Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do fast SD cards transfer faster than usb 2?

The K-1 shoots big files. They take time to load on to computer. Using usb 2.0 card reader and a Sandisk 64gb card that is 100mbs. Would an usb 3.0 card reader plugged into a 3.0 usb port be any faster? Or is usb 2.0 faster than any card?
Thanks,
barondla

12-31-2019, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you have a fast SD card, like a SandDisk Extreme Pro, I would expect an improvement to use a USB 3.0 reader and corresponding port. Here's a random hit showing USB speeds - 2.0 maxes out around 60 MB/sec, while my Extreme Pro cards are rated up to 95 MB/sec, and newer ones are even faster.

USB Connectors Specifications
12-31-2019, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

USB 2 max speed is 480 Megabits per second, or 60 Megabytes per second.
USB 3.0 max speed is 5 Gigabits per second, or 625 Megabytes per second.

So, in theory, an SD card with a speed of 95 Megabytes per second, such as a Sandisk Extreme Pro card (which I currently use) would be quicker with USB 3. I don't have a USB 3 port on my computer, so unfortunately I can't test for you.
12-31-2019, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Theoretical speed is 60MBps for USB 2.0 and 640 MBps for USB 3.0.

My better SD cards say they will read at 95 MBps.

So (theoretically) yes a fast SD card like Sandisk Extreme Pro will perform better on a USB 3.0 reader. In practice I have used both and while I have not done any real testing there is a noticeable difference in load time using USB 3.0. However, I'm not sure it is worth going out and buying a new card reader or computer to do it. Certainly if I was buying a new reader or computer I would insist on USB 3.0 (and USB 3.1) ports.

Because those read rates are theoretical other factors may have an impact. If your computer or your storage drive is slow and cannot keep up then no matter how fast the card reader is you will not go any faster. The slowest part of the chain will be the bottleneck in your load speeds. Card speed, reader speed, bus speed, drive speed, whichever is slowest is the limiting factor.

12-31-2019, 10:45 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The K-1 shoots big files. They take time to load on to computer. Using usb 2.0 card reader and a Sandisk 64gb card that is 100mbs. Would an usb 3.0 card reader plugged into a 3.0 usb port be any faster? Or is usb 2.0 faster than any card?
Thanks,
barondla
Assuming your PC isn't too old, the short answer is yes. The practical speed of USB2 readers is somewhere around 30Mb/s (read) and 15Mb/s (write). Decent USB3 readers might double or triple that figure and would then be on par with the card's speed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-31-2019, 10:59 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Assuming your PC isn't too old, the short answer is yes. The practical speed of USB2 readers is somewhere around 30Mb/s (read) and 15Mb/s (write). Decent USB3 readers might double or triple that figure and would then be on par with the card's speed.
Thanks Adam and everyone else. Laptop was purchased this year. The desktop is about 7 years old and also has a SD slot and usb 3 ports. Need to compare external 3.0 card reader speed to built in SD card slot.
Thanks,
barondla
12-31-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This just showed up in my inbox:

https://photographylife.com/understanding-memory-cards

12-31-2019, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Although Pentax cameras so not take advantage of them UHS II cards will transfer even faster with compatible card readers in most new computers
01-01-2020, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The card reader itself can make a huge difference. The two best units I found on USB3.0 are the Kingston FCR-HS4 and the Unitek Y-9313D. One of my PC's has an internal reader, and the same card downloads much faster with either of these two external units. I also found updating the device driver for the internal card readers (often based on Realtek chipsets) can make a significant improvement.
01-01-2020, 11:56 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
The card reader itself can make a huge difference. The two best units I found on USB3.0 are the Kingston FCR-HS4 and the Unitek Y-9313D. One of my PC's has an internal reader, and the same card downloads much faster with either of these two external units. I also found updating the device driver for the internal card readers (often based on Realtek chipsets) can make a significant improvement.
Great info. How would one find out if they had the most current driver for a built in card reader?
thanks,
barondla
01-02-2020, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Manufacture's website, find support, downloads, and look for card reader drivers. Most computers website can scan your computer and it will show which drivers are for your computer.
01-02-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Manufacture's website, find support, downloads, and look for card reader drivers. Most computers website can scan your computer and it will show which drivers are for your computer.
Good to know. The laptop is less than a year old and always getting Dell updates, so it should be fine. The laptop has usb 3 ports on its left side and usb 2 and SD card slot on the right. Should probably compare the built in reader to an external 3.0 to see if it achieves 3.0 transfer speed.

The desk top is older and already uses an external 3.0 reader.
Thanks,
barondla
01-02-2020, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Usually, card slots are USB 2.0. And the reason I believe it is USB 2 is because of the two USB 2.0 ports are on the same side as the card slot. I would still check with Dell as whether they have an update on the card slot. Updates are usually security, not parts updates.
01-02-2020, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And I can attest to USB 3.0 card reader plugged into a USB 3.9 slot on your computer is faster. My desktop has two USB 3.0 ports on top of the case and I have a 3.0 card reader, transfer is really fast.
01-19-2020, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Good to know. The laptop is less than a year old and always getting Dell updates, so it should be fine. The laptop has usb 3 ports on its left side and usb 2 and SD card slot on the right. Should probably compare the built in reader to an external 3.0 to see if it achieves 3.0 transfer speed.

The desk top is older and already uses an external 3.0 reader.
Thanks,
barondla
Unless I'm missing reading your post, it seems that you have all you need to test it yourself. Move your external usb3 reader from the desktop to the laptop and compare file transfer on the usb2 to the usb3.

I definitely see a difference in transfer times on my usb3 compared to my usb2. I have 95 MB/s U3 class 10 SD cards so they make use of the faster capability of the reader.

By the way, having the U3 cards are not necessary for the camera's write speed, as the internal camera write to memory is relatively slow. I could test no difference with 40MB/s cards in camera v. the 95 MB/s cards.