Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I've got a Sirui NX series N-2004X, which I believe is equivalent to the current production model. Extends to a max of a little more than five feet, holds up to thirty-three pounds. Fairly light at a little less than four pounds, head not included. Not entirely vibration free with a K-1 attached to the back of a 560mm lens, but with a ten-pound weight on the hook at the bottom of the center column, a two-second delayed timer, and a cable release, does just fine. (I regard that lens/camera combination as the extreme boundary-condition test.) One leg of the tripod is detachable for use as a monopod. I believe the four-section legs are aluminum on mine, though some are advertised as carbon-fiber. I bought mine used, and I'm pretty happy with it. They make a couple that they advertise as "travel" tripods.
Thanks for your answer. I don't have good option to find their tripods in my country, but still appreciate your advice.

11-03-2019, 12:20 PM   #17
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Finally I am happy withe their grey Universal L bracket
Mines got a fair "green cast" to it...
11-03-2019, 12:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Maybe this website has some reviews, at least for similar tripods. They go to some extremes of testing, so it will take a while to digest the info if the summary isn't conclusive

Tripod Reviews – The Center Column
There's also this post called "Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless" Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless – The Center Column
Thanks for the link. Not a lot of tripods there but still interesting to see this comparison. Gitzo and RRS looks great but they are outside of my budget as for now.
11-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's a hands on review of the Albert tripod on havecamerawilltravel

3 Legged Thing Albert Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod - Hands-on Review

The reviewer said there was some definite flex and wobble when fully extended. And all the number of twist locks (more than other tripods of same height) is a drawback.

The Winston may be a better choice unless space is an issue.
Thanks! Winston looks like a more solid option. There is no free lunch with all this connection points on Albert.

11-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no free lunch with all this connection points on Albert.
Amen! Winston looks much more sturdy, although I'd avoid extending that long centre column by anything much.
11-03-2019, 02:32 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Amen! Winston looks much more sturdy, although I'd avoid extending that long centre column by anything much.
That raises an interesting question: To reach a specified intermediate height, is it better to extend the centre column or to use the final (lowest) leg section?

Most people seem to accept without question that one should use the leg extensions first and the centre column only if necessary, but it is not clear to me that this recipe is always the best. Especially with light travel tripods, the lowest leg section is often pretty spindly, whilst the centre column has no discernible flex in itself. I can feel an experiment coming on.
11-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Especially with light travel tripods, the lowest leg section is often pretty spindly, whilst the centre column has no discernible flex in itself.
It's not the flex of the centre column that's the problem, it's the flex of the centre column within its mount. Extending the column by 6 inches might allow a lot of flex within that mount, especially when all that's holding it might be a clamp screw or a narrow collar clamp. Extending a foot or so allows much more.

11-03-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
That raises an interesting question: To reach a specified intermediate height, is it better to extend the centre column or to use the final (lowest) leg section?

Most people seem to accept without question that one should use the leg extensions first and the centre column only if necessary, but it is not clear to me that this recipe is always the best. Especially with light travel tripods, the lowest leg section is often pretty spindly, whilst the centre column has no discernible flex in itself. I can feel an experiment coming on.
Very good point. I think every tripod is different. On my current tripod both the last leg section and the center column are the weak spots.
11-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Very good point. I think every tripod is different. On my current tripod both the last leg section and the center column are the weak spots.
With my tripod, extending the center column definitely makes it more likely to flex. Of course, some tripods might manage to reduce center column flex through robust design.

Based on my experiences with tripods, another thing to consider is the size of the tripod when it's collapsed. If you're travelling by air, a tripod that is too big to fit into your luggage will have to be checked separately, incurring an extra fee on many airlines.
11-04-2019, 01:36 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
With my tripod, extending the center column definitely makes it more likely to flex. Of course, some tripods might manage to reduce center column flex through robust design.

Based on my experiences with tripods, another thing to consider is the size of the tripod when it's collapsed. If you're travelling by air, a tripod that is too big to fit into your luggage will have to be checked separately, incurring an extra fee on many airlines.
Good point with the airplane luggage. This tripod won't be taken for any travel by air. I know I need at least two different tripods.
11-04-2019, 02:58 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Thanks for the answer. I live in a city with over 200k citizens and no single shop with photo gear.
I was on a street in Melbourne with I think five camera shops within about 100 metres, though none with new Pentax gear on display any more (they can order it in, and some have second hand Pentax for sale).
11-04-2019, 11:24 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Maybe this website has some reviews, at least for similar tripods. They go to some extremes of testing, so it will take a while to digest the info if the summary isn't conclusive

Tripod Reviews – The Center Column
There's also this post called "Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless" Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless – The Center Column
I second the opinion to read the opinions on that blog. While stiffness is of course paramount for a tripod, usability also plays a role. Do you prefer flip locks or twist locks? Do you with for a tripod that's easy to carry or one that's sturdier? How many leg sections? How long and heavy should it be? These things should also be taken into consideration.

I think # legged Things are ok, but more into "form" than "function" if you catch my drift.
11-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
but more into "form" than "function" if you catch my drift
That's a much nicer way of putting it... than my "they appear a bit too trendy/gimmicky for my taste"
11-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I think # legged Things are ok, but more into "form" than "function" if you catch my drift.
It doesn't have to be one or the other.
11-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I second the opinion to read the opinions on that blog. While stiffness is of course paramount for a tripod, usability also plays a role. Do you prefer flip locks or twist locks? Do you with for a tripod that's easy to carry or one that's sturdier? How many leg sections? How long and heavy should it be? These things should also be taken into consideration.

I think 3 legged Things are ok, but more into "form" than "function" if you catch my drift.
Thanks for the answer. I am ok with both types of locks. Weight of the tripod up to 2.5 kg without the head (prefer less). Three or four leg sections, ideally at least 150 cm without extending center column (and without the head). The 'form' aspect is almost irrelevant to me. I asked about Winston and the 360 ball head because it fits - on the paper - my needs and it's possible I can get good deal on it (330 Euro for new one with the head). The problem that I have is that I won't be able to put my hands on it before buying and the specification on the paper and real life can be two different stories in case of a tripod.