Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

Need camera bag suggestion

I would like to get a bag that could hold a mounted 50-135, a flash and an extra 16-50. Plus the occasional tripod and spare gear.

I can only get the first two in my Lowepro Fastback 100 and BARELY at that. It really is too small and offers little protection with the body and lens are pressed on outer edges.

Maybe the Flipside 400 AW? Does the inside zipper work well?

10-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
I would like to get a bag that could hold a mounted 50-135, a flash and an extra 16-50. Plus the occasional tripod and spare gear.

I can only get the first two in my Lowepro Fastback 100 and BARELY at that. It really is too small and offers little protection with the body and lens are pressed on outer edges.

Maybe the Flipside 400 AW? Does the inside zipper work well?
I have a Tamrac Expedition 3 that is my daily bag. Holds what you're asking with one hole left for an upright lens, but not 200mm. It has tripod straps, but I've never used them. The bag is tight, but well padded. The flash (AF540) will only fit one way, with the front out, and the foot towards the top. It's a well built bag, but there's no room for lens hoods. (edit. The flash is laying on the far side with a divider and small extension tubes on top)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by Mark2100; 10-20-2008 at 11:04 PM.
10-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, except for the tripod, I'd say the Pentax SLR sling bag would be a good candidate. I can get my K20D w/grip and a lens in the middle compartment, and then two other lenses in the other two compartments. Depending on the lenses, you can also squeeze the flash and extra batteries/memory in as well.

I can get the K20 w/grip with up to the DA*200 mounted in the bag. The DA*300 won't fit when mounted, but will fit in the bag. If you put the DA*16-50 in one of the other compartments, you can probably get the flash in as well. I got the K20D w/out grip and the 18-250 mounted, along with the 360 flash in the main compartment.
10-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

How about a Tenba Shootout Mini backpack? It's well-built and has an awesome tripod holding system. On the page below, they have a YouTube video that explains the features of the bag, including how the tripod carrying system works.
Tenba - Shootout: Mini Backpack

HTH,
Heather

10-22-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My vote goes to the Tamrac Adventure 75

I have one; and I love it. I can carry a tripod, 5 lenses, 2 bodies and a flash.

10-22-2008, 06:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark2100 Quote
I have a Tamrac Expedition 3 .................. but there's no room for lens hoods.
Thanks all - these are very good suggestions. Does it make sense to go with the the Tamrac Expedition 74 or 75 so I can fit the hoods as well?

It seems the only difference between the 74 and 75 is the height, and since I don't think I'll ever get a 300mm, I like the proportions of the 74.

Also, I'm tempted by the Lowepro Fastback 250 which allows me to keep it on my left shoulder while removing the camera. Plus it can hold a laptop, although I haven't thought out a situation where I need to put a laptop in there.

That Tenba is amazing as well, but probably an overkill for where I am in life.
10-22-2008, 09:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The eternal Mom question "What do you want for Christmas?" no matter how old you get has me looking at a new camera bag also and I'm going with Kata, which model I'm not sure.

In your case I'd probably go with something like this:

Kata GDC Series R-102 Compact Photo RucKsack with TST Protection

or

Kata D-3N1-20

Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI9ww1cSeSw

I'm debating the Kata DR-465 w/red accents and free monopod, T-214 or D-3N1-10.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you buy!

Last edited by F-Stop; 10-22-2008 at 09:58 PM.
10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
That Tenba is amazing as well, but probably an overkill for where I am in life.
The non-daypack Tenba Large Shootout is what I have and it holds more gear than I ever want to hoist farther than from the house to the car.

Amazon.com: Tenba 632-321 Shootout Large Backpack (Olive/Black): Camera & Photo
(I paid $50 less than Amazon's price at a local shop)
10-23-2008, 08:17 PM   #9

Original Poster

Now you did it... I'm reconsidering and wondering if this one makes sense. It seems like a very nice design.
10-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To further convince you:
Video bags camera bags Kata - Manufacturer of camera bags

Not to mention it has nice red accents to compliment the Pentax branding.