Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 04:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

iFootage Tripods

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone use any of these? I have some specific questions wondering if someone who has one can answer.

Cheers!

BB

11-12-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
iFootage Tripods
No sorry... I'd never heard of them 'til I read this post and then Googled them.

On first look... for my usage perhaps a little on the lightweight side, but then for a travelling tripod, that could I guess make them ideal.

Should you go this route... let us all know, how you get with a wee product review.
11-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
No sorry... I'd never heard of them 'til I read this post and then Googled them.

On first look... for my usage perhaps a little on the lightweight side, but then for a travelling tripod, that could I guess make them ideal.

Should you go this route... let us all know, how you get with a wee product review.
Really? The ones I am looking at extend to 1650mm and take 6-8kg, sounds more than a travel one...

It's the 'fastbowl' feature I am mostly interested in. I think I will get one, just deciding on whether I want one with a centre column or not..
11-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Really? The ones I am looking at extend to 1650mm and take 6-8kg, sounds more than a travel one...
To let you understand I'm a RRS kinda guy... you could tie up Battleships to my kit.

11-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
To let you understand I'm a RRS kinda guy... you could tie up Battleships to my kit.
hehe, I'm just a wee thing
11-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never believe Always take with a grain of salt the weight specifications for a tripod or head. With very few exceptions they are overstated by at least a factor of two and are usually predicated on the load being balanced and level. Tilt that big lens down and watch those legs flex.

Steve

(...Recipe for shutter shock...take one travel tripod fully extended...)
11-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remember to untie before Calmac sail, they wait for no-one!

11-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Just remember to untie before Calmac sail, they wait for no-one!
No your right, but their ferries aren't big enough to take on the combined might of RRS tripod and ball head.

11-12-2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bought the TA6, will let you know how it goes.
11-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Looking forward to your opinion.

Some "relative unknowns" on the tripod market end up being pretty good (witness Sirui). Others aren't impressive. I believe the FastBowl is similar to what can be found on some Gitzo tripods, later "inspiring" a slew of other companies like Oben's sister company Robus, sold at B&H).
11-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Having looked at the UK price, I think I'll pass.
11-14-2019, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Having looked at the UK price, I think I'll pass.
I can't afford the carbon fibre ones so I have went for Aluminium, The TA6 at least seems reasonably priced over here. Tripods are another one of these things that us Aussies end up paying quite a lot for with few vendors to buy from. Shipping from B&H usually kills any deal they have.

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Looking forward to your opinion.

Some "relative unknowns" on the tripod market end up being pretty good (witness Sirui). Others aren't impressive. I believe the FastBowl is similar to what can be found on some Gitzo tripods, later "inspiring" a slew of other companies like Oben's sister company Robus, sold at B&H).
I haven't had the best of luck with tripods so far. My first real tripod was the Promaster XC525, I paid $200AUD for this one in store at our local camera shop;

XC525 Tripod with Head - Black

Unfortunately one of the legs came right out and the plastic flange things are busted pretty badly, and even though I manage to put it back together again it keeps getting jammed and needs reset. I asked Promaster (a USA company) to send me out new plastic flange tips, but they said they will not send to an Aussie postal address... :/ So I gave them a friends address in USA and still nothing, I gave up.
In addition to that issue the knobs are generally showing issues, untightening slowly etc. The rubber around the knobs have broken and I have had to put something else in its place like cloth tape or something else (rubber bands even) just so I can get some grip when I tighten the knobs. At the end of the day for $200AUD its just too expensive and only lasted 2yrs. Speaking with others about twist lock legs the plastic flange things inside seems to be a 'thing', so I am put off from buying another twist lock system in fear that they too have cheap parts and engineering principles in how it works as well.

Next up I tried Vanguard. In a sale ($250>$200AUD) I was able to buy this particular model Alta Pro+ 263AB100 which featured a different kind of twist lock, the 35 degree patented revolution thing. This seemed to differ to the other type quite a lot as you didn't continually twist and twist to lock and unlock. Well... the first model was DOA, one of the twist locks was broken and 'grinding'. I was however impressed with the other aspects of build quality, it's very hard to get a tripod with a centre column that tilts at this price range, here you can see the tripod being used for a light/snoot for this shot and the centre column tilting;

So I returned the DOA tripod and replaced with another one. It lasted 2 months before running into the same failure on the 35 degree twist lock. Returned it and got my money back. Shame, it was a nice tripod, the ball head and column were great but I felt that leg tech is something to stay away from.

And so... I had the chance to get the iFootage TA6 for $311 instead of $379, so we'll see how that one goes. It wasn't a decision I have made lightly, I watched many reviews and they all seemed to scream the same thing, high quality. I have levers instead of twist locks, it has a bag hook, a quick removable centre column to get lower shots, a built in head of sorts with its Fastbowl thing. Really I was torn between the centre column version and the TA7 version which has none;

IFOOTAGE GAZELLE TA7 ALUMINIUM 3-SECTION TRIPOD WITH FAST BOWL (IF-TA7) | eBay

In the end I decided I actually do use column to adjust height quite a bit so that's what steered me towards the TA6, I do however like the simplicity of the TA7, should be a very quick tripod to use in the field if specific heights are not paramount to the shot. I plan to use a Manfrotto Adapter Plate on my head and dock the camera straight in. Exciting, its due for delivery today.

In summary it seems like a tripod more aimed at the videographer than photographer, and I'm taking that as a good sign. I'll update this post with feedback when I have it.
11-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

So I returned the DOA tripod and replaced with another one. It lasted 2 months before running into the same failure on the 35 degree twist lock. Returned it and got my money back. Shame, it was a nice tripod, the ball head and column were great but I felt that leg tech is something to stay away from.
It's a shame, and surprising since Vanguard is a well-regarded company. I have not used their tripods (except in trade shows) but own one of their ball heads, and have owned it for many years. It still works flawlessly even though it met sand, dirt, salt water sprays, etc.

And so... I had the chance to get the iFootage TA6 for $311 instead of $379, so we'll see how that one goes. It wasn't a decision I have made lightly, I watched many reviews and they all seemed to scream the same thing, high quality.
I really look forward to your own opinion. That price puts it in the middle of the pack , maybe a bit higher since it's aluminum. I hope it serves you well.
11-18-2019, 10:14 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
It's a shame, and surprising since Vanguard is a well-regarded company. I have not used their tripods (except in trade shows) but own one of their ball heads, and have owned it for many years. It still works flawlessly even though it met sand, dirt, salt water sprays, etc.

I really look forward to your own opinion. That price puts it in the middle of the pack , maybe a bit higher since it's aluminum. I hope it serves you well.
11-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Very interesting comments! I'm gald you like your tripod. It should serve you well.

Nice Ikea table and kid's chair