Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

FluCard issues - was functional, but now no connection/SSID, saving not possible

Hello,

I have O-FC1 FluCard (16 GB), used with Pentax K-3ii.

In the past, all worked fine, but today I realized the following:

- The camera is not able to save images to FluCard.
- The camera is not listing SSID and other network details when having FluCard in slot 2 (it is possible to turn FluCard on and off in Settings).
- I cannot connect to FluCard from my smartphone (no camera WiFi detected).
- There is no quiet buzzing or beeping which occurred in the past (and which I attributed to the FluCard operational presence, rather than to the camera itself).

On the other hand, the camera still "knows" that FluCard is (or is not) in slot 2, as it gave an error when I tried to swap the cards (having FluCard in slot 1) to see any difference and went to FluCard settings.

As a side note, I detected this issue while working with a wireless remote shutter/timer control. ("Unable to store image" error appeared after the card 1 got full.) Couldn't the issue be caused by some "short circuit" conflict/issue, having a FluCard in a memory slot and at the same time using the cable switch terminal?

In any case, are there any procedures I could try, or should I just consider the card gone? (It is not covered with a warranty any more.)

If gone, any suggestions where to obtain a "new" one? (I know there are various Japanese listings on eBay, but approx. 100 USD is a bit steep, given this is so far rather a "nice to have" feature for me than something absolutely necessary. I'm aware there are some similar, cheaper options like Toshiba Flashair, but to my knowledge these don't allow remote finder view/shooting.)

The firmware in my camera is 1.10. Might trying to reload this have any effect?

Thank you!

01-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax2019 Quote
- The camera is not able to save images to FluCard.
Is the card writable and readable using a different device, say your computer?

It is possible that the WiFi abilities depend on the card being functional and that corruption to the file system may be at fault. "Unable to store image" often indicates a need to reformat.

On the other hand, the camera still "knows" that FluCard is (or is not) in slot 2, as it gave an error when I tried to swap the cards (having FluCard in slot 1) to see any difference and went to FluCard settings.
Does it show as present on the top LCD?

As a side note, I detected this issue while working with a wireless remote shutter/timer control. ("Unable to store image" error appeared after the card 1 got full.) Couldn't the issue be caused by some "short circuit" conflict/issue, having a FluCard in a memory slot and at the same time using the cable switch terminal?
This is highly unlikely and if so, I would expect damage to multiple systems having to do with shutter release. (The wired remote fitting works in parallel to the shutter button.)

Unless this issue surfaced immediately after the update to firmware v1.10, it is highly unlikely that the cause is traceable there.

Steve
01-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
May be you get help here: :::: Flucard pro ::::
01-09-2020, 02:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Is the card writable and readable using a different device, say your computer?
The card is not detected when inserted into the SD slot. There only were some quiet metallic buzzing "beeps" at approx. 5 second interval for about 1/2 or 1 minute, but nothing else happened. (The standard SD card was recognized without any issues.)

The only scenario when the card is visible is when it is in the camera - the camera detects it, and also the computer "sees" it when I connect the camera to the PC via a USB cable. However there is no content shown/accessible when trying to view the card folder.

QuoteQuote:
"Unable to store image" often indicates a need to reformat.
I tried this, first through the PC (no change whatsoever), then directly from the camera. The formatting barely started, and "memory card error" appeared. Now, when I try to view it through the PC, while I can still see the (empty) folder, there is no volume size or free space listed (all values at 0 bytes) - earlier, there was some free and some used capacity shown.

QuoteQuote:
Does it show as present on the top LCD?
Yes.

---------- Post added 01-09-20 at 02:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
May be you get help here: :::: Flucard pro ::::
Thank you, I sent them an e-mail.

01-09-2020, 04:23 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried this, first through the PC (no change whatsoever), then directly from the camera. The formatting barely started, and "memory card error" appeared. Now, when I try to view it through the PC, while I can still see the (empty) folder, there is no volume size or free space listed (all values at 0 bytes) - earlier, there was some free and some used capacity shown.
The card file system is corrupt, probably courtesy of your computer. Two memory card best practices:
  1. Never use the format utility on your computer to format the card if you intend to use it anywhere else.* This is important.
  2. When reading to you computer, always eject or unmount the card/camera before pulling the cable or removing the card. This is also important.
Sermon over...all is not lost. Download the format utility from the SD Association Web site:
SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association
Use the format utility's "Overwrite format" option to reformat your card. This will erase all contents, sorry . Once it is reformatted, put in your camera and do an in-camera format. It should be writable again and with any luck, the WiFi stuff will also come online too.

Steve

* The reason is both simple and complex. The short answer is that operating system support for the exFAT file system used by the SD cards larger than 32GB is often poor, if present at all. For SDHD cards such as the Flucard, plain old FAT32 should work, but whether that will satisfy the K-3II is hard to say. What I do know is that the SD Association utility has rescued many cards for users on this site.

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-09-2020 at 05:17 PM.
01-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hello,

In short: The FluCard is alive and kicking.

In detail: I suspect that my FluCard is sensitive to (over)load (see 1) below) and/or sufficient power supply (see 2) below).

1) The issue (FluCard "lost") repeatedly surfaced in a situation when, while taking pictures (not using Wi-Fi control), the camera was set to store the photos in a RAW format (so basically two files), and these were to be stored on the FluCard. If set to JPG, all seems to work fine. (This was also my past experience before this thread - as far as I can see I didn't store DNG/PEG to the FluCard earlier.)

2) After my previous post, I tried some additional ways to fix the issue. When trying to solve the problem through a notebook, the card inserted into the card slot of the computer (i.e. not in the camera connected through the USB cable) was displayed (and even that was still somewhat of a lottery) only after I plugged the power cable into a wall outlet. (When the nootebook was running on a battery, nothing happened except for some random beeps, as described earlier.) Interestingly, the card was still showing the folders and photos at that point, so it seems the formatting described in my earlier post didn't actually happen.

Anyway, following the advice above and in this thread K3 + flu card "memory card error" (both new) - PentaxForums.com, once I finally had the "card detected" scenario, I tried to format the card using both the SD utility and the Win formatting feature. I say "tried" - somehow none of the formatting attempts was finished, some kind of error appeared almost immediately after the procedure started. (Not that I would be too surprised at this point. :) ) I suspect that the FluCard disconnected due to a higher load during the formatting.

So now I had some kind of a semi-formatted card - Windows saw it as unformatted, but it was not possible to complete the formatting in there. So I tried to format the FluCard in the camera (slot 1). And voila - this succeeded, and when inserted into slot 2, I finally again heard the familiar "setup buzzing", SSID was shown etc.

So if I may give an advice to anyone struggling with similar issues, depending on the nature of your problem - or actually to prevent it in the first place - consider setting your camera so it doesn't save (tries to save) RAW files on the FluCard. I think in theory, using the separate saving storage option (card 1 - PEF/DNG, card 2 - JPG) should work in such cases, but I haven't tested that. (I primarily have the FluCard for remote capture control.)

Thank you for your assistance.