Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
01-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ask if she is planning on having a photographer for the event.

If no re-read your opening statement. This is the type of advent that really demands someone with the experience.

Wedding are not easy, equipment used will be important and most of all experience is really important.

If she wants you to be a backup available to take just shots as the event progressed that is one thing, being the main shooter is another.

Be honest and just tell her what your feeling are.

01-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
. . .

Be honest and just tell her what your feeling are.
and don't forget, she is not the only one that must be kept happy with your results

her future spouse, in laws and other relatives may not be happy with the results despite your best efforts on her behalf

I would urge you, at a minimum, to discuss it with her and her future husband

if you feel this way, be sure to indicate you have questions about how you are to enjoy your sister's wedding reception if you are expected to act as photographer.

myself, I would feel that I am being asked not to enjoy the occasion with her and her new husband and other people but to work it

being the family photographer along with the professional is the best route but then you want to work closely with the pro and do nothing to make that job more difficult
01-29-2020, 10:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A couple of the comments above reminded me of a wedding I attended last year. There were three professionals at work shooting stills and video.
Viewing the final results I felt that they made a mistake by not making sure they had pictures of all the guests.
Partly so the happy couple can see their guests in all their finery and partly so the guests viewing the pictures can find themselves.
01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I did this several times for different friends, nothing bad came out of this.

In your case I would talk to your sister and ask her, which specific photographs she expects to get (in terms of perspective) and than have a look which ones you need different lenses to.
Renting a k1 with 24-70 f2.8 might be a good idea too.

If you do not feel confident tell her that. A lot of people will tell you to get a professional photographer instead. However, some people cannot afford this, other dont want strangers to take photos of such intimate moments.

01-29-2020, 12:57 PM   #20

Hmmm, if your sister has the money to hire a professional wedding photographer, then definitely go that route. If you have always wanted to try being a wedding photographer, then watch a bunch of Youtube videos for suggestions. If I were you I would be looking at a decent zoom lens and a decent flash as well. I highly recommend a Godox V1-P. Also, google Wilmington, NC River Room wedding photos for ideas on how other photographers have shot weddings in this venue. Hey, the worst that could happen is that your sister never talks to you again, or you become a wedding photographer.
01-29-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just checked out the reception hall's website. The home page shows a happy couple in pleasing afternoon lighting on a deck, with a warning sign about the dangerous currents and submerged pilings, and it has bird crap on it! Seriously????!!!!! No one thought to crop that out?
01-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been asked about doing weddings and had always declined. But a couple we knew asked me and a friend to photograph their wedding, we knew they could not afford a professional, so we agreed. I watched a ton of YouTube videos before hand, and actually it turned out OK, for the price (free). The bride was happy, so all is good. A fast lens is good, along with a flash & diffuser. We had no window light, with interior church lighting.
If you have the time one of video's I watched was this one:
. It's 2 1/2 hours long, goes through the whole wedding shoot plus processing. It is a few years old.

01-29-2020, 05:50 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife and I have been the "background" photographers for 3 nieces/nephews weddings. They all had pros (but one of them I think I could have actually done better than), so there was no great expectation for our shots.

I think, as some have noted above, we worked for and got a lot of background shots, shots of friends & relatives (I made a serious effort to shoot as many as possible), and before (even the day before) and after shots. And, I think our efforts were appreciated. We both had zoom lenses and used in-camera flash a lot.

Could be fun, could be a disaster! As many have said - you need a serious discussion with the bride and groom as to what they expect of you.
01-30-2020, 06:44 AM   #24

Original Poster
Wow guys! Thank you so much to everyone who has responded. I've only had the time to do a quick read of everything, but I will come back in a day or two to really dig in.

I did have a talk with my sister and fiancé to make sure they know this is out of my realm of experience. I even mentioned using my husband's iPhone 11 as a back up, and so far they are still sticking with this plan. They are mostly interested in candid shots.
01-30-2020, 07:39 AM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

wishing all the best for you and them
01-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I’ve shot a lot of weddings over the years. The best advise I can give regarding candid shots at a reception, is to keep it simple. You can do it with a 35mm lens, especially if you’ve been using that lens for a while you’ll know what to expect and be able to “pre-frame” a shot without thinking about it.

I would recommend a flash with a diffuser or bounce. My set up started as the K10, the DA 17-70 and AF 540 flash with a diffuser for receptions. Through the years the camera changed (upgraded) but the lens and flash remained the same. We always did the family group portraits right after the ceremony, so I was able to concentrate on candid shots of family while at the reception. My customers really liked it and it earned me several other wedding jobs.

Enjoy!
01-31-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
PDL
Pentaxian

My general rule is:
If you are a member of the Wedding Party - then leave your camera home.

I shot a few weddings back in the day (film) and for the most part it was a big mistake. I got quite a few comments on what and how to take pictures from the people. The last wedding I took pictures at, I took only a few images of my son (in a monkey suit) with his aunt's and a few OOOHHH look at the pretty boats of no use even to me.
02-01-2020, 11:23 AM   #28
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most important is framing. Think about what is where in your frame and why. That tells the story. Before pressing the shutter, look around the edges of your frame. Close second is lighting. That makes the photos look not just good but great. Use good natural light (windows if applicable) or soft flash light. Ideally from slightly above and slightly sideways for portraits. Never without a diffusor or bounce. Cheap softbox, umbrella, tracing paper, white cardboard, white fabric, wall etc. Don't bounce from a coloured wall, you can't remove that tint in post.
The DA 17-70 is a very good lens for that situation. F4 is reasonably fast and you can go both wide and long. Have fun.
02-01-2020, 11:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I actually love to have a fast aperture picture at weddings. 50mm at F2.8 (or maybe 35mm at F2.0 with aps-c) or something in this area with a bit of distance just makes for a little focus on what you concentrate. The background will be a bit blury but still visible, so you see the surroundings and get the situation nevertheless.