Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
The problem for some (me) is that a properly designed and adjusted backpack is supposed to transfer virtually all of the weight to the hips via the hip belt. The shoulder straps are for stability only. I passed on this pack previously because a user review complained about shoulder soreness after a number of miles. I appreciate your candid review and experience: it seams to confirm that user review.
Yes in fact that is why I do the insert, I can distribute the weight where I want it, and put it a bag fitted for me rather than the one size fits all camera backpacks (most of which are too bulky or they dont have hip belts that don't really push weight to the hips). Granted you do lose a bit of access, and finding perfect insert is a game in of itself...

05-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #77

Great thread, i see a lot of great bags, i was using a Vivitar backpack and then bought a Think Tank for my drone and DSLR but not lasted much because i was to big, also owned a Lowepro passport slingshot, still have the vivitar backpack but dont use it, i bought a Lowepro Protactic 350 AW and it has been great bag for my needs, im able to fit two cameras with lens attached, Pentax K3 II with the 18-135mm and a Canon T5i with the 18-55mm, also have in the bag a Samyang 10mm and a Pentax 80-320mm, cleaning gear for the lenses, two extra batteries for the K3 II, iPad, a Panasonic Lumix LX10, external Flash, can attach a big or small tripod on the outside, also can attach a water bottle or other gear on the outside, recently i bought a K5 II so im hoping it will fit the camera taking out the external flash. I had it now for three years and no complaints, not to bulky and can store most of my gear, great for hikes on the hot summer days in Mexico.
05-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My latest review has been published, two bags for the price of one, check it out!

Peak Design Everyday Backpack V2 and Backpack Zip Review Posted - Review Announcements | PentaxForums.com
05-11-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #79
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Probably the best camera bag I have had is an old Domke bag which is probably as old as my K2 DMD, I also have an assortment of Domke bags bought for various purposes. I usually have them set up so I can just chuck a camera in the bag, plus a few spare batteries and i'm ready to go. For working with long lenses 200mm+ my choice bags have been the Lowepro flipside 300 AW and Trekker 600 AW - both bags are built with distinct functions in mind and serve their purpose well.

The casual use bags have changed every now and then, at present I have an ONA prince Street bag in cognac leather though Is a bag that has style over substance issues and a Crumpler Creator's Life Hack backpack which has a handy external USB connector that I can connect a USB powerbank that at dawn and dusk I use to power a small but very bright USB torch.
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Whilst a bit of a Domke fan..... I'm now trying some motorcycle bags....

this one for a K1 with DFA 150-450 mounted

Nomad XL - Waxed Canvas - Sling Bag - Jack Stillman

And this one as a walk around for K1 and the 3 limiteds or whatever

Tommy Satchel - Waxed Canvas - Jack Stillman

They are super tough and don't look like camera bags..... very pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Best bag...my two Domke F2 Originals. Exceptional quality in material , clips, straps. Only problem with Domke , hard to get Domke stuff in Canada...why...I do not know. Recently tried to get a Domke 1.5 inch camera strap for my K1. Either Canadian camera stores don;t carry it, when they advertise that they do...or when I look at ordering from across the line, price of shipping, etc...seems excessive.

Worst...I bought it about 8 years ago. Equipment fell out of it...sold it...within about 6 months. Was recommended by a camera store sales woman.

Can't recall the name of the bag.
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Best bag - Domke. Have F1X, F2, 3 F3X, and a F6X. Bags built to get out of the way and let me photograph. Skips all the consumer "features" like ridiculous amounts of padding, trying to advertise the most pockets (most too small to hold any real equipment), endless amounts of customizable velcro partions, ballistic nylon, and the "hot new innovation" that will be gone in next years bag line.

Worst bag - any of those vinyl bags made in the 70's. God awful.

Runner up worst - a FujiFilm photo vest that has so many little & hidden pockets, equipment can't ever be found in a timely manner.
Thanks,
barondla
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
I found a ' bigger bag ' a Lowepro 200 AW 11 its big alright makes the 170 look like a' toy' bag.....if there was only something between them.......the search the search

Dave
After trying a number of bags Ive standardized on Domke. I have F2x2, F3, F4x2, F5xb and F6. I like the canvas material, the shoulder straps, the pockets and the accessories. My only gripe is they can store so much that I tend to take everything - then Im lugging 60 lbs. around.

I use a LowePro 200 AW for a long lens outing.

My least favorite bags are anything rectangular and rigid made by LowePro - I forget the model numbers. I have a Peak Design fabric messenger bag thats a great bag, but not for cameras. I took out all the dividers and use it to carry my laptop and files.

05-11-2020, 11:45 AM - 1 Like   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of my best bags say "Domke" on them...

Chris
05-11-2020, 11:49 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have many bags, and on a given day for a given use, they all get used. Which is the best depends on what day it is, and what the job is.
Glad I could be helpful.