Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 08:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ball Head Grease/lubricant?

Hi all,

Not a terribly interesting topic I know but what are you all using as a lubricant on your Tripod Ballheads? I have one thats in need of some.

Thanks,

Al

10-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Usually the ball or socket is Teflon or something similar that doesn't need lubrication, but if it's aluminium, I'd try silicone grease. That way you won't get dust and fluff sticking to it.
10-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Never used any lubricant.
10-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
Usually the ball or socket is Teflon or something similar that doesn't need lubrication, but if it's aluminium, I'd try silicone grease. That way you won't get dust and fluff sticking to it.
Thanks for the suggestion. This is a Bogen 3038.. Its a pretty hefty ball head and definitely in need of some lubicant or some sort...Its just way too stiff now.

al

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
Never used any lubricant.
I don't usually either.

10-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Never used any. Teflon or 'teflon' socket inside mine.
10-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. This is a Bogen 3038.. Its a pretty hefty ball head and definitely in need of some lubicant or some sort...Its just way too stiff now.
I have never lubed my Manfrotto ball head, and used it extensively until last year when I finally got a Gimbal head. What it did need was cleaning the ball and seat and exact setting of the tension.
10-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Instead of lubing, maybe it's time to get a new one?

10-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
He, he, he! Great justification to persuade the wife you need a new tripod . I've just got a carbon fibre Jenova Pro J, with a detachable mono-pod. I would recommend it highly.
10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Not sure about this specific ball head. But normally you shouldn't use lubricant in a ball head. At least Arca Swiss says so. Is it possible something else is wrong with your ball head?
10-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a chance it has always been that way. A quick look-see at user comments on the Web seem to indicate a general tendency to being "sticky" and not smooth. Assuming it can be disassembled for cleaning, I see no harm in trying a light smear of a silicone grease.

Steve
10-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.. I havent tried to take it apart yet.. maybe a rainy day project.

Al

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 10:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a chance it has always been that way. A quick look-see at user comments on the Web seem to indicate a general tendency to being "sticky" and not smooth. Assuming it can be disassembled for cleaning, I see no harm in trying a light smear of a silicone grease.

Steve
Its always been a little stiff, Ive had it for years but its sat for the few unused.. so its possible I am miss remembering how stiff and comparing it to my lighter Vanguard BHs.

---------- Post added 10-30-19 at 11:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
He, he, he! Great justification to persuade the wife you need a new tripod . I've just got a carbon fibre Jenova Pro J, with a detachable mono-pod. I would recommend it highly.
lol.. I have more than exceeded my photo gear budget this year!
10-30-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

but what are you all using as a lubricant on your Tripod Ballheads?
Absolutely nothing... actually RRS say not to use anything...

"Lubrication - The BH-55 is lubricated at the factory and parts that require lubrication are sealed. NO LUBRICATION IS REQUIRED BY THE USER. Especially DO NOT LUBRICATE THE BALL as this will decrease the lock-up capacity and tend to attract dirt/dust. Just keep the ball free from contamination to maintain smooth action."
10-30-2019, 10:37 PM   #13

The parts diagram is available here:
https://bogentripodparts.com/partslists/3038.pdf

or here:
Manfrotto 268 Spare Replacement Parts
10-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swip Quote
I've owned multiple copies of most of the better ballheads (RRS, Kirk, Acratech, Hejnar, Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc.).

I recently discovered one that is the best of them all. I've recently sold my other ball heads and replaced them all with my new "Tiltall" Ball Heads. Smallish in size, and they lock up tighter than any of the others.