Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #31
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I was shooting primes in those days and could fit a 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm macro, 200mm, 1.4X extender, 2X extender, extension tube set, an LX, and an MX in the main compartment...while the side pocket held graduated ND and polarizing filters, close-up lens, flash, reversing ring, and a cleaning kit, along with several rolls of film.
It's a wonder you ever managed to get the bag off the floor...

12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a wonder you ever managed to get the bag off the floor...
It sounds like a lot, but it wasn't that bad because the lenses were smaller, slightly slower primes. However...yeah, for a relatively small bag, it was heavier than you'd think. lol

Edited to add: It was like this bag on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-FOTIMA-PROFESSIONAL-Camera-SLR-DSLR-Travel-...YAAOSwub1c9aI6

I didn't carry my cameras with any lenses attached, so I basically had the interior divided into seven sections. Two small sections held the LX and MX bodies, two others held the 100mm macro and 200mm, then I stacked things in the other 3 sections...16/24...35/50...extension tubes/extenders.

Last edited by TaoMaas; 12-12-2019 at 02:37 PM.
12-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best shoulder bag: Lowepro Off Road, bought about 25 years ago, still my main bag for any quick occasions. The shoulder strap is far better than anything I've ever seen in the past few years: contoured and with a choice between an extra grippy and a smooth texture side. Quality materials throughout - all zippers, dividers, pockets still work like they should. The additional two lens cases provide flexibility. Not too heavy, but still rigid and well padded. Hip belt is actually built to carry weight, but I wouldn't carry it as a hip bag, even though this was the design intention. I wish the belt was detachable though, because it complicates handling when I use it inside an Ortlieb backpacker on my bicycle.

Best hiking photo-backpack: Mindshift Gear rotation180 Horizon (non-pro), pro felt too bulky to me. Most spine-friendly quick-access hiking solution for day hikes and cross-country skiing. I also have a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW with side access, but after some long day hikes with plenty of water to carry, my spine disks would complain about the one-sided load when accessing the camera that way and my shoulders about too thin straps. The Horizon isn't free from issues and is a mess and hard to access when not on my back, lacks an organizer pocket for filters & co, but its advantages when in actual use compensate for that.

Worst: I have a love/hate relationship with the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L. It may have cost me more than its retail price for a repair replacing the top cover of my K-1 and some lens shade. It's 'accessibility' is dangerous at times, you really need to pay attention to not let anything fall out, PD's origami lens cradles don't have a way to secure items. In an attempt to catch something, my camera strap slipped off my shoulder and my K-1 made contact with the concrete pavement ... But I still love it for business trips when I just bring the KP with a zoom and maybe one additional lens and have enough easily accessible space for everything else I need for two days. Also very handy as carry-on.

Last edited by JensE; 12-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.
12-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Best and Worst Bag Purchased?
To me, the best bag purchased is always the latest purchased bag, so it is the Peakdesign 5l sling bag right now.

the worst bag purchased is... always everything before the latest!

12-13-2019, 05:08 AM   #35
Pentaxian

My brother was in town visiting me recently and since he loves thrift stores and garage sales as much as I do, we stopped by one of the bigger Goodwill shops in my area. I didn't know what it was until I looked it up later, but I found a very cool Incase Ari Marcopoulos bag, which I bought. On the drive back to my house, I told my brother, "I want to apologize in advance for the fight that's about to happen." He said, "What fight?" I said, "The one that's going to break out between my wife and me when I walk through the door with yet another camera bag." I also told him about talking to an old friend about guitars recently. I asked my friend how many guitars he had and he said, "I'm not quite sure. All I know is that my wife has told me that the next guitar I buy is the one she's going to beat me to death with." Yeah...it's like that. lol
12-13-2019, 06:19 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Best hiking photo-backpack: Mindshift Gear rotation180 Horizon (non-pro), pro felt too bulky to me. Most spine-friendly quick-access hiking solution for day hikes and cross-country skiing.
Great to see another fan of the Horizon! While it's popular in its own right, I don't understand why it'S not picked up more by hikers.

The Horizon isn't free from issues and is a mess and hard to access when not on my back, lacks an organizer pocket for filters & co, but its advantages when in actual use compensate for that.
True about access when not on the back. I find that cliping the belt buckle even when not wearing it helps. As for filters, I have a small (and cheap) case for them, and just throw that case somewhere in the bag. sometimes in the mesh pocket at the top of the camera compartment.

Worst: I have a love/hate relationship with the Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L. It may have cost me more than its retail price for a repair replacing the top cover of my K-1 and some lens shade. It's 'accessibility' is dangerous at times, you really need to pay attention to not let anything fall out, PD's origami lens cradles don't have a way to secure items. In an attempt to catch something, my camera strap slipped off my shoulder and my K-1 made contact with the concrete pavement ... But I still love it for business trips when I just bring the KP with a zoom and maybe one additional lens and have enough easily accessible space for everything else I need for two days. Also very handy as carry-on.
Interesting take on the EDB. I plan on testing it in the near future, I'll keep that in mind.
12-13-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The Peak Design metal buckle left a scar on the back of the LCD of my almost brand new K-1, I never quite forgave Peak Design for designing a strap that has to be taken off the camera to be stored in a camera bag.

