Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 01:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Binoculars

Greetings all. I happily got a pair of Pentax binoculars for Christmas, and the process of shopping around for them made me wonder about reviews.
I know binoculars don't have all the exciting, settings and adjustments that you get with a camera, or the ability to compare images as with lens reviews, but there is still a lot you can say about them. There are probably a large number of us that own at least one pair of Pentax binoculars, and can give some critical appraisal of them to help others.
So what do you think? Is it worth extending a photographic forum to include binoculars and spotting scopes?

12-26-2019, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Its alright with me, as long as we don't also do endoscopes and medical equipment, then it will get messy!
12-26-2019, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Its alright with me, as long as we don't also do endoscopes and medical equipment, then it will get messy!
For sale: Pentax endoscope, only used once...
12-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Robin Quote
I know binoculars don't have all the exciting
Absolutely not. Very interesting topic. I've got a pair of Pentax bino that I used for five or six years. I tend to not carry my wildlife K1+150450 when I go to a new place, I take the bino instead coz they are much lighter and can fit in a small backpack with thermos for making tea/coffee. There are reviews for binocular on specialized sites, the technology of roof prisms has improved a lot in recent years. For bird watching, I appreciate those Pentax bino very much, it's not the same experience as looking through a camera viewfinder, the image is crispier through the binoculars and binoculars are much more rugged than any camera can be.

I happily got a pair of Pentax binoculars for Christmas
What model did you get?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-26-2019 at 04:37 AM.
12-26-2019, 05:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iíve had a couple of pairs of Pentax binos. The first pair were 8x40 in the 90s which unfortunately were stolen, but the current pair are the superb AD 8x36 roof prism all-weather set.
12-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

you could post a review like this one

Pentax 8x42 DCF HRc reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

while trying to convince Adam to set up a special section

I would like to see such a section
12-26-2019, 07:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Absolutely not. Very interesting topic. I've got a pair of Pentax bino that I used for five or six years. I tend to not carry my wildlife K1+150450 when I go to a new place, I take the bino instead coz they are much lighter and can fit in a small backpack with thermos for making tea/coffee. There are reviews for binocular on specialized sites, the technology of roof prisms has improved a lot in recent years. For bird watching, I appreciate those Pentax bino very much, it's not the same experience as looking through a camera viewfinder, the image is crispier through the binoculars and binoculars are much more rugged than any camera can be.

What model did you get?
I got a pair of AD 8x25 WPs. They are super compact, so I can keep them on hand in my van, or when I travel for business. I also have some XCF 10x50s which are quite bulky, and not waterproof etc.

---------- Post added 12-26-19 at 07:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you could post a review like this one

Pentax 8x42 DCF HRc reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

while trying to convince Adam to set up a special section

I would like to see such a section
I'm not trying to convince Adam, I was hoping that the overwhelming wave of popular opinion would do that!

12-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #8

I had no idea they existed, so am glad you posted this thread. If I ever need binoculars I can "keep it in the family", so to speak.
12-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . I'm not trying to convince Adam, I was hoping that the overwhelming wave of popular opinion would do that!
just post a review then

[ just kidding all the way ]
12-26-2019, 08:29 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We have three pairs of Pentax binoculars. One we have had for about 30 years. These are the 10 x 24 UCF-III model. Good for birding and a walk in the park. They have held up well.

In late 2018 ago I got a pair of 8 x 25 A-Series AD WP Compact Binocular. A good value. Clear and sharp and fit in a lot of pockets and that nook in the camera bag.

Also in late 2018 I got a pair of Pentax 10 x 43 Z-Series ZD ED Binoculars. B&H had a killer sale on them that I could not resist. The best pair of binoculars that I have ever owned. Out west where the view is for miles and the air crisp and clear they really shine. No regrets in getting these. I gave them a 5 star review on the B&H website.

Last edited by gaweidert; 12-26-2019 at 09:10 AM.
12-26-2019, 08:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I got a pair of AD 8x25 WPs. They are super compact
Ah I see, yes they look small. Mine are the SD 9x42 WP, I like how well they fit in the hands, they exhibit some CA out of the center, the ED ones are better optically but more expensive.
12-26-2019, 09:08 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I wouldn't mind having a review section for other Pentax optics.
12-26-2019, 10:21 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a Papillio 8*21 and find them excellent. Light and small, very clear image and the macro close ups are amazing. I wanted something a bit longer than my 500mm Sigma that I could carry in my pocket. I've used them alot.
12-26-2019, 10:22 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Good idea Robin, maybe post in Site Suggestions?
12-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I got a Papillio 8*21 and find them excellent. Light and small, very clear image and the macro close ups are amazing. I wanted something a bit longer than my 500mm Sigma that I could carry in my pocket. I've used them alot.
These are fantastic binos. I have the 6x21's for general use and museum viewing. Just incredible macro capabilities, but clear and bright at distance with no distortions. Highly recommended. They make my older 8x UCF's look not great---and I liked those when I got them.