Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 11:24 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Battery grip D BG6 for pentax K-1.....are there alternatives

Is there an alternative for the expensive D BG6 battery grip? Maybe a third party like there is for the D BG4?
Or is there another way to use pen lights in your K-1?

02-16-2020, 01:21 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Google is my friend and so is eBay and they tell me that if there is a third party option, they don't sell on the Internet. That being said, my experience fielding troubleshooting requests on this forum suggests that third-party grips are only a good idea if:
  • One does not mind having hard to diagnose power-related issues from poor connections
  • One does not need water/dust seals
  • One does not care if the grip actually works as other than a hand-hold
One of the first questions we ask if the problem relates to shutter release, camera on/off, or bizarre behavior is whether they are using a grip and if so, whether the grip is genuine Pentax. That is usually followed up with questions about battery quality, particularly AA penlight batteries or cheap D-Li90 clones.* The take-away is that there is no way to get away cheaply in regards to power.

Steve

* I use a mix of third-party D-Li90 on my K-3, but always established brands.
02-16-2020, 02:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
I also googled but couldn,t find any.
And i also use third party batteries, but the original pentax battery is getting worse now. I never experienced that with original batteries on my older cameras.
Btw. What 3rd party lithiums do you use?
02-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hansenn Quote
What 3rd party lithiums do you use?
Wasabi with good results over about a decade. A year or so ago I bought a few DSTE, but have not been impressed; they don't seem to have the capacity of the Wasabi or Pentax.

Steve

02-17-2020, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

@hansenn, you have a moral obligation to buy the original Pentax grip and it is better for all of us in the long term:

- The original Pentax grips are reasonably priced if you think about the cost of research and development.
- If you buy a 3rd party grip you deprive Pentax from a return on their investment. Or in other words the 3rd party manufacturers are parasites earning money on products developed by someone else.
- The 3rd party grips are also low cost because they are assembled by workers who are mostly underpaid and treated as slaves.
- The 3rd party grips are usually less reliable because corners are cut in the production and the original specifications are not met. By that you run the risk damaging your camera.

If you can afford to buy a K1 camera you can certainly pay the difference between an original grip and a 3rd party grip, and deep in your hart you don't want a cheap looking and badly fitting grip on your beautiful new Pentax camera, don't you?
02-17-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there an alternative for the expensive D BG6 battery grip? Maybe a third party like there is for the D BG4?
Or is there another way to use pen lights in your K-1?
The new OEM ones go for $199 at adorama and B&H photo... right now theres 2 used ones at Adorama for $169.00. $30 saved.

al
02-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Google is my friend and so is eBay and they tell me that if there is a third party option, they don't sell on the Internet. That being said, my experience fielding troubleshooting requests on this forum suggests that third-party grips are only a good idea if:
  • One does not mind having hard to diagnose power-related issues from poor connections
  • One does not need water/dust seals
  • One does not care if the grip actually works as other than a hand-hold
One of the first questions we ask if the problem relates to shutter release, camera on/off, or bizarre behavior is whether they are using a grip and if so, whether the grip is genuine Pentax. That is usually followed up with questions about battery quality, particularly AA penlight batteries or cheap D-Li90 clones.* The take-away is that there is no way to get away cheaply in regards to power.

Steve

* I use a mix of third-party D-Li90 on my K-3, but always established brands.
I own an original grip for the k3-ii and a thirdparty one (forgot the grip on a long trip and therefore got the cheap one).
The Pentax one is build better, but in functionality the cheap one does work perfectly for me.
02-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
The new OEM ones go for $199 at adorama and B&H photo... right now theres 2 used ones at Adorama for $169.00. $30 saved.

al
OP is in the Netherlands...

Steve

02-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
OP is in the Netherlands...

Steve
ah well.. I missed that, maybe the OP can find one used in their area.

al
02-17-2020, 04:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
ah well.. I missed that, maybe the OP can find one used in their area.

al
I just found one, although they are really scarce here.
new, original and unused for 125,-

I got some Patona 3rd party batteries, but they aren't really holding their power in cold weather. And as I,m going to Lapland next week trying to capture some aurora activity, I definitely need enough power.

@ Kobayashi.K: you're right about 3rd party grips, but do you know that the pentax grip also is produced in the Philippines? Just like the K-1
02-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just found one, although they are really scarce here.
new, original and unused for €125,-

I got some Patona 3rd party batteries, but they aren't really holding their power in cold weather. And as I,m going to Lapland next week trying to capture some aurora activity, I definitely need enough power.

@ Kobayashi.K: you're right about 3rd party grips, but do you know that the pentax grip also is produced in the Philippines? Just like the K-1

Glad you found one! On the cold issue best you can do with the cold is keep the batteries near you until you need them and swap them often.Inner Pockets work wonders.

Like Steve mentioned the wasabi can be pretty good..I also have not been impressed with the dste ..The oem batteries are really my go to.. they cost alot but last the best for me.

The AA battery tray is a good option to have as well. AA like enelop are rechargeable and hold a charge well.

Be sure to invest in a small car inverter.. You can then take your charger with you and keep the batteries topped off until needed and can swap out drained ones

Enjoy the trip!

AL

Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-17-2020 at 09:29 PM.
02-18-2020, 05:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

...you're right about 3rd party grips, but do you know that the pentax grip also is produced in the Philippines? Just like the K-1
The Philippines is a renown site actually. I hinted at other locations (not politically correct to name them).
Goede reis naar Lapland.
02-18-2020, 05:29 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . And as I,m going to Lapland next week trying to capture some aurora activity, I definitely need enough power.
. . .
suggestion if you have more than 2 batteries

keep the selection on grip first, then body

and replace the battery in grip as needed [ a lot easier and quicker ]

that leaves the battery in the body as an emergency back up
02-18-2020, 05:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips.
Hope i can also play some with the astro tracer function on the K-1.
Lapland is one of the very few places in europe where the nights are really dark.

Dark Site Finder – Light Pollution Maps