Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 05:21 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Everyone has their own way of doing things so I won't argue your rationale here but I am interested in how well the Sdcards that you have had stored so far for several years are holding their data. Have you gne back to the earlier ones and tried to access the data on them.? <snip>

AL
Thanks, Al - yes, every six to nine months I backup from the original cards to double-layer DVD discs, as well as backing up the hard drive copies similarly. I know that any storage media can deteriorate over time, but if I lose any images it is no great tragedy (most of them are not worth keeping anyway !). Over the years, I have lost so many possessions (cameras, music, books - you name it) in various ways that I tend to be fairly philosophical about it - if it happens, it happens.

12-16-2019, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I use mostly Transcend for smaller sd cards and sandisk for bigger ones. Even basic electronics often requires you use those on a regular basis to keep them in working condition
12-16-2019, 09:58 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many information has been written by me about quality (longevity/durability) of flash memory:
Quality of memory cards
Certain SD Cards Clear Buffer Faster?
Good SD card
SD Card recommendationsI wouldn't recommend SanDisk (Ultra) at all. Using mostly the cheapest, least realiable TLC NAND now, SanDisk isn't was it was several time ago.

SD Cards We Recommend for Dash Cameras
SLC vs. MLC: Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Nowadays SLC unfortunately is only beeing used in industrial cards (high endurance, low performance).
So today (e)MLC ist the best choice. Like Panasonic Gold Pro or Lexar Professional. Maybe Samsung Pro(+) too.
12-16-2019, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
After looking into the physics of flash memory, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.
Thank error correction. In SSDs there is also under provisioning, better wear leveling (doesn't require a format), better controllers, and less dense memory cells which is why they last even longer. As bad as flash memory is it is still better and more reliable than 1.44MB floppies, or even zip drives which I use extensively. Got a usb 16MB flash drive towards the end of the Zip drive era and even though it had less capacity it was so much more reliable. There is something to be said about buying a quality card too.

12-16-2019, 07:08 PM   #35
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just ran through a stack of CD's that I burned in the early 2000's and only one had issues out of about 50. I still have the original set of blank CD's that are unused sitting on the shelf (with the ComputerLand barcode on it).

I have had only one CD - a duplicate - fail on me when I dropped it and it landed on edge - the interior layer fractured like glass. Looked kind of cool but the data? All gone.

So far I have had poor luck with DVD's mainly noname, Kodak and worst of all FujiFilm. All of my Blue-Ray disks are OK. My Blue-Ray/DVD/RAM-Disk/CD burner may not work with M-Disks, plus they are expensive and hard to find outlets for.
02-01-2020, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I store images on a 2 drive NAS configured as Raid 1 (mirrored) and I backup the data to a usb drive and cloud. The backup drive I replace every couple of years. I also replace the NAS every 4-5 year...upping the storage each time...I'm currently at 1 TB and I'll probably go to 4 TB next. I also have a TB of self hosted cloud storage (using Nextcloud) and I keep another backup there for ease of access. My next iteration I will make a 4TB NAS my cloud storage and just do USB backups.