Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hacking a Optech Double Lens Cap/How grippy/safe is it?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I shot a wedding last Friday using the Holdfast Camera Swagg Cotton harness. It was a joy to use. It has little D Rings on the straps and I used them to fashion the Pentax pouches that come with the lenses. I only have one image of me wearing one to illustrate (bottom of post). In reality it didn't work very well, some of the lenses (HD DA 20-40) would not fit in the FA77 pouch etc, so some juggling around had to occur a bit, more often than not some lenses just went into my pocket. The drawstring system wasn't really working for me and so I vowed to get around this issue for my next shoot and do something different. It was just too awkward getting the lenses in and out of these pouches.

The thing that occurred to me is that the pouches I own are just overkill for this purpose. Heavily padded and really ruin the look of the holster, I'm also not sure they are waterproof...

So I decided I needed something else to store some primes on my person as I go about my event shoots. But what? I came to the conclusion that I probably need a couple of solutions, one for dry weather and one for wet, but even if it was wet I would likely ditch the holster entirely and just venture out with my one camera and one WR lens.. so I'm not even sure how important it is to have a wet solution for my holster at this time. So i'm focusing on a dry solution for now.

The hassle of taking the lens out of the pouch, removing the rear lens cap (and sometimes front lens cap depending...) was taking too long, I thought what if I could just bypass that whole situation and just reach for the lens itself? I saw that Peak Design have a Capture system, yet it doesn't come in K Mount and looks like it never will;

Watching the video above also made me a tad nervous, I didn't think it was great that it seemed possible to mount a lens into the system the wrong way and for the locking mechanism not to work!

It did make me think however, and I turned my attention to some old Optech Double Lens Caps that I have sitting around that I never use anymore. I don't know why but these lens caps really grip the lens, there's no lock, its a twisting one but I think there is some rubber involved to assist with gripping the lens once its twisted and turned. It made me think...

"What if I drilled a hole in one of the ends, effectively reducing the lens cap to being just a single cap again, but now I could put a ring or carabiner through the whole and then anchor onto the D Ring?"

Would that work out well? I solve the rear lens cap issue and not having to take one off and store one for the shot, I also then get super quick access to a lens without fighting a pouch. The only downside is that there is no weather protection, no bump protection and all that stuff, but I'm not sure at this point whether I care too much about that stuff. If I'm shooting a wedding in dry conditions I just want speed and ease...

My only lingering thought is... what if the the lens cap fails to hold onto the prime? What if it gets loose during movement

I could see this being an issue on perhaps some larger lenses, but really my kit involves;

FA77
FA43
HD DA 20-40
DA15

And a few lensbaby lenses that are equally similar in size and weight. 24-70 and 70-200's hanging off this system is not something I plan on having...

So I dunno... I thought I'd share my mad idea. Here's a pic to illustrate;

The harness and D rings;

Me wearing one (with my daughter), you can see the draw string pouches which was not really working in practice as well as I had hoped;

Susie Summers (@susiejsummers) ? Instagram photos and videos

When I put a prime on one of these optech double lens cap thingies, they really do feel very secure and grippy, they are not at all like other lens caps that I own... I think if there was some other rear lens cap for Pentax that had a lock of some sort, that would be something I'd like to pursue, but from my quick hunt I couldn't find anything like that

10-30-2019, 01:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take a thin k mount extension ring or body cap to go into the upper half of the double cap to avoid modification of the caps.

Also my suggestion is a small side pack and each lens set up with a double cap. Remove lens from camera, flip open the case, turn lens onto the one you want to mount, flip two lenses over and remove the lens you want to mount. Mount and shoot.

Edit: or make your own capture device with webbing and extension tubes. It will take creative effort but it should be possible.
10-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I would take a thin k mount extension ring or body cap to go into the upper half of the double cap to avoid modification of the caps.

Also my suggestion is a small side pack and each lens set up with a double cap. Remove lens from camera, flip open the case, turn lens onto the one you want to mount, flip two lenses over and remove the lens you want to mount. Mount and shoot.

Edit: or make your own capture device with webbing and extension tubes. It will take creative effort but it should be possible.
Sounds like you have some ideas! I have never used an extension ring or any kind of adapter for the K Mount system, so I am not familiar with any of the things you mention here, please feel free to link an image or product page for what you have in mind, I'm very interested to hear you expand on this. Unfortunately (in typical Bruce tradition I am mostly lost on the advice given )

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

Something like this? PENTAX Auto Extension tube set 1.2.3 "Excellent+++++" #18067 From Japan | eBay
10-30-2019, 04:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Sounds like you have some ideas! I have never used an extension ring or any kind of adapter for the K Mount system, so I am not familiar with any of the things you mention here, please feel free to link an image or product page for what you have in mind, I'm very interested to hear you expand on this. Unfortunately (in typical Bruce tradition I am mostly lost on the advice given )

---------- Post added 10-31-19 at 07:59 AM ----------

Something like this? PENTAX Auto Extension tube set 1.2.3 "Excellent+++++" #18067 From Japan | eBay
Yes like those. You could more easily drill and mount straps to those than the plastic double cap.

