Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Hood + Cap

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I need to get a cap and hood for a prime wide lens. Here where live its hard to get Pentax accessories. The lens in question is an old one, so 3rd party or second hand are also valid options. That means I will be buying from the internet - so i cannot check items beforehand. My specific needs would be a hood for 28mm / 30mm (FF DSLR) and the ability to keep it all the time in the lens (52mm diameter), so i would like to be able to put a cap inside de hood (would the cap also be 52mm? or less, say, 49mm?). This means Takumar hoods/caps are not an option. So, what else would you recommend? What kind of hoods out there have inside threads so to insert a cap or filter inside it? Also: Rubber or metal? Square or round? I prefer Pentax, but if not, what else?
Thanks for the opinions.

12-05-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For 28-30mm on full frame I would just get a regular 52mm petal hood that they sell on Amazon, Ebay, etc for 3-7 dollars. In fact, that is what I have done for my 24mm lenses (35mm on APS-C). For my DA 16-45mm I also got a 67mm petal hood and it works very well.

You can also get off-brand front and rear caps for cheap.
12-05-2019, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you post what specific lens it is there may be information on what the hood size should be,
12-05-2019, 07:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fernando Sousa Quote
the cap also be 52mm? or less, say, 49mm?
You need both the cap and the hood to be the same size, the size indicates the filter thread diameter so 52mm in your case?

12-06-2019, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another idea is what I have bought from a Chinese source on Ebay. I acquired a couple of metal hoods for about $5 each that come with caps fitting over their outside rims. A good solution if you don't need to change lens filters often. These are made in different configurations for various focal lengths and a variety of screw in filter mount sizes. Easy to find when searching the site for lens hoods.
12-06-2019, 06:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
For 28-30mm on full frame I would just get a regular 52mm petal hood that they sell on Amazon, Ebay, etc for 3-7 dollars. In fact, that is what I have done for my 24mm lenses (35mm on APS-C). For my DA 16-45mm I also got a 67mm petal hood and it works very well.

You can also get off-brand front and rear caps for cheap.
Better have off-brand front and rear caps for cheap and invest the money in glass. That's a good point. Thanks

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 06:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
If you post what specific lens it is there may be information on what the hood size should be,
The lenses are the Pentax pk mount 30mm 2.8 and the Takumar 28mm 3.5. This one could use the same hood with a step-ring 49mm to 52mm. For the Takumar i do have its original hood, it just doesn't allow to insert a cap (i need to take the hood first then put cap on - to many steps for me )

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 06:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
You need both the cap and the hood to be the same size, the size indicates the filter thread diameter so 52mm in your case?
Yes, the lens filter size is 52mm. So, both the hood and cap will be 52mm, then. And the cap will fit the lens regardless it has the hood or not, right?

Last edited by Fernando Sousa; 12-06-2019 at 06:21 AM.
12-06-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Normally the cap doesn't extend past the threads diameter, and so it should fit even with hoods that don't flare out at all. But if either doesn't have the right diameter, it won't attach to the filter threads,so yes, they have to have the same diameter. The hood size is just to specify the thread diameter it attaches to, same for the cap. None of this guarantees that you'll be able to easily remove the cap with the hood on though, that depends on how each is designed, intended center pinch caps make it slightly easier than flush ones.

12-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Another idea is what I have bought from a Chinese source on Ebay. I acquired a couple of metal hoods for about $5 each that come with caps fitting over their outside rims. A good solution if you don't need to change lens filters often. These are made in different configurations for various focal lengths and a variety of screw in filter mount sizes. Easy to find when searching the site for lens hoods.
I will have a look at those, as that's also a solution. Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 06:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Normally the cap doesn't extend past the threads diameter, and so it should fit even with hoods that don't flare out at all. But if either doesn't have the right diameter, it won't attach to the filter threads,so yes, they have to have the same diameter. The hood size is just to specify the thread diameter it attaches to, same for the cap. None of this guarantees that you'll be able to easily remove the cap with the hood on though, that depends on how each is designed, intended center pinch caps make it slightly easier than flush ones.
Ok, great, thanks for the clarification, it makes the search easier: cap and hood and filters all matching the lens thread And searching for center pinch caps, yes (y)

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 06:34 AM ----------

Just to end this: Should a hood for a 28mm be also good enough for 30mm (this FL doesn't seem to be popular and I do not know if 2mm makes difference in terms of light entering the lens)?

Last edited by Fernando Sousa; 12-06-2019 at 06:30 AM.
12-06-2019, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Inactive Account

I am looking for a similar hood for my K28 f3.2 right now too. I think I will go with something like this.
I got a 49mm version for my DA21. Very happy with it.
12-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I am looking for a similar hood for my K28 f3.2 right now too. I think I will go with something like this.
I got a 49mm version for my DA21. Very happy with it.
This option looks good, thanks. Do you think these still allow for the cap to go into? I would say so, but not sure if they have clearance enough.
12-06-2019, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

This option looks good, thanks. Do you think these still allow for the cap to go into? I would say so, but not sure if they have clearance enough.

i think so, My 49 mm, same design and brand can attach 49 mm cap inside the hood. When remove cap, I can attach a circular filter too. The 52 mm version should function the same.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 09:36 PM ----------

Update!

I just order from this guy. It will take 4-8 weeks... I try express shipping with seller from China before, it doesn't make much difference... I can't do anything but wait for now.
12-07-2019, 07:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
i think so, My 49 mm, same design and brand can attach 49 mm cap inside the hood. When remove cap, I can attach a circular filter too. The 52 mm version should function the same.

---------- Post added 12-06-19 at 09:36 PM ----------

Update!

I just order from this guy. It will take 4-8 weeks... I try express shipping with seller from China before, it doesn't make much difference... I can't do anything but wait for now.
OK, great, thanks for that update. 4 to 8 weeks? That's a long wait. But it is probably worth, considering the low price, etc.. Maybe I will contact those vendors myself. But I am in Europe, so I wonder if buying from China is a good ideia (because of customs costs, etc.). I will have to check that.
12-07-2019, 08:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I am in Europe, so I wonder if buying from China is a good ideia (because of customs costs, etc.). I will have to check that.
FYI it frees shipping worldwide.

And I just went out to test the K28 f3.5 last night. Really impress as I shoot mostly at night in city. It hardly flare. Pentax could easily use the same lens design add auto focus, add WR to it, and call it DFA28 limited, I will buy it in a heartbeat.
12-09-2019, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/COLOR]Just to end this: Should a hood for a 28mm be also good enough for 30mm (this FL doesn't seem to be popular and I do not know if 2mm makes difference in terms of light entering the lens)?
Back in the SMC K lenses, the designated hood for 28/3.5 was the same as 30/2.8. I had both at one time and the hood had both lenses marked on it along with 35/3.5.
12-10-2019, 06:34 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Back in the SMC K lenses, the designated hood for 28/3.5 was the same as 30/2.8. I had both at one time and the hood had both lenses marked on it along with 35/3.5.
Ok, thank you From1980, for that clarification. It helps my search (y).