Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Christmas gift ideas?

It's that season again. I'm just curious (and looking for inspiration...). What photography-related gift ideas are on your list this year?

Either for you or for someone you care about.

I'm looking forward to reading your thoughts!

12-10-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Items on my list this season:

Macro Lens
Tripod or monopod
Head for above

Reasoning:

The only macro I have is the DA35 Ltd. The short focal length means I have to get really close, which can be awkward at times.
I have a cheapy box-store type of video camera. Trying to adjust composition is coarse at best. I really don't use it much, wonder if a monopod would be less intrusive.

Bonus list:
Swanky 100th anniversary garb
12-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep going back and fourth between a nice fast modern ultrawide, an equatorial mount, and now a new 135/2.
12-10-2019, 02:25 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always found that buying something for a hobbyist is fraught with danger unless you know exactly what they want. Nothing is a bigger bomb than giving a hobbyist (although they probably would smile and say thank you) something that is only sorta, kinda like what they wanted.

On the other hand, whatever you are asking for, make sure it is clearly circled (in red) in the B&H catalog or you have emailed the precise item link to the prospective giver (spouse). Of course, this has its own danger in that the giver (spouse) learns just how much you pay for this stuff.

May your stocking be filled with goodies and your Christmas be grand.

12-10-2019, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Christmas gift ideas?
It's a small exclusive and expensive list... but it needs to be stuff I can smuggle past the eyes of the ever watchful Lady Kerrowdown... as certain objects have been intercepted already.

And more Really Right Stuff kit don't fit this criteria...

12-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cactus V6ii remote triggers?
Lens Pens?
Flash reflectors?
Flash snoot?
Flash gels?
LED macro ring light?
Extension tubes?
Focus rail?
Gray cards?
12-10-2019, 02:47 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

well thanks to random luck

my Christmas wish list is mainly met already

however a good inexpensive method of transferring film ( negative ) to digital would be top of the list

something like this perhaps ?

Amazon.com: DIGITNOW 22MP All-in-1 Film & Slide Scanner, Converts 35mm 135 110 126 and Super 8 Films/Slides/Negatives to Digital JPG Photos, Built-in 128MB Memory, 2.4 LCD Screen: Electronics

[ any thoughts, please send me a pm so we don't take over the thread ]

12-10-2019, 02:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm getting a new tripod / monopod. We tend not to buy terribly expensive Christmas gifts, but my birthday is only a few days from Christmas so that tends to influence things.
12-10-2019, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't need more stuff, I need more opportunities...
12-10-2019, 07:23 PM   #10

The three legged thing Corey would be nice.

Mike
12-10-2019, 07:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Memory cards
L bracket
Wired remote
Better neck strap
Battery
12-11-2019, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm pretty lens'd up so I decided shift my gift getting focus (no pun intended) to a new camera experience. GR III is my early Christmas present this year.
12-11-2019, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
have always found that buying something for a hobbyist is fraught with danger unless you know exactly what they want. Nothing is a bigger bomb than giving a hobbyist (although they probably would smile and say thank you) something that is only sorta, kinda like what they wanted.

On the other hand, whatever you are asking for, make sure it is clearly circled (in red) in the B&H catalog or you have emailed the precise item link to the prospective giver (spouse). Of course, this has its own danger in that the giver (spouse) learns just how much you pay for this stuff.
I agree that it's risky. Providing an amazon link is what I generally do.

I was not thinking about lenses, specifically, I'm pretty well covered regarding those and we try not to go overboard regarding budgets.

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Lens Pens?
Flash reflectors?
Flash snoot?
Flash gels?
Focus rail?
Got these covered already.

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I'm getting a new tripod / monopod. We tend not to buy terribly expensive Christmas gifts, but my birthday is only a few days from Christmas so that tends to influence things.
Having christmas and your birthday together is probably not always fun, but it does increase the budget for gifts...

QuoteOriginally posted by dsingley100 Quote
Memory cards
Wired remote
Better neck strap
Battery
Got these covered also

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't need more stuff, I need more opportunities...
THAT I like. However, the missus does want to give me a gift or three.
12-11-2019, 08:44 AM - 7 Likes   #14
Forum Member

A pony
645Z
K1 ii
GR III

I always put a pony first, because it makes the rest of the items on my wish list seem more reasonable.
12-11-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by M_D_K Quote
A pony
645Z
K1 ii
GR III

I always put a pony first, because it makes the rest of the items on my wish list seem more reasonable.
That's a good strategy! When my daughter was still riding in competitions I had to buy a pony which was more than twice the price of the most expensive car I ever bought.

As for Christmas gifts: last week I had to work in Shanghai and I visited this Gallery and shop again in Tian Zi Fang area.

My wife loves Rui Yuan's photographs of children, so I bought a couple of prints for her and one of his books for me.