10-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Not exactly what you were asking, but I suggest just using a zoom lens for events.
10-31-2019, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Not exactly what you were asking, but I suggest just using a zoom lens for events.
Yeh nah, not a fan of zooms. I mean... I do use them, I had the 20-40 on the K-1 in FF mode and it was excellent, but I really do like cracking out the lensbaby and FA77 for a lot of the shots. Besides.. I'm pretty much way too poor to afford 24-70 and 70-200's, not to mention the weight and bulk. Tiring stuff.

Thus far I have covered many professional events from concert photo pits to weddings and all the time using primes. I actually see it as an advantage, sometimes that f1.8 can really be important over f2.8 and often the shots can have that extra special pizzazz from using those wide apertures. The downside is without a doubt lens swapping. I usually do a great quick change in this regard using some belt lens pouches etc, but I am just trying to lift my game a little and look a bit more smart hence holsters and what not. I'm not anti zoom or anything, its just I think they can be very expensive and that lack of f1.8 can be an issue so I decided to stay on the prime route.
10-31-2019, 02:42 AM   #7
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
did you think about a bag with a sure and practical option for lens changing? Take a look at this bag from Sal Cincotta:
Bug Out Bag ? Salvatore Camera Straps

10-31-2019, 04:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
did you think about a bag with a sure and practical option for lens changing? Take a look at this bag from Sal Cincotta:
Sal Cincotta "Bug Out Bag" - Review - YouTube
Thanks for that. I kinda have that covered already, I own a photography backpack that comes with me to events, as well as a huge duffel bag that contains softboxes, umbrellas, light stands etc etc.

It all depends on what you're doing, shooting all day with a sling bag like that on your person is not so much fun. Its ok for a bit but after awhile it gets really annoying and heavy. It's why I went with the Holdfast holster, the distribution of weight of the two cameras (and lenses) for the day was fantastic. An entire wedding and I hardly noticed it, and I never had to 'put anything down' like what you do with you have a sling bag.

Better than the sling bag is the Manfrotto m1 waist pack that is really intended for a DJI Mavic Pro but I use it for lenses and other bits and bobs just fine. I manage to easily fit 3x primes in that thing;

I use this more for bushwalks tho, for a wedding or event I feel it brings the tone of my attire down a bit.
11-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pid Quote
Sal Cincotta "Bug Out Bag" - Review - YouTube
I finally got around to watching that video. The guy makes some good points;

1) Even if you have a bag such as this, careful not to overfill it.
2) Back pain is still there, because also two things around the neck, the bag and camera neck strap
3) I can't recall if he mentioned this or not, but one of the things that is attractive to me is that he can easily 'put down' the camera bag. This is useful when wanting to shoot interesting compositional shots, taking a heap of lenses off your person either via a belt or harness is not ideal, far easier to just take the bag off the shoulder and lay down for a second.

I finally did the double lens optech rear cap hack and trialled it on the weekend on a shoot;

Have to say it worked well. Lens swaps were quick and swift. However, long term I do feel I need a different solution. Perhaps the best solution is combining the lens bag + harness together. The harness is invaluable in terms of neck strain/stress + safety. It helps also with lens swap as you can let go of the camera body if you need to, and of course ultimate is very handy to dual wield two cameras at once which is the main purpose and advantage. I just think that I need my lenses off the harness long term to do versatlie shots without feeling like I am going to scratch lenses when lying on concrete etc. Also this optech lens cap is obviously not rain proof.

I just really don't like idea of a sling bag, I thing a belt pouch system would be ideal, something that allows me to take the belt off quickly and put down without fear of lenses falling out of their possible unfastened pouch. Zips take too long, velcro or some magnetic clasp that automatically springs over the pouch during lens swap so that the lens is always semi secure would be great. The holster can just hold other stuff like SD cards, batteries, stuff that can be flattened a little easier in small padded pouches.
11-05-2019, 07:11 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm late to the show, but here goes.

I saw that Peak Design have a Capture system, yet it doesn't come in K Mount and looks like it never will;
You could buy the Nikon version and mount Nikon to K mount adapters.

My only lingering thought is... what if the the lens cap fails to hold onto the prime? What if it gets loose during movement
That would make me VERY nervous.

Me wearing one (with my daughter), you can see the draw string pouches which was not really working in practice as well as I had hoped;
Account seems to be private.

For what you seem to want to achieve, what I'd do (and actually often do) is to use Peak Design's Capture Clip, either on the strap of a backpack, on the side of a messenger, or on my belt. Then if I want to switch lenses often, I use a lens pouch, often the Peak Design Range Pouch (can create an inner shelf for smaller primes) or Think Tank Lens Changer (the Speed Changer, which is larger, has the advantage that part of the case can be empty so lens rotation is easier).

