Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
GR III

I always put a pony first, because it makes the rest of the items on my wish list seem more reasonable.
GR III is out of budget but it's certainly a camera that I'd like to own! I loved testing it this summer.

12-11-2019, 12:48 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's a small exclusive and expensive list... but it needs to be stuff I can smuggle past the eyes of the ever watchful Lady Kerrowdown... as certain objects have been intercepted already.
What you need to do is follow the 48 hour rule:
48 hour rule - If you by something and have it not hidden for 48 hours without her noticing, then she can't say anything about it. If she does, just say -ďoh that old thing? We have had that forever."
12-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I am thinking about a new strap for KP as I tend to dislike the standard one.

---------- Post added 12-11-2019 at 09:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
GR III is out of budget but it's certainly a camera that I'd like to own! I loved testing it this summer.
Did you notice the refurbished ones on US website ? 600 USD is not that bad...
GR III - REFURBISHED - Ricoh
12-11-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
A pony
645Z
K1 ii
GR III

I always put a pony first, because it makes the rest of the items on my wish list seem more reasonable.
Brilliant strategy!

12-11-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well nothing on the photography wish list this year. MY wife and I decided not go get anything for each other this year. So I got her something small and green with little sparkly things around it that will hang around her neck. That should take care of Christmas, her birthday and Valentine's Day. On our 40th wedding anniversary three years ago I got her something small and red in a similar setup. My go to girl at the jewelers came through as usual.
12-11-2019, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by david94903 Quote
I'm pretty lens'd up so I decided shift my gift getting focus (no pun intended) to a new camera experience. GR III is my early Christmas present this year.
That was exactly my experience for my birthday. I'm lensed up too, but got a new old stock, Ricoh GR ll for my BD.
12-12-2019, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
What you need to do is follow the 48 hour rule:
48 hour rule - If you by something and have it not hidden for 48 hours without her noticing, then she can't say anything about it. If she does, just say -ďoh that old thing? We have had that forever."
48 hours... Iíve had stuff intercepted before itís even arrived.
12-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am thinking about a new strap for KP as I tend to dislike the standard one.
Good idea. I strongly suggest the Peak Design Slide.

However, that strap made me realize that I don't like straps all that much. However, I do love a hand strap, which I custom-made using Peak Design anchor clips. That way when I need a neck strap (with heavy lenses, say) I use it, and when I don't need it it takes a few seconds to replace it with the hand strap.

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Did you notice the refurbished ones on US website ? 600 USD is not that bad...
GR III - REFURBISHED - Ricoh
I saw. Still steep for the budget we give each other for Christmas.

12-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
48 hours... I’ve had stuff intercepted before it’s even arrived.
That is impressive.
12-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welp, it looks like my one photography-related gift will be a new Oben Carbon Fiber tripod, replacing my old Velbon Videomate from the 1980's
12-12-2019, 08:50 AM   #26
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
That is impressive.
Thatís not the terminology I would have used.
12-13-2019, 06:20 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Welp, it looks like my one photography-related gift will be a new Oben Carbon Fiber tripod, replacing my old Velbon Videomate from the 1980's
One could say that old Velbon served you well.

I have an Oben tripod, without being perfect it's a lot of quality for the price. I'm sure you'll like it.
12-13-2019, 07:41 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One could say that old Velbon served you well.

I have an Oben tripod, without being perfect it's a lot of quality for the price. I'm sure you'll like it.
Best of all about the Velbon is that it was free! It replaced a lightweight Manfrotto, which had gallantly sacrificed itself to save me from a 30 ft fall down a rock- and ice- laden waterffall.

I'm not a frequent tripod user, but the Oben will be my first tripod that is rated to accommodate the weight of my largest telephoto lenses - K 500/4.5 & K 135-600.
12-13-2019, 11:23 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Best of all about the Velbon is that it was free! It replaced a lightweight Manfrotto, which had gallantly sacrificed itself to save me from a 30 ft fall down a rock- and ice- laden waterffall.
There's a story there that I'd like to hear...

I'm not a frequent tripod user, but the Oben will be my first tripod that is rated to accommodate the weight of my largest telephoto lenses - K 500/4.5 & K 135-600.
Ratings are a lot like flipping a coin, but within a given brand they do give some idea.
12-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's a story there that I'd like to hear...
It's a short tale. Several years ago on a cold winter's day - the temperature was below freezing - I was scrambling around the top of a very rocky, frozen-over waterfall, looking out further into the valley in an attempt to come up with a composition. Because I was not exercising sufficient caution, I slipped and pitched sideways down the slope. I managed one step before my balance was completely gone, but that was enough time to jam my Manfrotto between 2 boulders and swing myself around to simply land on my derriere. Had I plunged all the way down, there was a good chance I would have been significantly injured or unconscious, and questionable if I would have been found before dying of exposure. It's not a well-trafficked area during the winter and at the time a "dead spot" for cell phones. The tripod sustained a bent leg and broken clamp.

After that I decided to go home.