Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2019, 01:38 AM - 1 Like   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Best and Worst Bag Purchased
For me there's never really been a worst bag... just a different bag.

Over the years worked my through various brands, like most of us I'm sure, no... ok just me then.

Transit bags - it has always been Peli (Pelicans), robust, watertight, dust proof and the ones I use (1510) is usually maximum airline carry on size.

Location/Shoot Bags - Lowepro Magnums, Crumpler Daily XXLs and the one I've settled on now, Billingham 445s.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-20-2019 at 08:45 AM.
11-20-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
Pentaxian

That is a difficult question!

I've tested so many bags over the years.

The worst I've used (apart from cheap eBay junk)is probably anything from Domke. These bags seem to come from another age.

The best... it depends (or "it's complicated"...)

-The best slings

Mindshift Gear Photocross 13 if I want comfort

Peak Design sling 10L if I want elegance and to be able to use a Capture Clip

-The best Messenger

Peak Designer Everyday Messenger 15

Closely followed by the Think Tank Signature 13

-The best travel backpack

Peak Design Travel Backpack with camera cubes

-The best hiking backpack

Mindshift Gear rotation180 Horizon one of my all-time favourites

-The best minimalist backpack

Wandrd Veer 18L with camera cube (review coming soon)

-The best city backpack

That's the toughest. It depends on what you want, really. The Think Tank Perception Pro and ShapeShifter and interesting but don't offer quick access. The Mission Workshop Integer is by far the most robust I've tested. The Peak Design Everyday Backpack has a lot of followers (and inspired two other bags, the Lowepro Freeline BP and the Think Tank Urban Access).

Last edited by bdery; 05-11-2020 at 10:43 AM.
11-20-2019, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The best bag is always the one you are looking at but haven't bought yet. I am glad I am not the only one that has a closet full of camera bags.
11-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"For me there's never really been a worst bag... just a different bag."

This sums it up for me. When acquiring additional gear, I find my current bag just won't accommodate everything, so have to search for a new bag. That doesn't mean the older bag was unsatisfactory, rather just need an upgrade. I tend to buy quality bags, simply because I want my equipment safe, so none have had issues with seams, etc. I mainly use my bags at home for storage, rather than out shooting.

Right now, I have 2 Tamrac backpack camera bags that I'm using. I am considering getting one large one with wheels. So it continues.

11-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

My best/favorite has been a Domke F-5XC (according to my Amazon purchase history that's the name).

The bag isn't bulky, and it has a nice little under compartment that has been great for the small Pentax primes or for my 60-250 zoom. It is versatile and light-weight. It is fairly durable, but it doesn't have much padding. It isn't much bigger than a holster, and it is pretty comfortable to carry; although, if I squeeze in 4+ lenses (doable with a bunch of primes), it can get a bit much when hiking.

I've had some bad bags, but it is hard to say one is the worst. I've had some holster bags, which I had bought for the same purpose as the Domke that is my favorite, but they never had the versatility to carry much more than the camera and maybe one extra lens. They can be more comfortable and better padded.

Perhaps the worst was buying a Timbuk-2 messenger bag with their camera insert. It isn't truly a camera bag, but experience had been that it worked well and didn't scream there is a camera inside. That is true, but the insert just floated around. In fairness, their bags don't hold a shape well for much.
11-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Whilst a bit of a Domke fan..... I'm now trying some motorcycle bags....

this one for a K1 with DFA 150-450 mounted

Nomad XL - Waxed Canvas - Sling Bag - Jack Stillman

And this one as a walk around for K1 and the 3 limiteds or whatever

Tommy Satchel - Waxed Canvas - Jack Stillman

They are super tough and don't look like camera bags..... very pentax.

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-22-2019 at 05:34 AM.
11-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Perhaps the worst was buying a Timbuk-2 messenger bag with their camera insert. It isn't truly a camera bag, but experience had been that it worked well and didn't scream there is a camera inside. That is true, but the insert just floated around. In fairness, their bags don't hold a shape well for much.
Strange. I used their camera bag for a few years and even though it was too heavy, it worked very well and the insert certainly didn't move. Did you use a different model to which you added an insert? Maybe that's the difference.

They aren't making that dedicated bag anymore. They had some clever ideas, I'm sure they could have upgraded it to more modern standards.

11-22-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Kerrowdown and CSA I just make what ever bag I have work for me. Once I get them set up the way I need them I get used to theme. My longest used bag is a Costar bag that I got so long ago that I have no idea where I got it. Still doing a good job holding my K3 kit. Using an burnt orange Tenba shoulder bag of some type for my go to K1 bag.

