Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dual Flash Hot shoe Bracket

Is there a dual hot shoe bracket like ones offered for cannon and nikon? I want to mount a fill flash speed light with my O-GPS1 unit. An any one tell me if the canon or nikon bracket is suitable?

01-08-2020, 02:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thinking you might have a KP, and from what I've seen, it doesn't have an X-sync port, but, maybe you could use the PENTAX Hot Shoe Adapter F on the camera, then Mount the O-GPS1 unit on that, and then use the PENTAX Extension Cord F5P (Short) with PENTAX Off-camera Shoe Adapter F attached to any third party flash bracket, with your flash on there.

All three items here in the review section.
PENTAX Hot Shoe Adapter F reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX Extension Cord F5P (Short) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
PENTAX Off-camera Shoe Adapter F reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

My only caveat on that is the compatibility of using the GPS unit at the same time the the hotshoe is being used to fire the flash, on this , I don't know, maybe someone esle might, or there maybe some info in the manual for the GPS unit

cmohr
01-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks much help will look around. Pentax does not seem to care about fill flash. Yes I am using a KP great camera body as an amateur enthusiast it is all the camera I need who looks at all the pic's we take any way.
01-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GordZ Quote
Thanks much help will look around. Pentax does not seem to care about fill flash. Yes I am using a KP great camera body as an amateur enthusiast it is all the camera I need who looks at all the pic's we take any way.
Pentax has very good support for fill flash, just not when something other than a flash is mounted on the hot shoe.

As noted above, a good solution might be to clone the hot shoe using a cabled setup. Assuming use of the built-in flash for fill, the most efficient setup would be the Hot Shoe Adapter FG (allows use of the camera's flash), Extension Cord F5P, and Off-camera Shoe Adapter F. If not wanting to use the built-in flash, the Hot Shoe Adapter F would be best. Unfortunately, Pentax-brand components are expensive even used.

There are a number of ways to address this sort of need, including use of pass-through TTL hot shoe adapters offering PC sync.

FWIW...neither Nikon nor Canon offer dual TTL flash brackets.

Steve

(...owns the Hot Shoe Adapter F, Extension Cord F5P, and Off-camera Shoe Adapter F...)

02-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Version I 540 FGZ flashes are now cheap on the used market and have direct port for F5p cords. Combined with Off-camera Shoe Adapter(s) and F5p cords you can daisy-chain as many flashes as you want. I've gone as far as 3 units with one for primary illumination, one for fill and one on the longer flash synch cord for backlighting.

You might want to play around with bouncing flash off small reflectors too. Adds angled fill flash and if you use metallic surface reflectors you can pop the specular highlights too...I usually prefer white bounced flash but have a few gold and silver images that worked quite well and sold to magazine editors.

Done this type of stuff a bunch, primarily with rigs like Stevebrot describes and always for macro or intimate landscape stuff. For portrait work I must bow out as a complete unknowing fool...

Double up flash heads on an inline two flash bracket from Really Right Stuff...lots of configurations. All that I've used worked great.