Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #1

Advice on replacing a Bogen (Manfrotto) 3001 tripod

The Bogen 3001 has been a dependable tripod for many years, and it easily supported my Mamiya RZ67 film camera. It has the right height for my work that is mainly landscape, but now that I am older and using a K-1, I am ready for a newer and lighter tripod also.

Manfrotto currently has no tripods as far as I can tell that match the maximum height with the post collapsed with mine. They are either much shorter, or about 6 inches higher. I prefer 3 sections. Six inches might not be that much, but then the added weight cancels out my need to upgrade.

The folded length of the 3001 is only 21 inches. Set up without extending the center column is about 46.5 inches.

The Induro CLT103 folds to 22.6 inches and the max height with the column retracted is 49 inches. It is 2.82 lb verses the 3001 which is 3.6 lb without a head.

Will it be a good replacement for the 3001 as far as stability goes? Any other suggestions or advice? Is carbon fiber that much better than aluminum?

Dan

12-03-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is a tough question now! Back in the day, the 3001 was pretty much the only thing at its price point. Not today, baby! You have so many choices, I hardly know what to say. But I'm not as impressed with Manfrotto anymore. I think Sirui, Feisol, and Leofoto are very good companies you should look at. Induro seems OK as well.
12-03-2019, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I replaced my Bogen 3021's with a Feisol Tournament 3342. It's lightweight and a joy to carry after dealing with the Bogen. It handles the weight of the Pentax K-1 and dfa 70-210 f2.8, but as I discovered on a recent trip only in decent weather conditions. Heavy winds were a no go. If you live near a big city with a decent camera store (like B&H in New York) where you can check out an assortment of tripods that would be the way to go. A lot of folks just say go with the Really Right Stuff tripods but be prepared for sticker shock.
12-03-2019, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I grabbed a Nest carbon fiber tripod and still have the 3021 Bogen but use the Nest more often.

12-03-2019, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I really recommend large diameter leg tripods from Benro or Induro for heavy cameras. I got a Benro Mach 3 and its been a rock solid tripod. The only thing is that I wish fully extended it was at eye level. its just a bit higher than my eye level if fully extended out and that means you have to match a partial extension of each leg.
12-04-2019, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn’t put a 67 on a 3001, no sir, but wouldn’t hesitate with that Induro. It’s rated to 14kg, will be much less liable to wind vibration than the Bogen due to its carbon fibre construction and is lighter as well. I know several photographers who use and are happy with them, so what’s not to like?

Last edited by StiffLegged; 12-04-2019 at 06:39 AM.
12-04-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I really recommend large diameter leg tripods from Benro or Induro for heavy cameras. I got a Benro Mach 3 and its been a rock solid tripod. The only thing is that I wish fully extended it was at eye level. its just a bit higher than my eye level if fully extended out and that means you have to match a partial extension of each leg.
Would you consider the Pentax k-1 to be a heavy camera? I do not have the Medium Format film cameras anymore.

---------- Post added 12-04-2019 at 10:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I wouldn’t put a 67 on a 3001, no sir, but wouldn’t hesitate with that Induro. It’s rated to 14kg, will be much less liable to wind vibration than the Bogen due to its carbon fibre construction and is lighter as well. I know several photographers who use and are happy with them, so what’s not to like?
Now I only use the Pentax K-1. It is heavier than some cameras, but definitely lighter than the RZ67. I have been looking at carbon fiber because of strength and weight advantage, but did not know anything about resistance to wind vibration.

The one thing that I don't like about the Induro is the price! I do hope if I get CF I will find that the price difference is worth it!

Dan

12-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Benro TMA37ALB3 Series 3 Mach3 Aluminum Tripod with B3 TMA37ALB3

This is what I got, I got it on sale for slightly under $200, but now the legs alone are 150 and then you have to price a ball head. I found with the K-1's 36 mp sensor, it was very sensitive to long duration vibrations and any droop in the head would cause blurriness.
12-04-2019, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Nest has a hook to hang a weight (bag works) to add stability. I suggest a variable length cord to tie it to the baag so the bag can be partially on the ground and not ossillating back and forth in windy conditions.
12-04-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I can't speak for that particular Induro tripod, but I do have the Induro Series 4 Baby Grand Tripod, and I can say the build quality of the Induro is excellent (IMHO) and well, It's as solid as a rock. And it holds 220lb's

If the spec's of the CLT103 meet your requirements for height and weight, it looks pretty good. If you are looking for "More" stable in a tripod, getting one without a centre column will increase the stability, as the the centre column will always be another wiggle point, but that will generally put you up into the next pricing bracket.

Good luck with your choice
12-05-2019, 08:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. I found a good deal locally on the Benro TAD28CB2. It is 4 sections instead of the 3 I preferred, but the store had a sale plus with the trade in value of some of my gear, I decided it was a worthy upgrade.

Dan
12-06-2019, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote
Thanks for the comments. I found a good deal locally on the Benro TAD28CB2. It is 4 sections instead of the 3 I preferred, but the store had a sale plus with the trade in value of some of my gear, I decided it was a worthy upgrade.

Dan
Enjoy the newfound stability!
12-06-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSLRnovice Quote

Dan
Congrats on your purchase that is a great tripod, and good luck shooting!
12-06-2019, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let us know how it compares in the field!
12-07-2019, 08:25 AM   #15

Original Poster
Benro TAD28CB2 vs Bogen 3001 w 3d head

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Let us know how it compares in the field!
I have not taken it out yet, but i can tell you that it is a pleasure to setup. The 3-D head on the Bogen was useful, but it always moved a bit when I tightened the handles. I think this ball head alone will be worth it. Also the leg locks are easier to tighten on the Benro.

The Bogen lasted for almost 30 years. Once the metal leg lock broke in half, but the company sent a replacement without question. The dealer here in Columbus, "World of Photography" gave me half the price that I paid for it new, so they know its value I am sure. The real plus was their 30% off in November and December!

The new tripod is only 1 pound less in weight but a noticeable difference for me.

Dan