Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 02:30 AM   #1
Pentaxian

3 legged thing tripods.

Hi. I am looking for quite light and robust tripod and ball head with panning option. Do you have any experience with 3 legged thing Albert or Winston tripods and their 360 ball head? How much weight can they really hold (will be used up to k-1 with DFA 15-30)? Are they robust?

11-03-2019, 03:02 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
are you looking for a table top tripod ?

if so, this one is hard to beat

QuoteQuote:
Folded Length :165mm / 6.5inch
Weight: 261g / 9.2oz
Max Extended Length :110mm / 3.9inch
Max Load (Tripod) :80kg / 176lb

The legs have one locked position, and turning the single wheel lock can fan the legs all the way out for a flat tripod.
The locked position creates a 10" diameter between all the legs
When the legs go completely flat, the diameter between all the legs is 12"

please see this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/36082...ml#post4206692

numerous photos showing multiple positions and lenses can be found there with more details
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/-moman-mini-tripod.html#ixzz64CvNh5xO
11-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not table top. Both tripods that I mentioned go well above my eye level.
11-03-2019, 03:21 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry, no coffee yet today

have you looked at this section of the forum yet?

Tripods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

11-03-2019, 04:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Hi. I am looking for quite light and robust tripod and ball head with panning option. Do you have any experience with 3 legged thing Albert or Winston tripods and their 360 ball head? How much weight can they really hold (will be used up to k-1 with DFA 15-30)? Are they robust?
Interesting question. I don't know about these two models, but I have been investigating their Corey travel tripod recently, and checked one out in a shop last week. It is quite light and very compact. It is rated to 14 kg, which you wouldn't think possible to look at its spindly legs. However, erecting it in the shop and leaning on it, I now believe it. On the other hand, user reviews I have seen report parts falling off randomly during carriage, so robustness/QC may be an issue with the brand.

Looking forward to hearing about the Albert and Winston.
11-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much weight can they really hold (will be used up to k-1 with DFA 15-30)? Are they robust?
They are both rated high enough for that combo.
11-03-2019, 04:58 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

3 legged thing tripods.
3 Legged Thing tripods... I've always been of the opinion (perhaps unfairly) that they appear a bit too trendy/gimmicky for my taste, when comparing with other manufacturers. That said... I've bought their Universal L Brackets and they've proven to be absolutely fine.

With tripod selection I think so much depends on the type usage and then the actual carrying (manhandling) about needs... as then one tripod seldom suits all scenarios.

I've always bought bigger and heavy than I currently need, as you tend to grow into a tripod. That way you also tend to buy it right once, it's worth investing in a both a good tripod and head, as it will last you almost a lifetime.

Also consider getting good legs and then a good head to go on the legs, combination deals of both together, always seem to be a bit of compromise IMHO.

FWIW, I'm now lucky enough to be using RRS equipment and I have never looked back... plus of course an old Benbo Classic MkII for those odd awkward jobs.

Hope this helps you with your choices.

11-03-2019, 05:38 AM   #8
Unregistered User

I've got a Sirui NX series N-2004X, which I believe is equivalent to the current production model. Extends to a max of a little more than five feet, holds up to thirty-three pounds. Fairly light at a little less than four pounds, head not included. Not entirely vibration free with a K-1 attached to the back of a 560mm lens, but with a ten-pound weight on the hook at the bottom of the center column, a two-second delayed timer, and a cable release, does just fine. (I regard that lens/camera combination as the extreme boundary-condition test.) One leg of the tripod is detachable for use as a monopod. I believe the four-section legs are aluminum on mine, though some are advertised as carbon-fiber. I bought mine used, and I'm pretty happy with it. They make a couple that they advertise as "travel" tripods.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 11-03-2019 at 06:01 AM.
11-03-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Maybe this website has some reviews, at least for similar tripods. They go to some extremes of testing, so it will take a while to digest the info if the summary isn't conclusive

Tripod Reviews – The Center Column
There's also this post called "Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless" Tripod Weight Ratings Are Meaningless – The Center Column
11-03-2019, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #10

There's a hands on review of the Albert tripod on havecamerawilltravel

3 Legged Thing Albert Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod - Hands-on Review

The reviewer said there was some definite flex and wobble when fully extended. And all the number of twist locks (more than other tripods of same height) is a drawback.

The Winston may be a better choice unless space is an issue.
11-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The reviewer said there was some definite flex and wobble when fully extended. And all the number of twist locks (more than other tripods of same height) is a drawback.
Always a trade off with tripods. More leg sections mean shorter retracted length for carrying, but weaker structure. 3- sections are the best, and don't rely on raising the centre column which is another point of weakness.
11-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
sorry, no coffee yet today

have you looked at this section of the forum yet?

Tripods - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thank you for the link. I will take a look at the reviews.
11-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Interesting question. I don't know about these two models, but I have been investigating their Corey travel tripod recently, and checked one out in a shop last week. It is quite light and very compact. It is rated to 14 kg, which you wouldn't think possible to look at its spindly legs. However, erecting it in the shop and leaning on it, I now believe it. On the other hand, user reviews I have seen report parts falling off randomly during carriage, so robustness/QC may be an issue with the brand.

Looking forward to hearing about the Albert and Winston.
Thanks for the answer. I live in a city with over 200k citizens and no single shop with photo gear.
11-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
They are both rated high enough for that combo.
I know they are rated for that. But this tripod ratings are totally subjective. So first hand impression would be a good starting point.
11-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
3 Legged Thing tripods... I've always been of the opinion (perhaps unfairly) that they appear a bit too trendy/gimmicky for my taste, when comparing with other manufacturers. That said... I've bought their Universal L Brackets and they've proven to be absolutely fine.

With tripod selection I think so much depends on the type usage and then the actual carrying (manhandling) about needs... as then one tripod seldom suits all scenarios.

I've always bought bigger and heavy than I currently need, as you tend to grow into a tripod. That way you also tend to buy it right once, it's worth investing in a both a good tripod and head, as it will last you almost a lifetime.

Also consider getting good legs and then a good head to go on the legs, combination deals of both together, always seem to be a bit of compromise IMHO.

FWIW, I'm now lucky enough to be using RRS equipment and I have never looked back... plus of course an old Benbo Classic MkII for those odd awkward jobs.

Hope this helps you with your choices.
Thank you for the answer!

I am aware of that there are different tripods for different scenarios. Now I have a descent Benro tripod with4 sections that extends to around 155cm without center column and head. It is good enough indoors or outside in good weather but not solid enough when its windy and I need to fully extend legs.I almost never use the center column outside. So in fact I am interested in Winston and their Air Head 360. Finally I am happy withe their grey Universal L bracket