Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #1

Tripod for astroguide

Hi. I trying make photo with O-GPS. My tripod Marumi no best for this. Max load - only 1.5 kg. I tnink about purchase tripod with better load charteristic. What you say, for example, about Neewer 62?

11-27-2019, 04:40 AM   #2

What camera and lens do you plan to use?
11-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wouldn't worry about the tripod unless you know its affecting your photos. I've seen people take photos with very light tripods and even gorilla pods. With astrophotography, you should use delayed trigger or intervalometer and not touch your camera anyway. I think astrotracer can also use delayed trigger.
11-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by k5astro Quote
I think astrotracer can also use delayed trigger.
Yes it can. I always use the 2 second mirror up delay even with a release cable.

As far as a tripod goes it really depends on the lens you are sticking on the camera. A longer lens needs a more ridgid tripod to hold things steady. My solution was to build one. If going that route 2x4s are the cheapest boards and the bulk of costs will be in the hardware to tie everything together Mine cost about $50 and realistically has a safe capacity of over 500lbs, and is wider than it is tall. I've shot with up to a 2000mm lens off of it and regularly use a 400/2.8 on it even in windy conditions without issue. The head I'm using is an old Bogen 3047 that I picked up for $30 as new old stock.

11-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
I use K-70. I make photo with camera release delay. On photo stars seems like line. Exposure - 90s. I think that when the shutter is released, vibration occurs, which gives such an effect

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 06:07 AM ----------

Lens - Pentax Da 16-45 4.0
11-27-2019, 06:57 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
A more sturdy tripod will (maybe) decrese the impact of the mirror operation, but wont eliminate it. Using mirror up-shutter delay for some seconds will eliminate it (but shutter operation in itself may intriduce vibrations). Best is if your camera has a setting for electronic shutter without moving mechanical parts.

How sensitive your set-up is, is highly dependent of focal length.

If the stars are stright lines, this is probably not caused by shutter/mirror vibrations, but by poor star tracking accuracy (most possibly by bad polar alignment).

The O-GPS may have a lot of tricks going on to get it proper calibrated, possible to cause this. Donīt know, don't have it. Would suggest first thing to solve your problem is to carefully check out YouTube for proper calibration method for the O-GPS. There are lots of threads about problems related to this.
11-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frey71 Quote
I use K-70. I make photo with camera release delay. On photo stars seems like line. Exposure - 90s. I think that when the shutter is released, vibration occurs, which gives such an effect
More than likely you don't have a good calibration with astro tracer or are really pushing what astro tracer can do at the focal length and location in the sky. Shake on the tripod looks more like squiggles with stars. If this is only your first attempt with astro tracer or one of the first few calibration is what I would look at first. Other than than if you are near power lines, high current drawing appliances, electric motors, large amounts of iron or steel, etc will all affect astro tracer. I once setup on top of some buried power lines and didn't know it until morning, could not get astrotracer to work. It would either not calibrate, or if it would would be so far off I got exaggerated star trails. When calibrating, go well over the 180 degrees in each direction, smoothness of movement matters, as does keeping the rotation limited to only one axis. It takes a lot of practice to get good results and even then they can be limited. I can pretty consistently get a good calibration that will accurately track object for 20 seconds with a 400mm lens not too far from the ecliptic.

11-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I agree with the above; first check the calibration of the astro tracer. Then also check whether the tripod head doesn't sag for example because some screw hasn't been tightened.
11-27-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 11-27-19 at 06:07 AM ----------

Lens - Pentax Da 16-45 4.0
Check that you have turned off shake reduction.
Check that you have also turned on a self-timer (can be 2 seconds or 12 seconds).

Both will help remove any artefacts from long-exposure, tripod shots.
11-27-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Tripod for astroguide
I would have thought a similar criteria that applies to all tripods... the bigger and heavy the better.

Says he... as ducks all the inbounds about carbon fibre etc etc.
11-27-2019, 12:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Says he... as ducks all the inbounds about carbon fibre etc etc.
Sounds like a good way to get a carbon fiber tripod to me.
11-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
What you say about Velbon Sherpa 200
11-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #13

90s unguided without star trails would be surprising. With my tracking mount I can do 90s but off the tripod 15s to 20s would be the max.

Mike
11-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rml63 Quote
90s unguided without star trails would be surprising. With my tracking mount I can do 90s but off the tripod 15s to 20s would be the max.

Mike
The original poster mentioned using the astrotracer feature enabled by the use of the O-GPS1. Depending on the focal length being used and where it is pointed 90s might be entirely doable, or it might be someone being overly optmistic. Ricoh has some info on the best case performance one can expect and those really are optimistic but do give a good upper bound on expectations. I find that I can fairly reliably get 20s of trail free tracking (pixel peeping) with things near the ecliptic with my 400mm lens.
12-02-2019, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
The original poster mentioned using the astrotracer feature enabled by the use of the O-GPS1. Depending on the focal length being used and where it is pointed 90s might be entirely doable, or it might be someone being overly optmistic. Ricoh has some info on the best case performance one can expect and those really are optimistic but do give a good upper bound on expectations. I find that I can fairly reliably get 20s of trail free tracking (pixel peeping) with things near the ecliptic with my 400mm lens.
Its my first experience after Photoshop
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo