Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 07:52 AM   #76
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
* It is possible to remove lens coatings if undiluted solvents are used to clean lenses - it is recommended to dilute concentrated solvents the user is unfamiliar with to at least half strength to prevent cleaning mishaps.
I use nothing stronger than Palmolive dishwashing detergent.

02-10-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #77
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Every UV / protective filter thread ends up this way... There's nothing more certain, save for death and taxes
I like this one, too: "Which is more effective, 9mm or .45ACP?"

Me ol' Dad used to say, "You pays yer money and takes yer choice." It all depends on which set of consequences you'd like to get from your decision. I see that as a matter of personal preference. De gustibus non est disputandum.
03-23-2020, 03:18 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I use B+W protective filters. Do they degrade the image? I haven't been able to conclusively say. When I started fitting them I tested in some very tricky lighting conditions and I could not perceive any differences. In fact in some flare conditions the end results might even have been aesthetically, slightly better. So I fitted them to all my quality lenses from new, reasoning that the benefits of protection, and probably resell, was worth it. I tried a Hoya filter and a Kenko and concluded I would not use these.

In some cases they imrove the weather resistance of a lens. I always use the added protection of a lens hood. Yes they are expensive, but I factor this in when I buy a new lens.

So I'm comfortable with fitting them and probably more relaxed about a lens' use, for instance when I forget to fit a lens cap and pop it back into my bag also with lenses that have short hoods, straps, branches, fingers etc would otherwise risk making the front elements.

The B+W filters are easy to clean I find.
I agree and do pretty well what you do. I generally use B+W F-Pro filters, generally clear filters to protect my lenses. I have tried a number of before and after tests...with/without filters...same subject, same weather/sun, etc. conditions and with the B+W have failed to notice any discernible difference.

In my many years of photography I have occasionally (very rare) dropped a camera. My K10D and 16-45 lens fell out of a poorly designed bag (dumped that one in a hurry) about 4 feet to the floor. I had a B+W on....the filter absorbed the impact as the camera hit the hardwood floor...lens first. Fortunately all was ok.

It maybe an unusual event , but even though I'm very careful with my equipment...sometimes (blank) happens, as they say.... not me though...I say (blank).

I do have some lenses that are impossible/ difficult to fit protective filters on...my 10-17 fisheye, my 40 and 70 Limiteds...so I go filterless.

I also believe that if you are going to put a protective filter on, use top quality filters. Why, put cheap glass on in front of expensive glass lenses ?

I also always attach my lens hood.

The discussion of the merits of filters is one of those perennial debates in the camera world . There will always be advocates pro and con. Who is right, I do not know.
03-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #79
Pentaxian

It seems that the newer filters are just so much easier to clean than most lenses, partly due to coatins, and partly due to being flat vs. some lenses having rounded front elements. Realistically many Pentax users use lenses in rain and snow and salt spray, so it seems to make sense to default to having the filter on, and remove it for particularly sensitive situations (such as backlight.) That also covers conditions like dropping the lens in a bag without a cap, etc. The coatings on the newer filters also seem harder than all but the very latest lens coatings, so damage is much less likely to occur.

03-23-2020, 05:08 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I use nothing stronger than Palmolive dishwashing detergent.

I've always used a squeeze bottle horsehair brush to rid the lens surface of dust, etc. , then photographic lens cleaning fluid, lens cleaning paper. Does the job.

I used to use Kodak products, but haven't seen them for awhile, but now use Henry's lens cleaning fluid. Henry's is a large Canadian photo store chain.

Also finding the old style squeeze bottle horsehair brush is almost impossible to find.

I've been using this cleaning stuff for 50 + years and maybe this is why you can't find it as easily as before. Maybe this old guy (me) needs to update.