Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
The 3-D head on the Bogen was useful, but it always moved a bit when I tightened the handles.
That's sometimes really annoying, but strangely ignored in many reviews. I'd really like Gitzo's biggest recent ballhead (GH3382QD) which doesn't suffer that way at all, but it costs lots more than I'm prepared to spend right now.

12-08-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

I really want a geared head for landscape and astrophotography but even the cheapest one is way more than I am willing to spend on a tripod head
12-08-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
Advice on replacing a Bogen (Manfrotto) 3001 tripod
Certainly have a wee look at the Really Right Stuff product range... they seem to have something for everyone.
12-10-2019, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Certainly have a wee look at the Really Right Stuff product range... they seem to have something for everyone.
Don't you mean the Really Deep Pockets range? (sharp intake of breath, released only after a lonnnnnggg pause)

12-10-2019, 01:15 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Don't you mean the Really Deep Pockets range? (sharp intake of breath, released only after a lonnnnnggg pause)
Think of it as an investment, kinda buy it right once IMHO.
12-10-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I too have read Thom Hogan's seminal tripod article, and I get it. It's just awfu' dear, ye ken, awfu' dear for a mere hobbyist. A TVC-24L, which would do me really well, would be a thousand US dollars plus carriage to the UK. Sorry, no. (even Gitzos go on sale price occasionally)
12-12-2019, 12:40 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Last year I got a Fotopro X-GO Max with FPH-62Q Ball Head when it was a deal of the day at B&H. I am pretty happy with it. Not a full replacement for my heavier duty Vanguard tripods, but it folds up nice. It is easy to take along, and handy to have around. One leg becomes a monopod too.