I also have two backpack bags. One is a Lowepro Mini Trekker that I got in 1997. A few months ago my wife's best friend gave me her old Nikon film kit along with a Tamrac Expedition 5 backpack. Sold the camera and lenses for a few bucks and kept the backpack.
11-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #24
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"For me there's never really been a worst bag... just a different bag."
Great minds think alike.
11-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Like Kerrowdown and CSA I just make what ever bag I have work for me.
Another in the great minds club...
12-05-2019, 09:22 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Best bag...my two Domke F2 Originals. Exceptional quality in material , clips, straps. Only problem with Domke , hard to get Domke stuff in Canada...why...I do not know. Recently tried to get a Domke 1.5 inch camera strap for my K1. Either Canadian camera stores don;t carry it, when they advertise that they do...or when I look at ordering from across the line, price of shipping, etc...seems excessive.

Worst...I bought it about 8 years ago. Equipment fell out of it...sold it...within about 6 months. Was recommended by a camera store sales woman.

Can't recall the name of the bag.
12-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I almost got the Shimoda Action X50 during the Kickstarter. Plenty of space for me to haul both my bodies and lenses and tripods. But it came down to too much money.

I think it really is specific to you. I am looking for something to carry two K-1's, 15-30, 28-105, Rokinon 14mm, assorted crap including LED lights or light painting, small tripods for the lights. Ability to carry 2 normal tripods.

Now I would not take that kit hiking (very far) but I have done it for small distances. 10 feet from the car... But I need something to carry all that crap.

You might not need to carry that much crap (I hope not). And so your needs would be different.

Currently, I have had the Amazon Basics DSLR bag. Had it for 3 or 4 years. The inside Velcro sections can move around and sometimes can be a pain. But for the price, it is awesome. I bet the Shimoda would have been a dream. But the price was just not worth it.

I think you can some up these random thoughts as: Best bag, the bag someone else has. Worst bag, the one I have.
12-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I bet the Shimoda would have been a dream. But the price was just not worth it.
I would love to get my hands on a Shimoda backpack, their products look interesting and well-made. No success so far...
12-09-2019, 10:55 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My top 3 bags that I use are in order of size:

Apecase ACPro1400 - Its big enough to hold 2 cameras with lenses, and 2 extra lenses. Its deep enough to hold a K-3 with a 50-135 mounted or a DA 300mm unmounted. Because it has a flat bottom, I can easily put it on the ground without the worry of it tipping over. Its big enough to hold a lot but not so big to be monstrous and heavy. I did modify the dividers so that everything top loads (it defaults to a weird stacking layout)/

Think Tank Retrospective 7 - Its big enough to hold a K-1 and 2 lenses. it can hold two bodies in a pinch but be they are too close for comfort if one of them is a K-1 or gripped and you have no room for lenses. Think Tanks build quality is legendary, and its filled with great features like really good velcro and non-flexing dividers.

A Tamrac Explorer Holster case - This case has been with me since my *Ist DL (sorry I can't type that old Pentax camera name without without a chuckle). It works great for one camera and lens. You can put a second lens inside if its a limited or old Takumar. This bag will survive the apocalypse. Unfortunately Tamrac was bought out, and the quality of new Tamrac bags went sharply downhill.

Every other case I use is either a storage only case or its a variant of the types I have above but never as good in some way. I have yet to find a backpack that I like. With backpacks I find they are always uncomfortable and they never distribute the weight right for anything more than a 1 or 2 mile hike. They can either have easy access, holds lots of gear, comfortable, and lightweight...but never more than two out of those choices work good and the rest are compromised or awkward.
12-12-2019, 12:38 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
For me there's never really been a worst bag... just a different bag.
That's pretty much where I am, too. I have certain bags I like better than others, but I don't I have one that I'd label as "worst" although I do have a few hanging around that I've never really used much. But then I didn't really buy them specifically. I got them as part of a bundle when I'd buy camera gear at garage sales or estate sales. Probably the best bag I've bought would have to be my old Fotima bag that was my primary bag for several decades. I liked the Fotima because it was cheap ($35 brand new) and compact, but I could carry enough gear to shoot almost anything I might run into. I was shooting primes in those days and could fit a 16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 100mm macro, 200mm, 1.4X extender, 2X extender, extension tube set, an LX, and an MX in the main compartment...while the side pocket held graduated ND and polarizing filters, close-up lens, flash, reversing ring, and a cleaning kit, along with several rolls of film. These days, I tend to work differently so I usually carry my second best bag purchase, a Domke F3X, with a set of gear tailored to whatever it is that I expect to be shooting.

Last edited by TaoMaas; 12-12-2019 at 02:30 PM.