Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Thanks for the answer. I am ok with both types of locks. Weight of the tripod up to 2.5 kg without the head (prefer less). Three or four leg sections, ideally at least 150 cm without extending center column (and without the head). The 'form' aspect is almost irrelevant to me. I asked about Winston and the 360 ball head because it fits - on the paper - my needs and it's possible I can get good deal on it (330 Euro for new one with the head). The problem that I have is that I won't be able to put my hands on it before buying and the specification on the paper and real life can be two different stories in case of a tripod.
In my opinion, tripods are one of those things that you have to try out in person to get a sense of how it will fit into your workflow. If you're planning on using the tripod a lot, you'll want to be comfortable with it. If you cannot try before you buy at a camera store, be sure to purchase from a merchant with a generous return policy.

11-05-2019, 06:14 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It doesn't have to be one or the other.
True. But sometimes it is...

Weight of the tripod up to 2.5 kg without the head (prefer less).
That's not very strict. You can go well beyond the travel tripod range.

The problem that I have is that I won't be able to put my hands on it before buying and the specification on the paper and real life can be two different stories in case of a tripod.
True. And that's annoying. Stores only keep a few mainstream brands in many cases (the biggest store ni my area has probably 10 Manfrottos but not much else).

Many people like their 3 Legged Things. And most tripods will work perfectly when the conditions are not too difficult. AND I've personally taken superb 14 minutes exposures with a 40$ Dolica...

From my humble research, Sirui offers a lot of bang for your bucks. Oben are not too far behind also.

Knowing your weight limit and your height requirement is excellent. The last thing I'd try to decide is how you intend to use the tripod (after traveling by plane? Around the house? In cold weather?) etc). Then you will be able to narrow down your choices even more.

That being said, if you like the idea of the Winston, then by all means go for it!