Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Lens wrapping tape.

Hi all,
I recently acquired a Sigma 300mm F4 APO for a very good price. Optically and mechanically it is great. The only issue is its hood is a bit tacky to the touch from old age. Obviously it makes no difference in the operation of the lens but I was thinking of wrapping it with Tape.. maybe camo or mat black. Anyone have a suggestion as to a good product?

I was thinking of using Gaffer's Tape or something like the removable wrap hunters use like this...
Camo Form Reusable Fabric Wrap | GEAR AID

Any suggestions?
AL

01-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Gaffer's tape would be your best choice. I have not seen it in camo, but many other colors including black.
01-08-2020, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Lens wrapping tape.
I can recommend Camo Form, the self cling camouflage wrap by McNett Corporation.

I used it on my "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 to conceal her modesty.
01-08-2020, 02:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I think Gaffer's tape would be your best choice. I have not seen it in camo, but many other colors including black.
Thanks for the comment here...I havent found camo either but the black is a definite option.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I can recommend Camo Form, the self cling camouflage wrap by McNett Corporation.

I used it on my "HM The Queen" SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5 to conceal her modesty.
Thank you! I may have to pick some up for my SMC Pentax 500 as well! She could definitely use some concealing!

AL

Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-08-2020 at 03:11 PM.
01-08-2020, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's also the neoprene camo covers that might work. Amazon and B&H both have them.
01-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently acquired a Sigma 300mm F4 APO for a very good price. Optically and mechanically it is great. The only issue is its hood is a bit tacky to the touch from old age.
Would I be correct in assuming that it is this lens?
The zen coating used on the barrel on those does suck and mine was also a little tacky when I acquired it 1.5 years ago. What I found was that a few wipe downs with some isopropal alcohol solved that problem. Basically I wiped it down with an alcohol damp cloth quickly (no scrubbing but a good light back and forth) a couple of times. The a few days later did so again. I did this for a couple maybe 3 weeks and it has been doing just fine since.

Enjoy the lens and if you can nail the focus it has been a really good performer for me. I use it a lot for flower plant close ups.
01-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is the soft "zen" rubbery coating, or something similar, then you have two choices; cover it up or clean it off. Cleaning is accomplished by meths, rag and elbow grease, you can see results here my review of the apo 500mm f7.2. For covering I picked up a length of cheap slightly stretchy camo material online, pvc I think it's not a woven fabric. This is pretty ideal for a bit of lens wrapping, just overlap and glue. Camo neoprene would provide some impact protection as well as coverage.

01-08-2020, 04:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
There's also the neoprene camo covers that might work. Amazon and B&H both have them.
Its a good suggestion. Thanks, I will have a look.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 04:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
Would I be correct in assuming that it is this lens?
The zen coating used on the barrel on those does suck and mine was also a little tacky when I acquired it 1.5 years ago. What I found was that a few wipe downs with some isopropal alcohol solved that problem. Basically I wiped it down with an alcohol damp cloth quickly (no scrubbing but a good light back and forth) a couple of times. The a few days later did so again. I did this for a couple maybe 3 weeks and it has been doing just fine since.

Enjoy the lens and if you can nail the focus it has been a really good performer for me. I use it a lot for flower plant close ups.
THAT is the exact lens and issue. Well worth giving the isopropyl alcohol. Thanks for the info.

I Like the lens so far... though I havent had it out much yet.

---------- Post added 01-08-20 at 04:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
If this is the soft "zen" rubbery coating, or something similar, then you have two choices; cover it up or clean it off. Cleaning is accomplished by meths, rag and elbow grease, you can see results here my review of the apo 500mm f7.2. For covering I picked up a length of cheap slightly stretchy camo material online, pvc I think it's not a woven fabric. This is pretty ideal for a bit of lens wrapping, just overlap and glue. Camo neoprene would provide some impact protection as well as coverage.
Thank you! I will have a look at that thread link.

AL
01-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I Like the lens so far... though I havent had it out much yet.
I love mine and while I don't use it much for astro anymore, anything I did with that 300 I do better with the 400/2.8, I still use it all the time, mostly handheld. Most of the time it has the quick connect hex plat for a manfrotto 3047 head on it which makes it super easy to hold.
01-19-2020, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I use
Camo Vinyl Rolls, Mossy Oak Camo Sheets Mossy Oak Graphics | Mossy Oak Graphics

01-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ian, That lens looks great all in camo. BUT I am most interested now in the contraption its mounted on? Have you ever posted about that here that I can read about? Im really curious about it.

Thanks,
AL
01-19-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

BUT I am most interested now in the contraption its mounted on? Have you ever posted about that here that I can read about? Im really curious about it.
I second that. What is the purpose of that thing?
01-19-2020, 12:36 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A very brave man... looks like besides a gimbal mount, he has a spring loaded riser to assist in bringing the rig up and down for shooting, to get the perfect height. That's not the brave part...It looks like he mounted this on a kayak! Please... tell us more!
01-19-2020, 04:02 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Ian, That lens looks great all in camo. BUT I am most interested now in the contraption its mounted on? Have you ever posted about that here that I can read about? Im really curious about it.

Thanks,
AL
It is indeed for use on a kayak, its spring loaded such that it remains locked in either the upright and lower positions

Use it in rivers and lakes all over the place
01-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
It is indeed for use on a kayak, its spring loaded such that it remains locked in either the upright and lower positions

Use it in rivers and lakes all over the place
Thats just amazing. I'd be scared stiff of rolling the Kayak though, but I'd imagine that you have been able to get some very cool shots with that set up. You have got to also get a ton of stares!

al