Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K7 Memory Card

What kind of memory cards work in the K7 and how big can they go?

I just got a sandisk 64GB SDXH UHS-l card and I am guessing it is too new for the camera....

Thanks!

02-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jdiritto Quote
What kind of memory cards work in the K7 and how big can they go?

I just got a sandisk 64GB SDXH UHS-l card and I am guessing it is too new for the camera....

Thanks!
According to the Pentax Forum Camera Review page for the K7.... Firmware version 1.11 supports SDXC memory cards.
So, please check your firmware version.
02-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
32 GB, but can handle SDXC with a firmware update.
Pentax K-7 - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
02-10-2020, 04:31 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the longer answer
QuoteQuote:
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Become a memory card expert
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Jul 1, 2016
Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers
Ever since the debut of the *ist DS in 2004, Pentax DSLRs and compact cameras have used SD (Secure Digital) memory cards as their primary storage medium. Because SD cards are subject to a continuously-evolving set of standards, we'd like to take this opportunity to shed some light on SD nomenclature and card types. In addition, we will make recommendations to ensure that the card you pair with your camera delivers optimal performance.

By the time you finish reading this article, you'll be a SD memory card expert!. . .

Read more at: Comprehensive SD Card Guide for Photographers - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

02-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
not sure I want to be a SD Memory card expert... It would be cool if the cheap SDXC 64gb card worked... i'm using old 8gb cards with 1/3 the speed apparently...

Going for a trip this spring and planning to leave the laptop at home so I can't offload photos/videos as needed

firmware is 1.03...probably not helping

Also, thanks for rapid responses about an old camera
02-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Going for a trip this spring and planning to leave the laptop at home so I can't offload photos/videos as needed . . .
you might want to check these out if you won't have the lap top

this one takes a while to watch

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-10-2020 at 04:49 PM.
02-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
not sure I want to be a SD Memory card expert... It would be cool if the cheap SDXC 64gb card worked... i'm using old 8gb cards with 1/3 the speed apparently...

Going for a trip this spring and planning to leave the laptop at home so I can't offload photos/videos as needed

firmware is 1.03...probably not helping

Also, thanks for rapid responses about an old camera
You can go to the Ricoh website and download firmware version 1.13 for your K7. The firmware lists says it supports 32Gb and higher SDXC memory cards.

Latest K-7 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #8
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was going to pick up some 64GB cards for my K-7, but ended up going with a pair of 32GB cards instead. With the K-7, you're not really going to see the speeds that the cards can do, and i figured I'd just save a few bucks and get the smaller ones. Encourages me to backup my photos more often as well, though I've yet to fill a card even after shooting for a couple of days that included a Cub Scout overnighter.
02-10-2020, 05:40 PM   #9

Original Poster
64gb card worked with new firmware! Thanks for all the help

QuoteOriginally posted by Gorgarath Quote
I was going to pick up some 64GB cards for my K-7, but ended up going with a pair of 32GB cards instead. With the K-7, you're not really going to see the speeds that the cards can do, and i figured I'd just save a few bucks and get the smaller ones. Encourages me to backup my photos more often as well, though I've yet to fill a card even after shooting for a couple of days that included a Cub Scout overnighter.

yea, its crazy that this new 170mb/s 64GB card was $20 when according to amazon about a decade I got two 30mb/s 8GB cards for $50 each