Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2019, 10:15 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Peak Design Capture Clip

Has anyone had experience with the Peak Design Capture Clip. I see a lot of backpackers skip a camera bag and just mount a small mirrorless camera to a capture clip attached to their backpacking bag. I am not sure if this will work with a large camera like a K-1

12-03-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one, but have used it only with a belt; not on a backpack. I use long, heavy lenses, & I didn't like the weight of the lens pulling down from the camera; so quit using it. It does hold & lock in the camera quite well, so don't see why there would be a problem attached to the backpack.
12-03-2019, 11:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

K-1 + 15-30 : no problem !

Hi,

I have used the capture clip on long hikes with my K-1 (including 3 weeks in Nepal with a summit above 6,000m) with either the 24-70, the 15-30 or the F*300. No issues, except that the torque of the camera could loosen the underneath Arca Swiss plate a little bit, so I had to thighten it every few days. Of course with such an heavy equipment your backpack has to be heavy enough for good balance.

Dan
12-04-2019, 01:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I am using it with KP and bigger lenses. I had no bad issues with this clip.

The only drawback is that you may lose the front lens cap - some of them (attachable caps of DA 21 or DA 70) are falling down.

12-04-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only use it on my backpack front at my left shoulder, for when I expect to use the camera soon again. It works OK with the K-1 and DFA 28-105mm, but I for sure wouldn't use it as the only option. It's also very handy e.g. when storing lenses after a lens change, even when I use my Mindshift Rotation backpack and need to pack the lenses further down. Now, using the KP with the HD DA 18-50mm (or one of the limited primes) feels a lot better ...
12-04-2019, 06:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Has anyone had experience with the Peak Design Capture Clip. I see a lot of backpackers skip a camera bag and just mount a small mirrorless camera to a capture clip attached to their backpacking bag. I am not sure if this will work with a large camera like a K-1
I use one all the time. I have one on nearly each of my bags because I'm that lazy. The possibility to attach a Capture Clip has become one of my criteria when choosing a new bag, and prevents me from using the Mindshift Gear Photocross 13 as my sole Sling (when I need to use a Capture Clip, I bring the Peak Design Sling instead of the Photocross, despite the better comfort of the latter).

I'm confortable using the clip with a K-1 and a lens no larger than the 24-70. With a prime or the 28-105, it's not a problem.

The Capture Clip is, in my humble opinion, the best photo accessory invented in the last 10-15 years.

Here's what it looks like with a K-1 on a backpack strap

12-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here. I've used it quite a lot. For hikes as long as 12 miles through the Costa Rican jungle with the KP and 55-300PLM. It works great, though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do a hike that long with the K-1 and 70-200 hanging off my shoulder strap.

12-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've been using it with a KP and K-3ii, usually with the 16-85 attached. It's been great for hiking and even tame mountain biking (smooth trails, not technical downhills). However, It's not as stable if you want to use a battery grip, IMHO.
12-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I use the third (current) version when hiking with my k3ii, winter and and warm weather too. Works fine with the 16-85, 55-300 plm, or a smaller limited primes, I don't use a battery grip. I've also used it while cycling with a small backpack through a wildlife reservation, to have to read and skip reaching into my bag. If you have a medium heavy backpack (30liter full with winter gear, snowshoes on the outside, etc), it may dig in your shoulder a bit and require experimenting to find the best placement, but that's subjective and totally worth the convenience. Having an arca-compatible plate means I don't need to open the backpack to get the tripod setup.

The other week I lightly scraped the camera on a boulder that I had to pass by closely, just be careful with branches and other obstacles because it adds some bulk to where you're not used to if you have it on the shoulder strap. In winter it's also advisable to be careful not to fog the entire camera with your breath when it's on the shoulder it's easy to clean snow out of it if any gets in while the bag is on the ground. After a little practice I can now lock the camera with one hand not looking, and the click is positive enough to leave no doubt it's locked, but I still push it up a bit to double check.

Last edited by aaacb; 12-04-2019 at 09:52 AM.
12-04-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So, I'll be a me tooer here. I've used it on hikes attached to my pack strap. I've used both the MX-1 and K-3 (with a general purpose lens like the DA*16). It's not as nice with a large DSLR but I also have the belt attachment which works well for a larger camera. I've used that setup with one camera in my belt (like my IR camera), and my main camera on a shoulder strap. I don't use them all the time but IMHO, they are useful tools and worth the cost.
12-04-2019, 12:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’m happy and confident using one within some of the caveats others had listed. I’ve used one attached to my belt with a K70 and a 55-300 PLM. Note: I always wear a gun leather grade Galco belt. I have a battery grip on my K3II so that doesn’t ride well, I have another one on my Peak Design 10L sling or for my back pack but I don’t use it much because I’ve never worn my back pack since I bought it.

Like blackbrewcloud the K3II with grip is on a shoulder strap usually with the 16-85 or the DA*300
12-05-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to do a hike that long with the K-1 and 70-200 hanging off my shoulder strap.
A couple additional comments.

When using the Clip with larger lenses, Peak Design sells a "Pro Pad" which helps greatly in distributing the weight. And when an even larger lens is used, Think Tank sells a pad (the "camera Clip Adapter, also works with Spyder clips)as part of their modular belt system. I've used it confidently with the K-1 and 60-250: