Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Forum Member

AF-540 FGZ look alike

I'm new to photography and i would like to buy a flash, i know that the Pentax AF-540 FGZ would be ideal but the prize is a little more then what i could afford...

the price of the AF-360 FGZ is more of what price i would pay....

What is the real difference between the two and is there another brand that i could possibly check for a 540 FGZ look alike but in a more lower price

Thanks

10-23-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The big differences between the AF360 and AF540 is that the latter is more powerful, and its head swivels (very handy when you want to bounce when shooting in the "portrait"/vertical orientation).

The Sigma EF530 DG SUPER is an inexpensive alternative. It supports P-TTL, wireless triggerring via the K10D/K20D's pop-up flash, tilts and swivels, and is about as powerful as the AF540. It costs about the same as the AF360.

Compared to the AF540, it lacks an "Auto" mode (also called "thrystor"), and its built quality is not as good.

Metz also makes P-TTL compatible flashes, but I'm not familiar with them.
10-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With mets you can get the 48 model which swivels and bounces but has no auto mode or the 58 model (more powerful with auto mode). They should cost less than Pentax flashes.

If you are just starting and want to go the full manual way, you can pickup old thyristor flash for something like $20 (fleabay or thrift store) and use it in manual mode. I have two flashes like that and they work fine. You just have to make sure that the voltage is safe.
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drabina Quote
With mets you can get the 48 model which swivels and bounces but has no auto mode or the 58 model (more powerful with auto mode). They should cost less than Pentax flashes.

If you are just starting and want to go the full manual way, you can pickup old thyristor flash for something like $20 (fleabay or thrift store) and use it in manual mode. I have two flashes like that and they work fine. You just have to make sure that the voltage is safe.
The Metz 58 may be in the same price range as the 540.

10-23-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JFMichaud Quote
I'm new to photography and i would like to buy a flash, i know that the Pentax AF-540 FGZ would be ideal but the prize is a little more then what i could afford...

the price of the AF-360 FGZ is more of what price i would pay....

What is the real difference between the two and is there another brand that i could possibly check for a 540 FGZ look alike but in a more lower price

Thanks
Check the market place. There are 540 and 360 flashes in there for good prices from time to time.
10-24-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another difference between the 540 and 360 is the external battery port. That port allows you to connect either a Pentax battery pack or Quantum Turbo or similar.
Probably not needed by most, but very handy for mega macro work or wedding photography.
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Another difference between the 540 and 360 is the external battery port. That port allows you to connect either a Pentax battery pack or Quantum Turbo or similar.
Probably not needed by most, but very handy for mega macro work or wedding photography.
Which Quantum Turbo works with the 540 ...they show models compatible with the older AF500FTZ but not with the current generation AF-540FGZ. Will the same batteries work?

And BTW, another good point of the 540 over the 360 is that you can turn off the auto shut down on the 540. Very important if shooting in manual mode with the flash off camera.

10-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I'm not the liabilities coordinator for Quantum, so anything I say at this point is to be taken with a grain of salt...
Do the Quantum compatability charts specify not to use their batteries with the 540 or is it just not on their list? Back when I bought my Turbo for the 500FTZ flashes they weren't listed on the compatability chart either. I just bought the synch cord which fit the 500's (and now the 540's) and banged away without troubles of any kind. Because the 500 was not on their chart, I didn't know which synch cord to use. A helpful shop salesman at Huppins in Spokane WA pointed me to the Vivitar cord (I think) and also sold me the Turbo battery.
Since the earlier Pentax battery packs cross apply to both the earlier 500 series and now the 540 flash, I'm PRESUMING this would be true with the Quantum batteries?
Loaned my Turbo to one of the other forum members for a several month contest he was doing--partly on the hopes he'd try it on his 540 flash. Never got the test, so only have my positive experience on several 500FTZ flashes.
Sorry for the hijack--
10-24-2008, 09:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm getting confused, here. I've got the Metz 48 on my Christmas wish list, but it doesn't have an Auto mode? What exactly does that mean?

On the Sigma EF530, I noticed that there are actually 2 flashes--the Super and the non-Super. Besides the price, what is the difference between the 2?

Overall, which flash is the best, the Sigma 530, Metz 48 or 58, or Pentax 530. I'm looking for one that has the swivel head, so that's why I didn't mention the 360.

Thanks!
Heather
10-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #10

Super has wireless capability, either acts as master (when put in hotshoe and trigger another 530 super), or as slave (using pop-up flash as trigger).
in the Super version, there is a feature called Flash Modeling to check for shadows before actually taking picture.

When you say "the best", what is your criteria?
10-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I'm getting confused, here. I've got the Metz 48 on my Christmas wish list, but it doesn't have an Auto mode? What exactly does that mean?

On the Sigma EF530, I noticed that there are actually 2 flashes--the Super and the non-Super. Besides the price, what is the difference between the 2?

Overall, which flash is the best, the Sigma 530, Metz 48 or 58, or Pentax 530. I'm looking for one that has the swivel head, so that's why I didn't mention the 360.

Thanks!
Heather
When thinking of auto flash in pentax, think back to the film cameras and the thyristor setups. The 48 is a good flash. I have it. I wasn't willing to pay nearly $200 more for the 58. The 48 can work in the wireless mode using the pop-up flash to controll it. It is made in Germany and the quality is good. I sort of wish I had gone with the Pentax 540 but the QC issues worried me. The only bad thing I can say about the Metz 48 is the menu system is hard to get used to/figure out initially.
10-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulusta Quote
Super has wireless capability, either acts as master (when put in hotshoe and trigger another 530 super), or as slave (using pop-up flash as trigger).
in the Super version, there is a feature called Flash Modeling to check for shadows before actually taking picture.

When you say "the best", what is your criteria?
Good info--that means that I don't need to spend nearly $100 more on the Super version.

What I'm looking for is a good quality flash that will work in all modes. At this point, I don't anticipate needing wireless capability, but if I ever do, I could use my Sunpak 383 as a slave when paired with a transmitter. I would like one with a head that swivels, so I can bounce it when shooting vertically.

The Sunpak 383 is fine, but I'd like to be able to use it in other modes besides Manual or the X mode on the K10/20.

Heather
10-24-2008, 07:16 PM   #13

you can fire Sunpak 383 in Tv or Av mode.
Or, did I miss your point?
10-25-2008, 04:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulusta Quote
you can fire Sunpak 383 in Tv or Av mode.
Or, did I miss your point?
I didn't realize that. I'll have to give it a try. Maybe I don't need a new flash after all.

Heather
10-27-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If the flash can't communicate with the camera body I doubt you can usefully use a "universal" auto thyristor flash in Av and Tv modes. The camera can't "see" that there's a flash and will try to set shutter speed or aperture (depends in which mode) according to the available light without flash (very slow shutter speeds or very large appertures).

I use my auto flash in manual mode as in Av it is useless.