With a capture clip and a lens case on the hip, things are easy and fast:

11-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm late to the show, but here goes.

You could buy the Nikon version and mount Nikon to K mount adapters.

That would make me VERY nervous.

Account seems to be private.

For what you seem to want to achieve, what I'd do (and actually often do) is to use Peak Design's Capture Clip, either on the strap of a backpack, on the side of a messenger, or on my belt. Then if I want to switch lenses often, I use a lens pouch, often the Peak Design Range Pouch (can create an inner shelf for smaller primes) or Think Tank Lens Changer (the Speed Changer, which is larger, has the advantage that part of the case can be empty so lens rotation is easier).

With a capture clip and a lens case on the hip, things are easy and fast:
I thought about adapters, but it adds to the cost, not sure if it's really want I want to do (direction to go in) and also adds bulk to a bulkyish system as well.

The Optech Rear Lens caps are very grippy, there's rubber in them to hold the lenses in firm place. As I was going about my shoot I never once worried one might fall out over time and become loose, in some ways I think I was less nervous than the guy in that video with the Canon version of the peak design and demonstrating how its possible to dock it wrongly and have them slip out lol.

Oh, my bad, it would be a private account, it's my missuses Insta. Here's the shot (uploaded to my flickr);

I am my own worst enemy. I don't really shoot weddings that often and am not trying to be a wedding photographer. But I do seem to pick up jobs like this (and smaller ones like Christenings), and I started out on the prime life so it's kinda all my own doing

The issue is a single lens pouch is not what I need, I need about 4-5 on my person, and that still doesn't cover everything I have for a shoot, some glass would still have to exist in a bag somewhere. And also it's about looking smart and part of the occasion. Not the same kinda affair as how I leave the house for a bushwalk at all.
11-05-2019, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The issue is a single lens pouch is not what I need, I need about 4-5 on my person, and that still doesn't cover everything I have for a shoot, some glass would still have to exist in a bag somewhere. And also it's about looking smart and part of the occasion. Not the same kinda affair as how I leave the house for a bushwalk at all.
Maybe just a classy messenger bag then?
11-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not sure you could call it classy

but classic might fit as a description
QuoteQuote:
Description:
The bag that started it all. Jim Domke had the first one custom made for his own use in 1976, and the F-2 is still one of the most popular Domke Bags today. Designed so that the photographer could get at equipment instantly, without having to take the bag from their shoulder. Includes an adjustable non-slip Gripper™ Strap with durable cotton webbing, removable bottom stiffener, removable hand carrying strap, YKK zippers, and steel snap hooks

Read more at: Domke F-2 Original Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
11-05-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Maybe just a classy messenger bag then?
Maybes...

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not sure you could call it classy

but classic might fit as a description

Read more at: Domke F-2 Original Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Yeh not bad.

Ultimately some of these suggestions can come from those that shoot casually. If you ever cover a full wedding from 10am - 1am you will understand the hesitation to have any kind of strapping mechanism around your waist.

I have solved the issue of cameras and where they go, they hang off the holdfast holster. The cameras also come with a really fast quick release system so if I want to get down low like on the ground and take a crazy angle shot I can do so without fear of busting a camera or fighting its release. This was important to me.
What I'm not gung ho about is taking 2-3 lenses off as well that would be otherwise on my holster.

A belt works well, and perhaps an investment into something like a better more classy cosyspeed and their pouches would be sufficient. Something I can unbuckle quickly and put on the ground to take the shot, place back on the hips afterwards and suffer the least amount of neck strain throughout the gig.

COSYSPEED CAMSLINGER Streetomatic Plus Camera Bag COCS0017 B&H

Decisions decisions...
11-05-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybes...

Yeh not bad.

Ultimately some of these suggestions can come from those that shoot casually. If you ever cover a full wedding from 10am - 1am you will understand the hesitation to have any kind of strapping mechanism around your waist.

I have solved the issue of cameras and where they go, they hang off the holdfast holster. The cameras also come with a really fast quick release system so if I want to get down low like on the ground and take a crazy angle shot I can do so without fear of busting a camera or fighting its release. This was important to me.
What I'm not gung ho about is taking 2-3 lenses off as well that would be otherwise on my holster.

A belt works well, and perhaps an investment into something like a better more classy cosyspeed and their pouches would be sufficient. Something I can unbuckle quickly and put on the ground to take the shot, place back on the hips afterwards and suffer the least amount of neck strain throughout the gig.

COSYSPEED CAMSLINGER Streetomatic Plus Camera Bag COCS0017 B&H

Decisions decisions...
you are correct I don't have the experience

just a thought

and this style is a over the shoulder, it doesn't work on a belt