax famous for its WR body but as a prime shooter if I want to use wider prime. The plastic bag is the only WR I can think of. Pentax needs to make wide-angle WR prime.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 10-30-2019 at 09:01 PM.
11-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
yes, as many said, clear plastic bag and scotch tape for me. When i walk in the rain. Cover both lens and body with the bag. Tap the open of the bag with lens hood, cut out some part for the strap to get through. I use peak design strap so it doesn't require a big hold to get the thread out then seal it shut with scotch tape.
It works but funny every time I have to do it. Pentax famous for its WR body but as a prime shooter if I want to use wider prime. The plastic bag is the only WR I can think of. Pentax needs to make wide-angle WR prime.
Maybe someday; they still have a family of FF primes to build out for the K-1.