Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2020, 05:05 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sling Bag

I thought researching what camera to buy was hard, now I have tried sling bags. All my kit is in a moderate back pack (I have not be at it that long). It is inconvenient for a day in the park. I have never used my battery charger in the field. A minimal sling bag looks like an answer. Most of the "low end" ones get bad reviews from people who wait at least three months to review. Mostly, the bag does not last. I don't like to do returns so help me get it right the first time. I have a K -70. I have attached a Tamron 28-105 or a Pentax 55-300 PLM. I want to take whichever lens is not attached and a Rokinon 16mm. Beyond that are CP filters, batteries, and such. I do not take laptop, tablet, etc. It would be nice to attach a tripod but that seems to be a problem with most sling bags. Price is important but secondary to frustration.

02-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to look at a messenger bag type

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Camera-Bags-c147.html

some look like a camera bag others not so much

you may have to improvise your own padding to help protect the equipment

I have several depending on what all I am hauling
02-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have have found he Mindshift Photocross 13 quite comfortable and it holds up well. Ive had it for over a year and it is my daily driver for day hikes in mixed conditions and travel where I want to carry on my camera gear. Plenty of room for my K3ii, with the 55-300 PLM and 16-85 WR lenses (and a laptop). Even with lenses, there's still room for a filter pack and a small lunch. It comes with velcro dividers, a nice rain cover (as a supplement- the bag is already pretty weather resistant), and an ample outside pocket for cards, cables and keys. The water bottle holder might be a little small for some, but it worked for short outings.

Two downsides
-The waist strap is a bit thin and under-padded if it's really loaded down. A little mod-work could solve that if you got too annoyed.
- It's a fixed sling that goes over your left shoulder. While the padding is good and the chest and waist straps reduce the shoulder load, some might feel too much tension and wish they could switch it up. It was not an issue for me.

It sounds like you may not looking for something quite as big as the 13. They also make a Photocross 10 which would still fit lenses that you mentioned and is a bit smaller. I stuck a tripod on it with the straps that come with it once just to see how it worked. It was as good as can be expected for a small pack- the tripod straps vertically along the back and stayed on.

I'll take your suggestion and post an actual review to the review forum!

Happy Trails.
02-05-2020, 06:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lowepro Passport Sling III...
I've been using it for short hikes, photo walks around town, remote photo shoots and such for over a year and dozens of times. Previously I've used backpacks and over the shoulder bags and hadn't found just the right thing. This Lowepro Passport seems to be it. Room for cards and batteries and lens cleaners, a blower, three lenses (four if they are small ones).

For example I might have a DFA100 on camera, but carry a 50-135 along with a *200 and DA15 in the sling along with a couple of batteries, a small SD card case with 4 spares, a couple of cleaning cloths and a handfull of lens wipes, a Rocket blower, and sometimes an odd piece or two like an off-camera flash cord. The sling stows across my back out of the way, quick and easy to pull to the front, offers some degree of padding to cushion my lenses, and most of all it's comfortable.

At $40 or thereabouts it's highly recommended. Nearly 700 buyers on Amazon agree with me rating it 4.5 stars
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Passport-Sling-III-Protective/dp/B00J938IWG/r...tronics&sr=1-1

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-05-2020 at 07:55 AM.
02-05-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two sling bags that I really like. They are made by Think Tank, the Turnstyle 10 and Turnstyle 5 (smaller). They are small, so you can't be burdened by excessive weight, you know when things get heaver after you have been carrying them for a while. Also very easy to use, just slide it around and open up, not like a pack you have to remove. I have had the larger one for about three years, and the smaller one for just over two years. I use the large one most all of the time, my KP lives in it with the 55-300 or DA 20-40 mounted on it. My DA 15 is always in it, and I can carry another small prime (up to my Tamron 90 macro), or a flash. I got the smaller one as a fathers day gift, at the time I also had a Sony a6000 that I used with it. I no longer have the Sony, but I used the bag on a trip to London in October when I knew I did not want to use the 55-300, I had the KP, DA 20-40, DA15, and F50 in the bag, it was perfect, I carried it all day everywhere for a week. There is also an attached rain cover that pulls out of the bottom that I used a few times. When we got on a train or bus all I had to do was slide it around to my chest. I packed it inside of a backpack for air travel so I could take other items like an ipad, magazines, power bank, snacks,,etc on the plane too, I have also done that with the Turnstyle 10. These bags do not have a tripod carrying method, maybe they have some type of add on for that, I have not checked. They do have videos of how to use these bags on the Think Tank web site. I am very happy with them, for my use they are just right.

Here are a couple of quick cell phone photos I just took.

This is the two bags showing the sized difference, the larger one of the two is what I use mostly. ThinkTank makes a larger sized bag also:
Name:  IMG_0341.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  292.7 KB

Here is the Turnstyle 10 opened to show my gear, you can't see another divider that has four filters in cases stashed behind it:
Name:  IMG_0338.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  221.2 KB

