Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2019, 12:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm getting a Soratama filter/lens to use on the K-1, K-01, and Q.
Thanks,
barondla

12-15-2019, 02:53 AM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm on the "nice list", you know... that's the list that matters at this time of year.

Dear Santa, please could you find room in your sack for a new Phase One XT body with 150-megapixel back and a lens.

Have a look at some of the work by Pedro Dimitrow, a professional photographer based in São Paulo, Brazil, you'll see what the Phase One is capable of in the right hands.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 12-15-2019 at 03:09 AM.
12-16-2019, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
It's a short tale. Several years ago on a cold winter's day - the temperature was below freezing - I was scrambling around the top of a very rocky, frozen-over waterfall, looking out further into the valley in an attempt to come up with a composition. Because I was not exercising sufficient caution, I slipped and pitched sideways down the slope. I managed one step before my balance was completely gone, but that was enough time to jam my Manfrotto between 2 boulders and swing myself around to simply land on my derriere. Had I plunged all the way down, there was a good chance I would have been significantly injured or unconscious, and questionable if I would have been found before dying of exposure. It's not a well-trafficked area during the winter and at the time a "dead spot" for cell phones. The tripod sustained a bent leg and broken clamp.

After that I decided to go home.
Good idea to go home, I guess.

There are moments like these, gone in a blink, where a lot could change in a life. I almost slipped down a cliff for no particular reason once, so I maybe know how you must have felt after that.

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
I'm getting a Soratama filter/lens
Nice, I didn't know these existed!
12-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I might ask for a 10-stopper. Might come in useful for a bit of fun sometime.

12-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Best of all about the Velbon is that it was free! It replaced a lightweight Manfrotto, which had gallantly sacrificed itself to save me from a 30 ft fall down a rock- and ice- laden waterffall.
Glad you survived the fall. Did a similar thing as a teenager. We were on a photo trip in winter (no snow or ice) and I was at about the middle height of the falls, off to one side. I leaned over to take a closer look at some rock and water. A slip, then the great fall. Ended up about 20 ft away at the bottom of the falls. Luckily, I was dressed like the Michelin Man and was unhurt. I fell on the Olympus OM1. The 50mm 1.4 lens helicoids were flattened, the lens couldn't focus. The other photogs were concerned. Grabbed another lens from the backpack and kept shooting for the rest of the day. Wasn't even sore the next day. Ah, youth.
Thanks,
barondla
12-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #36
Veteran Member

My ideas are the stocking stuffer route.

New Pentax Battery
128 GB SD Card
L Bracket
Intravalometer
Wireless IR Remote
Wireless RF Remote
Leveling Head

Some smaller items that are still very useful.
12-18-2019, 11:23 PM   #37

Photos: Albums
Mostly I want filters. Alllll the filters! A few ND, more CP, and UV ones too would be fine.
A lens/sensor cleaning kit
A new lens if someone wanted to spoil me - 16-85, 20-40, 21, 18-135, 70-300... anything.

Now... to see if Santa thinks I've been good this year...