12-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
The Peak Design metal buckle left a scar on the back of the LCD of my almost brand new K-1, I never quite forgave Peak Design for designing a strap that has to be taken off the camera to be stored in a camera bag.
That's sad to hear. While I don't use the strap often, I did take care to place it carefully in the bag (but then again, I did that with all my straps). Sorry your experience wasn't ideal.
12-16-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

The worst bag is the one that opens up and lets out your gear to hit the ground
12-16-2019, 11:04 PM - 2 Likes   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Best bag - Domke. Have F1X, F2, 3 F3X, and a F6X. Bags built to get out of the way and let me photograph. Skips all the consumer "features" like ridiculous amounts of padding, trying to advertise the most pockets (most too small to hold any real equipment), endless amounts of customizable velcro partions, ballistic nylon, and the "hot new innovation" that will be gone in next years bag line.

Worst bag - any of those vinyl bags made in the 70's. God awful.

Runner up worst - a FujiFilm photo vest that has so many little & hidden pockets, equipment can't ever be found in a timely manner.
Thanks,
barondla
12-17-2019, 06:19 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Best bag - Domke.
I'd be interested in learning more about why some people like their Domke so much. I've tested and reviewed a lot of bags over the last few years. I've handled some Domke bags in stores, never performed a thorough review however. From what I've seen, Domke bags really do not appeal to me, but others disagree. So I'd like to learn why.
12-17-2019, 08:07 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Best bag: think tank perception 15, it works great for me for commuting with a laptop, camera, and stuff such as food.
Second best: tenba byob 9, it fits in my hiking backpack and also cycling handlebar perfectly

Worst bag: hardly bad, quite the contrary objectively but not suitable for my needs, I ended up using the think tank retrospective 30 infrequently because it's much larger than I need for a shoulder bag. I still have it though

Last edited by aaacb; 12-17-2019 at 08:13 PM.
12-17-2019, 08:15 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Domke bags were designed by a professional photographer (Jim Domke) to make his job easier. Other press photographers saw his custom bag and requested one. The Domke bag was born. As Chris said above, they are simple to use and well thought out. Things I like about my Domke:

1. Optimal padding. Most bags are over padded. Consumers tend to worry about their equipment more than use it. A Domke bag holds more equipment than similar sized bags. They are much larger inside than people expect. The F3 bag is about 12" h X 10"w X 8" d. I carry a Pentax 6X7 and 2 lenses and accessories in it.

2. Removable inserts. Bigger Domke bags have removable modular lens inserts. The standard insert has 4 compartments. There are 2 and 3 compartment inserts available to allow customization. The compartments are sealed from each other. Equipment doesn't migrate under dividers to a different part of the bag. The inserts allow rapidly reconfiguring the whole main compartment. Some people even buy extra inserts to store lenses in. As an example insert 1 could hold all FF lenses. A 2nd insert could hold all DA lenses. A 3rd insert could hold all primes while a 4th hold all zooms. 3 inserts can sit in a cabinet at home loaded with lenses. Decide what equipment will be used and place that insert in the bag.

3. Insert and pocket sizes that match available equipment. Domke bags have larger openings to fit common big lenses. 77mm filter size lenses are no problem. The bags and also are tall enough to handle these bigger lenses.

4. Fasteners. The Domke allows 1 handed opening and closing. Speed of access!

5. Large lid flaps. The flap hangs 2/3 of the way to the bottom of the bag. This protects against rain. It also means a Domke lid tends to stay closed without latching. If the top/front lid pocket is loaded with equipment, the weight also helps to keep the lid shut. I rarely latch the bag until the end of the day or while riding in a car.

6. Canvas construction. Quieter (important for wildlife photography), less static electricity, and less wear to clothes via rubbing. The canvas strap also has some give, which reduces the shock of walking and makes the bag feel lighter.

Domke bags are about work flow. They are also similar to Pentax cameras. Their main strengths can't be learned from a spec sheet or review. They have to be used. Try one a few months and see if they work for you.

Thanks,
barondla
12-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
The worst bag is the one that opens up and lets out your gear to hit the ground
That is what happened with me and a Lowepro Nova AW and a DA 15mm. it had no zipper nor velcro, only clasps. The DA 15mm slipped out when i was scrambling by a waterfall, and the DA 15mm rolled down a hill hitting a few rocks along the way. Now I always make sure that a field bag has a zipper or really strong velcro.
12-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
That is what happened with me and a Lowepro Nova AW and a DA 15mm. it had no zipper nor velcro, only clasps.
Ouch. While I dislike my Nova 160 AW (bought used) because of a crumbling material on the grip, it does have a zipper and a clasp.