And here is the front pocket, spare batteries etc:
Name:  IMG_0339.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  380.5 KB
02-05-2020, 07:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoffm141 Quote
I have have found he Mindshift Photocross 13 quite comfortable and it holds up well. Ive had it for over a year and it is my daily driver for day hikes in mixed conditions and travel where I want to carry on my camera gear.
I have the same bag and have used it extensively for travel and outdoor photo excursions. While there is no ideal bag for all circumstances, this bag seems to do everything the OP wants, and some things not mentioned, but probably will want. It's weather resistant with room for a water bottle. There's room for his body and three lenses, plus a little more. I find the small amount of extra room helpful so that the bag doesn't need to be re-arranged depending on which lens is on the camera.
02-05-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might also want to look at the Peak Design Everyday Sling 10L. They also make a much smaller 5L but it is probably too small to hold the extra lenses you want. I use my 10L extensively from carrying around day-to-day to going on extended trips with it. It is very well constructed, water resistant and I can configure it for different situations. It can be set up for 1,2, or 3 compartments. Normally I will have my K-3II with my DA16-85 mounted in a center compartment, and the HD DA55-300 PLM in one compartment, and another lens or two in the third. The beauty of the dividers is that they have a flap that can fold down and divide a compartment into two which is great for carrying the smaller lenses. Lately I have decided to break it down into 2 large compartments and one small one in the center. I can then have two cameras with mounted lenses and a spare lens or some filters in the center. This is great if you are in situations that you don't want to have to swap lenses. There are also a couple of zipped compartments for spare batteries, SD cards, etc. Also, when I travel and think I need a tripod, I can strap a compact tripod on the bottom with some built-in straps. Go to their website, they have excellent videos and still shots of how it works.

02-05-2020, 10:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the Pentax sling bag I got that came bundled with my K70 purchase from B & H.
02-05-2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ThinkTank Mindshift Photocross 13

I've had this since September. It's made by ThinkTank. I'm very pleased with it. Well made. Weather resistant (includes a built-in rain cover.) Comfortable over the shoulder. Multiple ways to carry. Holds a good bit more than claimed by the manufacturer. I regularly carry my K-5 with an 18-135; a 10-18 fish eye; a 35 DA Ltd; and an old favorite 50 1.7. There's a sleeve for an iPad or equivalent tablet.

PhotoCross 13 - best outdoor weatherproof camera photography sling bag ? Think Tank Photo
02-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Lowepro Photo Sport series

I have a very good experience with Lowepro Photo Sport bags. Very very lightweight and very durable!
02-05-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
for those recommending specific types

please consider adding to or starting a review of the product here

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Accessory Reviews » Bags and Cases

Backpacks

Camera Bags

Lens Cases

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

it could be very helpful to visitors and other members

thanks for thinking about it
02-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Lowepro Passport Sling III...
I've been using it for short hikes, photo walks around town, remote photo shoots and such for over a year and dozens of times. Previously I've used backpacks and over the shoulder bags and hadn't found just the right thing. This Lowepro Passport seems to be it. Room for cards and batteries and lens cleaners, a blower, three lenses (four if they are small ones).

For example I might have a DFA100 on camera, but carry a 50-135 along with a *200 and DA15 in the sling along with a couple of batteries, a small SD card case with 4 spares, a couple of cleaning cloths and a handfull of lens wipes, a Rocket blower, and sometimes an odd piece or two like an off-camera flash cord. The sling stows across my back out of the way, quick and easy to pull to the front, offers some degree of padding to cushion my lenses, and most of all it's comfortable.

At $40 or thereabouts it's highly recommended. Nearly 700 buyers on Amazon agree with me rating it 4.5 stars
amazon.com : Lowepro Passport Sling III - A Protective Sling Bag for a Compact DSLR or CSC : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I agree completely with this one. I have a Lowepro Passport I and II. Both get used almost daily, certainly several times per week.

Last outing, I had my K3II with the 12-24mm, the 15mm in a separate slot, and my K5IIS in the "back" (unzipped for more space) in a padded wrap for more protection with the 31mm LTD on it. AND, the 20-40mm LTD in a soft padded case. When I unzip the rear area for more space, I typically add one camera wrap on the bottom, then everything in it's own padded case.

The front easily would hold what you're talking about and there's always room for expansion.

These are very easy to use in the field with a top zipper for quick access to a second camera or another lens. Worn cross-body style, they are comfortable for longer hikes and longer events. It isn't huge, but it isn't tiny. And being very flexible, it conforms more to your body than a rigid squarish bag.

Here's the camera wrap/lens wrap idea: Save Storage Space with Camera Wraps and Inserts | B&H Explora
02-05-2020, 03:36 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I am using Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L

it is a sealed bag. It can take 3 primes or 3 small zooms. something like 3 of DA 10-17. or 1 - 2 larger zoom. Reasonable price and I think the materials they use make it looks more expensive than its price. I usually use it as a waist bag when take photo. it is easier to change lenses.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 02-05-2020 at 03:47 PM.
02-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I still love and regularly use a Lowepro Slingshot AW202. It's superseded now, but it's great for a simple APS-C kit, and I also use it for my FF if not packing the 70-200 or 150-450. Even the 15-30 fits (just).
02-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I think you've gotten some great suggestions.

For my part, I've reviewed many camera bags, including several slings. I've owned or handled more. My two recommendations are

The Mindshift Gear Photocross (see here the review of the 13, there is also a 10 which should fit your kit).

The Peak Design slings. Here is a review of the previous version in 10 liters. They recently updated their lineup with a 3 liters (too small for you, a 6 liters (probably ideal) and a 10 liters. There are some differences but my review should help figure out the basics and the ethos of the brand.

I like the Photocross for the level of comfort, the ruggedness, the wide strap. I like the Peak Design for the dividers, the ability to use a capture, the harder shell (keeps its shape and looks better) and the small details which Peak Design usually gets right.

I've heard good things about the Think Tank slings, never tested them. Lowepro make good bags, rarely breathtaking in my experience but no-nonsense and cheaper usually.