Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tripods & Body Straps

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all,

For some time I have using the Arca quick release system and have dual plate for the camera that allows me to attach a strap ring too (Shuangyu M-PRO Aluminium Quick Release Plate Clamp: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics). For christmas I got a new tripod (K&F Concept KF2624L) that has a head using the Velbon quick release system. I have so far been unable to find a dual plate for the new tripod. How do you guys handle using a body strap and tripod? Do you switch the fittings as needed?

Lisa

12-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could add a arca swiss compatible clamp to the Velbon system. This one is a bit lighter in weight than most because of all the cut outs. It screws right to the screw mount on the Velbon plate. It would be a bit redundant I know, but at least you don't have to change what you already have. I put these on my Manfrotto mini tripods and they work well. There are lots of others as well.

amazon.com : Skeleton Clamp Desmond DAC-X1 50mm QR Lightweight w Bubble Level 3/8?tag=pentaxforums-20&" w 1/4" Adapter Arca Compatible for Tripod Head : Arca Swiss Clamp : Camera & Photo
12-26-2019, 03:16 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I use peak designs attachments and with the L bracket, I sling my camera the old LX way, sideways.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad Air 2  Photo 
12-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Arca system is better than Velbon, Manfrotto, A N Other. I’d see if the head from your last tripod will fit the new one and keep using the Arca-style fitting.

12-26-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
I put these on my Manfrotto mini tripods and they work well. There are lots of others as well.

amazon.com : Skeleton Clamp Desmond DAC-X1 50mm QR Lightweight w Bubble Level 3/8?tag=pentaxforums-20&" w 1/4" Adapter Arca Compatible for Tripod Head : Arca Swiss Clamp : Camera & Photo
I also use the DAC-X1 as an easy way to adapt to Arca Swiss. Quality is good and price is low.

Steve
12-26-2019, 06:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
The Arca system is better than Velbon, Manfrotto, A N Other.
I'm not convinced about that. The Arca system seems a bit clunky to me. You have to screw it in and out. Some other systems, like Manfrotto and even my old Vanguard, are quick release with a lever, which is much quicker and easier to use, even with one hand. The Arca advantage is that it's become something of a standard, with many manufacturers adopting it.
12-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I'm not convinced about that. The Arca system seems a bit clunky to me. You have to screw it in and out. Some other systems, like Manfrotto and even my old Vanguard, are quick release with a lever, which is much quicker and easier to use, even with one hand. The Arca advantage is that it's become something of a standard, with many manufacturers adopting it.
BTW, there are some Arca type clamps that have a lever.

I've also converted tripods to the Arca system which makes a lot of sense if you have more than one tripod. It's easy to do also. I did have one that needed some modifications due to it being a very small ball head, but I have a gunsmith friend that was able to perfectly machine what I needed.

12-27-2019, 01:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not convinced about that. The Arca system seems a bit clunky to me. You have to screw it in and out.
Granted, though how firmly the camera is then held might be more important.
12-29-2019, 03:42 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Rightly Right Stuff do offer a Lever Clamp System for Arca Swiss Plates.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/intro-to-rrs-qr-system
01-06-2020, 06:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The Arca system seems a bit clunky to me. You have to screw it in and out.
There are Arca compatible llevers. But, really, screwing takes a few seconds at most and is very secure once closed. I never ever minded having to screw the lock. Plus it has several advantages: universality, ability to turn the head into a mini macro rail, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
For some time I have using the Arca quick release system and have dual plate for the camera that allows me to attach a strap ring too (Shuangyu M-PRO Aluminium Quick Release Plate Clamp: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics). For christmas I got a new tripod (K&F Concept KF2624L) that has a head using the Velbon quick release system. I have so far been unable to find a dual plate for the new tripod. How do you guys handle using a body strap and tripod? Do you switch the fittings as needed?
I also (like someone else who posted) use Peak Design's system. Their straps are excellent, and come with an Acra-Swiss compatible plate. But mostly I use their Capture Clip. In any case, their quick-release Anchors are wonderful and unobtrusive, and their plates fit on all Acra-Swiss heads I've ever used.

Here's a review of the previous version of the Capture (the new one is smaller and sleeker but the operation is identical) as well as their strap:

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
01-06-2020, 11:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WondringLisa Quote
For christmas I got a new tripod (K&F Concept KF2624L) that has a head using the Velbon quick release system.

How do you guys handle using a body strap and tripod?

Do you switch the fittings as needed?
I choose every single component in advance so they'll fit together.
Example:
Tipp: Blackrapid und Sunsniper Kamera Gurt und Stativ - kein lästiges Schrauben mehr! - gwegner.de

I once had a tripod for 20€, but this was just strong enough for a 250g compact camera in vertical position.
Got a 150€ Manfrotto 8 years later.

Currently i'm using a SunSniper together with plate on every lens and camera.
All plates have the same Manfrotto quickmount system (besides lenses over 2kg and heads for these lenses, they use arca swiss).