Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2020, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heavier Duty Tripod - <$100?

All,

I'm looking about for a tripod that can handle 18-20lbs, and costs less than $100. Used is fine. I think this puts me in the realm of an older Bogen Manfrotto. For instance, I'm seeing the 3036 / 3236 and 3046 / 3246 in decent condition, used, for about $100 - $120 (with shipping). Claimed weight support is 26.4 lbs. Does anyone have experience with these? Any other tripods I should be considering? Thanks!

--J.

02-01-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My ol slik SL67 can handle that - cost me $30! Trick is finding one at eg a yard sale... (ps the head is removable contrary to review, screw attach is 3/8ths UNC)
Or mayb a big old wooden astro tripod.
02-01-2020, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

have you looked here yet

can't guarantee that prices would be current but you might get some ideas

Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-01-2020, 06:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
My ol slik SL67 can handle that - cost me $30! Trick is finding one at eg a yard sale...
Or mayb a big old wooden astro tripod.
I've been trying to avoid concluding that I just need to make an astro one, like one of these: Eyes On The Sky > DIY Improvements > Tripods > Super Simple Tripod 1x3 ; Super Simple Tripod 2x4

But that may end up being the best option. I currently have a Vanguard AltaPro2+ 263AP - it's rated to 15lbs, and can probably handle more, but it's definitely not stable for night sky photography at 10lbs+.

---------- Post added 02-01-20 at 06:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
have you looked here yet

can't guarantee that prices would be current but you might get some ideas

Tripods and Rigging - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
I had paged through that, but missed this: TMA37AL Mach3 Aluminum Tripod - that is said to handle 35 lbs. I think Benro has a good reputation...no?

02-01-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Bogen 3046 with the 3063 head, and like it quite a bit. It was an eBay purchase for just under a $100. I think it's a pretty solid setup that's hard to beat for the price point. My K-1 II or K-3 II with the DFA 150-450 is quite happy on it. The fluid head is nicely damped and really like the feel of it. While this is more of a video thing, I find it nice for stills too.
02-01-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also watch for close outs at the camera stores, sometimes good deals com along. I got mine that wat ten years ago, I think they were introducing new models. Be careful looking at used tripods and make sure the legs lock well, I’ve seen many broken ones. If you have a store that carries them that is helpful to actually see them and get an idea of what you like.
02-01-2020, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if you have local camera stores, try there for used equipment like tripod legs & heads....

02-01-2020, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try getting a Zomei. Nice piece and low priced. Found that on eBay
02-01-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Surveyor's tripod? One of those would be easier to adapt than making one from scratch. As noted above, camera stores often have used tripods. Be wary of claimed capacity, most, particularly travel/compact models, are exaggerated.

Steve
02-01-2020, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Look for a used Majestic tripod. "6500" spec'd to support 30 lbs, "7500" to support 40 lbs. I have put much heavier gear on my older model - makes it harder to crank up but down is really quick! Easy to set up with lots of adjustments. Of course, the tripod weighs like a ton, but very stable.
02-01-2020, 06:01 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Surveyor's tripod? One of those would be easier to adapt than making one from scratch. As noted above, camera stores often have used tripods. Be wary of claimed capacity, most, particularly travel/compact models, are exaggerated.

Steve
I've looked at those, and they seem to have mixed reviews. On the one hand, they have the nice feet that go into the ground and anchor well. OTOH, some people say they are meant to stay in place with lighter weight. It's something I'm still investigating. I may end up with an older Celestron field mount, which is rated to something crazy.

---------- Post added 02-01-20 at 06:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zoneV Quote
Look for a used Majestic tripod. "6500" spec'd to support 30 lbs, "7500" to support 40 lbs. I have put much heavier gear on my older model - makes it harder to crank up but down is really quick! Easy to set up with lots of adjustments. Of course, the tripod weighs like a ton, but very stable.
Oh interesting. I hadn't seen one of those before. Thanks!