Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My removable hand strap solution

I like having a hand strap on my camera most of the time. But I want to be able to add a neck strap or something else without a lot of struggling with camera attachment points.

My hand strap is a really cheap JJC thing, because I knew I'd probably cut it up. I did cut slits in the outside to hide an Optech connector and make the hand strap short enough to work. The padded thing is now a sleeve that can slide back enough to release the connector. Some hand straps have a single attachment but I like having an attachment in the tripod socket, because it keeps the strap in place and makes it easy to pick up or put down the camera. The tripod connector needs to be a larger plate so I can set the camera down on a table. Right now it falls forward and rests on the lens, annoying.

I'm using three cameras to show different ways I can use the Optech connector system. I bought two straps, a set of strap extensions, some webbing connectors and a set of Uni-Loop connectors. The webbing connectors are used in the hand strap. The bottom camera has the hand strap, and a dangling connector on the left. I used webbing connectors to attach to the camera but Uni-Loop connectors seem to be OK too. The middle camera has the Uni-loop connectors on the camera, strap extensions and the padded neckband from one strap. The top camera has the other camera strap without neckband, with just the connectors clipped together. That's what I tried first, but it wasn't great. I can't put the hand strap on that one quickly, but removing the neck band makes the strap less bulky and eaasier to put on a shelf. When the camera is in a bag, a long neck strap is usually in the way.

In the future, I'll modify the hand strap's tripod plate to make it easier to set down the camera on a table, attach an elastic to it to hold down the loose left side connector and put a connector on my backpack to clip to the camera. Then I think I'll be happy. I can quickly switch between hand or neck strap on two cameras.

More hand strap options are in this thread. I was surprised how useful they are. You might think the camera isn't that secure without a death grip, but it's pretty easy to maintain a grip.

Hand Strap Recommendations? - PentaxForums.com

11-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cunning. My only concern would be the connector. Some of those hold really well, while others have the uncanny ability to unclip when you don't want them to. The trick, I suppose, would be to test the connectors before use.
11-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice invention. I never use my strap around my neck and end up wrapping it around my wrist. This might be useful.
11-05-2019, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The Peak Design anchors are a possibility. They are very easy to use, and you can fit two to each anchor point if you wish. Alternatively, you can fit one or more to the tripod connector. A wrist strap and a hand strap are also available.

11-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
The Peak Design anchors are a possibility. They are very easy to use, and you can fit two to each anchor point if you wish. Alternatively, you can fit one or more to the tripod connector. A wrist strap and a hand strap are also available.
Very clever! This addresses my concern about a secure connector.
11-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

to make sure my camera and lens doesn't drop because of a failed connection between the strap and the camera

I use a Optech USA Utility strap

I hook the " D " ring of a Joby Camera Tether into the metal ring of the camera attachment point after looping into the main strap

so I have a metal to metal connection to the camera

Camera Tether - Fits heavy DSLR & Mirrorless Cameras | JOBY
11-06-2019, 09:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did a homemade job for a hand strap. I cut the strap of my K-x in half, and sewed the strap into a loop, which fits around the wrist. I attached it to the right attachment point, so I can carry the camera by the grip, while having the security that I can't drop it. It works for the K-x, but might not be strong enough for the heavier cameras.

11-07-2019, 05:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I use Peak Design anchors. In fact, since I've discovered their Capture Clip and anchors, I rarely use a neck/shoulder strap. I bought two Anchor Clips and a strip of leather off eBay (for 2 bucks) and made myself this:

I prefer it to their own hand strap, because that one doesn't use the top anchor (for comfort, they say).

I've used Op-Tech products in the past and they are excellent, however I much prefer the smaller footprint of the Peak Design anchors.