Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Day Hike/Travel Tripod for DSLR

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I usually use my old, mid-size Gitzo tripod, was looking for something to pack on trips or on a day pack, smaller thank my Gitzo but still somewhat stable for a DSLR.

I searched but didn't find a thread on the topic, although I'm sure it has been covered many times.

Thanks much.

11-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I got a Manfrotto element traveller for a recent trip, and performed wonderfully with my Kp, 20-40 or 100 macro. Well buit and quite cheap, specially used.
11-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an aluminum Manfrotto Befree 2N1 with lever locks. I've used it a number of times and have been pleased. I spent a day at the Sebring 12 Hours this spring, and enjoyed the Befree's ability to morph into a monopod.

BTW, my traveling light kit that I pair the Befree with consists of a KP + 10-17, a 20-40, and some smaller primes. I've also shot my 60-250 from the Befree and had no issues with the quality of the shots. The shots with the 60-250 were all close focus - about as close to macro as the lens would go.

I later added an Oben TS-20 tripod strap and a swivel snap so I can carry the Befree over my shoulder and have been pleased with how easy it is to tote that way. It would be nice if Manfrotto offered a strap for the tripod, but I couldn't find one...

For a travel tripod, it's pretty good. I wouldn't expect it to hold everything steady in wind gusts of up to 40 MPH, but given reasonable circumstances the tripod and head do their job more than adequately.

Last edited by wm_brant; 11-27-2019 at 08:51 PM.
11-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you. Both tripods look great, I'm comparing them in B&H. Lots of choices.

Your travel kits are both similar to mine.

11-28-2019, 02:26 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't say what camera / lenses you intend to use but I really like my
Sirui t-025x travel tripod (Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews)

Its very light weight, small and reasonably priced for a carbon fibre tripod. While it would probably be best for APS-C cameras with moderate sized lenses, I use with my K-1 with limited lenses and DFA 28-105. For extra stability I hang my camera pack off it and then its much more stable. Being so small and light I always have it with me when I'm walking.
11-28-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Another point for the Sirui. It's the lightest and most compact of the full-fledged tripods available. No other brand offers such a small size and weight package. No Manrotto, Gitzo, Mefoto, none. I've been using it for 5 years now and it has not let me down.

Peak Design are due to release to market their own travel tripod soon, but for the moment it's not yet available. Theirs will be a bit longer and heavier, but not much, and it will be thinner when collapsed (plus it packs a few interesting perks). It's supposed to be significantly steadier than almost any other travel tripod.
11-28-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I really like this tripod- it has been great for me.

K&F Concept Professional Tripod Monopod Ball Head 67" TM2534T for DSLR Camera | eBay

11-28-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all, very helpful.

That SIrui doesn't appear to be available at B&H, but this one is and also has good reviews: Sirui T-25SK T-0S
11-28-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Although I have smaller tripods....I like the Bogen 3001 for general travel.
Its just small enough for a suitcase and yet is easily strapped on a small pack for hiking and day trips !
Best part is I find nice used ones at yardsales for less than $15 around here.
I know its not the latest and greatest , but for the size and price its suitable.
11-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The Platypod has become my new favorite hiking tripod. I use the Platypod Max and an Acratech GV2 ball head with my K-1 with my D-FA 15-30, D-FA 24-70 and D-FA 150-450 and have had no stability issues.
11-28-2019, 03:59 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I recently ordered the 3Legged Thing Corey (aluminium), but it hasn't arrived yet. I tried it out in a shop previously. It is 50% heavier than the Sirui (1.5 kg compared to 1 kg) and a few cm longer when folded (35 cm cf 31 cm), but has a much greater rated load capacity (14 kg cf 6 kg). For use with K1 and long lenses, it seemed the better choice. I am looking forward to giving it a good workout.

Comparison.
11-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hello Paul, I have the 3Legged thing tripod and I love it. Mine is the Billy Model, it weights 3.0 pounds compared to the Corey Model at 3.5 pounds. But I can only recommend the Corey ( My son has the Corey Model) or any of the 3 Leggaed thing tripods as great Tripods. I will be in Costa Rica in February and I will be using my 3 Legged thing tripod as my birding photography tool...At 59 inches and a load of 30 pounds, It is not comparable to the Sirui... One of my photo attached. God luck.

Last edited by ramiot; 10-02-2020 at 10:28 AM.
11-29-2019, 01:42 AM   #13
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
That SIrui doesn't appear to be available at B&H, but this one is and also has good reviews: Sirui T-25SK T-0S
That's the one I have. It's the successor to the T-025x. Mine came with the B-00K ball head. I got it on the recommendation of @bdery and other members. It's a gem. Engineering masterpiece.

Last edited by Des; 11-29-2019 at 03:14 AM.
11-29-2019, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Sirui T-025x carbon and it's a fantastic piece of kit. It handles the front heavy combination of K-1 and DFA15-30 just fine.

But I also have the Peak Design tripod on pre-order, and fully expect it to supplant the Sirui in the near future, unless weight is at an absolute premium.
11-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But I also have the Peak Design tripod on pre-order, and fully expect it to supplant the Sirui in the near future, unless weight is at an absolute premium.
Looking forward to your comparison. I should have access to one in the relatively near future also.