Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking for an everyday camera bag that combines features of 2

So I currently own a bunch of backpacks that I use for various activities but I'd like to try to slim that down. I use an Incase Icon for school, an Incase Icon Slim (with a broken laptop zipper) for work (for now), a Manfrotto Advanced Active bag for carrying around my camera and laptop in an everyday setting, and a Lowepro Flipside 400 as my actual camera bag.

I like the Icon and the Manfrotto but I'd like to be able to have the capacity and look and comfortability of the Icon with the camera compartment of the Manfrotto. I know of the Lowepro Flipside Trek series but it's too much of a hiking/outdoor pack for what I'm looking for. The rear opening compartment is something I'd definitely be interested in but it's not something I necessarily need or would be a "deal breaker" if not featured.

I've also seen the Photo Active 300 and Photo Hatchback 250 but the Hatchback doesn't look like it'll carry the lenses that I want and the Photo Active doesn't look like it'll be able to carry the other stuff that I'd want.

So I'm looking to carry:
•15" laptop + Surface Pro sized tablet
•K-3II w/ 16-50 attached
•50-135, 55 1.4, and a 60-250 or Sigma 10-20 with a strap stuffed somewhere.
•Room in main compartment to carry multiple 1 and 3 subject notebooks plus slim folders and a small textbook.
•Secondary compartments large enough to hold computer peripherals such as a charger and pens/pencil pockets
•Removable camera box so I can use more space if needed (preferable but not necessary)

So essentially a combination of the Advanced Active, the Photo Active, and the Icon. I'm currently looking through the B&H website but any suggestions would be wonderful.

Manfrotto Advanced Active:

Incase Icon:

Lowepro Flipside Trek 250:

10-31-2019, 10:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm not looking for a large backpack to take with me on a month long hike through the Alps. Just a regular camera pack that I can use to comfortably carry some lenses and my camera with a laptop/tablet computer and some notebooks and a textbook with me. I guess it wasn't obvious that I'm using this as an everyday type bag that I can carry to and from school.

And, frankly, I prefer the compartments. It helps me to be organized and find whatever I need... Aside from the fact that I don't need to carry extra clothes with me along the barren, frozen, windswept, plains of my college campus.
11-01-2019, 02:48 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
So I'm looking to carry:
•15" laptop + Surface Pro sized tablet
•K-3II w/ 16-50 attached
•50-135, 55 1.4, and a 60-250 or Sigma 10-20 with a strap stuffed somewhere.
•Room in main compartment to carry multiple 1 and 3 subject notebooks plus slim folders and a small textbook.
•Secondary compartments large enough to hold computer peripherals such as a charger and pens/pencil pockets
•Removable camera box so I can use more space if needed (preferable but not necessary)
Honestly with this combination of needs you'd be looking at a reasonably large backpack.

What about the Manfrotto Metropolitan Camera Backpack? It looks quite practical and you have it at BnH for $130, although with a 6kg+ load I would straight up look exclusively at hiking backpacks for the hip strap*.

11-01-2019, 04:01 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

th OP might find some helpful information in this area of the forum:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

11-01-2019, 04:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Mindshift backlight 18l
F-stop makes some nice backpacks in all sizes
11-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suggest that you look at the Lowepro website. They have lots of filters to help narrow down selection among the 66 backpacks they offer. Among those to look at might be the Fastpack and ProTactic series. However with your requirements, especially adding notebooks in addition to a laptop and tablet, you will need something fairly large and pricey.
11-01-2019, 07:53 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Honestly with this combination of needs you'd be looking at a reasonably large backpack.
...or reassess whether you want photo luggage or a bag for field use.

Steve

11-01-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I use two lowepro fastpack series the 350 one and the 150. Bigger one will be enough for laptop and tablet. Should be enough for camera and lenses as well. It lacks removable compartment for sure. I think you are looking for some Holly Grail of backpacks. If you find one that meets all your needs send me a link!
11-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I use two lowepro fastpack series the 350 one and the 150. Bigger one will be enough for laptop and tablet. Should be enough for camera and lenses as well. It lacks removable compartment for sure. I think you are looking for some Holly Grail of backpacks. If you find one that meets all your needs send me a link!
I agree on the fastpack 350. I have one too. Though it lack the removable camera box the inserts come out easily... I used to carry my k3 w/ grip with 300 * .. and several.more lens.. no problem. Very comfortable to wear and the lap top sleeve is ample and padded well.
Hth,
Al
11-01-2019, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
50-135 plus 60-250 is the only really challenging element.

I have tested a LOT of bags over the recent years. Here are a few suggestions:

1-Peak Design everyday backpack: superb design (the Lowepro Freeline and Photo Active are rip-offs of that design), flexible and easy to reconfigure, should hold what you wish for.

2-Lowepro Freeline (or Photo Active, for the most part they're the same). Nothing wrong with stealing a good idea. Supposed to have better shoulder straps, less modular, much cheaper. Not sure about your notebooks but the rest will fit.

3-Think Tank Urban Access : another bag strongly inspired by the Peak Design. Another take on this philosophy. Think Tank products are in general VERY well made.

4-Think Tank Perception Pro. See review here:

PentaxForums.com Error

The Shape Shifter also mentionned in the review is probably a bit large for you. The Perception and Shape Shifter use pouches, very interesting, not ideal for quick access but very flexible for extra stuff.

5-Wandrd Prvke 21 : should work for what you have in mind. Their Duo backpack might also be a good choice

6-Mission Workshop Integer : expensive, superbly rugged, should do all you ask and then some

7-Boundary Supply Errant : should tick all your boxes. Not too expensive

8-If you wish to go for a bigger, supremely modular backpack, have a look at the Peak Design travel Backpack. It can compress to 35 liters (still pretty big) but also serves as a carry-on bag, duffle, etc. I love traveling with it, better than with a rolling suitcase. See here:

Peak Design Travel Backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Let me know if you have more questions.
11-01-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

1-Peak Design everyday backpack: superb design (the Lowepro Freeline and Photo Active are rip-offs of that design), flexible and easy to reconfigure, should hold what you wish for.

2-Lowepro Freeline (or Photo Active, for the most part they're the same). Nothing wrong with stealing a good idea. Supposed to have better shoulder straps, less modular, much cheaper. Not sure about your notebooks but the rest will fit.

3-Think Tank Urban Access : another bag strongly inspired by the Peak Design. Another take on this philosophy. Think Tank products are in general VERY well made.

PentaxForums.com Error

The Shape Shifter also mentionned in the review is probably a bit large for you. The Perception and Shape Shifter use pouches, very interesting, not ideal for quick access but very flexible for extra stuff.

5-Wandrd Prvke 21 : should work for what you have in mind. Their Duo backpack might also be a good choice

6-Mission Workshop Integer : expensive, superbly rugged, should do all you ask and then some

8-If you wish to go for a bigger, supremely modular backpack, have a look at the Peak Design travel Backpack. It can compress to 35 liters (still pretty big) but also serves as a carry-on bag, duffle, etc. I love traveling with it, better than with a rolling suitcase. See here:

Great post for me.
11-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
Forum Member

These are good suggestions. Would also recommend the Mindshift Horizon; review here. Love the rotational belt pack

Mindshift Gear rotation180° Horizon backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-01-2019, 01:27 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Get one of these and be done with it... as your final bag purchased.

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Wish I'd discovered this one years ago, it certainly would meet most of your requirements I believe.
11-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote

What about the Manfrotto Metropolitan Camera Backpack? It looks quite practical and you have it at BnH for $130, although with a 6kg+ load I would straight up look exclusively at hiking backpacks for the hip strap*.
Thanks, I'll check it out. It definitely looks promising. What are the differences between this and the Manfrotto Manhattan 50?

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Mindshift backlight 18l
F-stop makes some nice backpacks in all sizes
The Mindshift looks like more of a hiking pack instead of an everyday walk around pack.

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Thanks, I'm definitely considering the FastPack 350

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote

PentaxForums.com Error

Thanks, I'll definitely be taking a look at them. The Peak Design Travel pack doesn't interest me for this because it's too large. The first 4 I'll take a closer look at.

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
These are good suggestions. Would also recommend the Mindshift Horizon; review here. Love the rotational belt pack

Mindshift Gear rotation180° Horizon backpack Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
This isn't really what I'm looking for. It's not really an "everyday walk around" kind of backpack.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Get one of these and be done with it... as your final bag purchased.

Billingham 445 Camera Bag reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Wish I'd discovered this one years ago, it certainly would meet most of your requirements I believe.
That's not really what I'm looking for. It's a messenger bag but I'm looking for a backpack.
11-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
That's not really what I'm looking for. It's a messenger bag but I'm looking for a backpack.
There are accessory straps available that turn it into a back pack... Billingham Backpack Harness
Attached Images