Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #1

Chest harness suggestion that is compatible with tripod mounting

I have a Nicad chest harness that I use with my K-70, and it works well for hiking and nature walks. I prefer the chest harness style keeping the camera up front, compared to a belt/holster style that can get in the way while hiking (both with the swaying and with the belt straps from my hiking pack - I'm also short).

BUT, the Nicad uses an adapter that mounts to the K-70's tripod thread. So if I want to use the body on a tripod, I have to remove the Nicad mounting "plate" each time. A real pain in the field.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a chest/vest style holder that is also tripod compatible?

02-17-2020, 10:16 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thunderknight Quote
I have a Nicad chest harness that I use with my K-70, and it works well for hiking and nature walks. I prefer the chest harness style keeping the camera up front, compared to a belt/holster style that can get in the way while hiking (both with the swaying and with the belt straps from my hiking pack - I'm also short).

BUT, the Nicad uses an adapter that mounts to the K-70's tripod thread. So if I want to use the body on a tripod, I have to remove the Nicad mounting "plate" each time. A real pain in the field.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a chest/vest style holder that is also tripod compatible?
I had a similar issue with a shoulder/chest sling that I sometimes use. My tripod uses Bogen/Manfrotto style plates so I put a similar male and female assembly on the sling and can now switch over directly.
The one I bought was a fairly cheap third party knockoff from Amazon.. It worked well once I cycled the mechanism several dozen times to get the kinks out.
02-17-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Does anyone have any suggestions on a chest/vest style holder
Have you looked at the Peak Design Capture?

Capture Camera Clip | Peak Design Official Site

It could work instead of a chest harness. Has Arca or Manfrotto plates available.

I do have a Cotton Carrier 124RTL-D camera vest, but have found it awkward to wear and too restrictive sometimes. I prefer the Capture clipped onto a backpack strap.

Last edited by rawr; 02-17-2020 at 10:38 AM.
02-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came up with a DIY solution for hiking with my K70 that works really well for me. I found a women's purse/shoulder bag with a long nylon strap (about 60"-65") that had small snaps on each end and a length adjuster at a thrift store. I took the rings off a couple of small key chains (about 3/8" - 1/2" diameter) and attached them to the strap lugs on the camera leaving the normal camera neck strap in place. I attached the center of the purse strap to the handle on the top of my backpack allowing it to slide, then threaded the ends thru the load lifters over the top, then underneath the loops on the front of the shoulder straps. I put the back pack on, hang the camera over my neck with the normal camera strap, attach the snaps each on end of the purse strap to the key rings on the camera lugs, then adjust the purse strap length to take all weight off my neck. This puts all the camera weight on my shoulders and hips (mostly hips with properly adjusted backpack). I leave the normal camera strap on just for safety. This puts the camera about mid chest level on the front, allows enough slack to bring it up to eye level, and lets me leave the tripod plate attached to the camera. This also holds the camera fairly secured to my body with every little sway or movement. If I want to take the camera off for some reason (mount to tripod) I just need to unsnap the purse strap snaps from the camera lugs and slip the normal camera strap over my head, leaving the backpack on, or I can take the backpack off. This sounds complicated but it's not. It's really simple. This setup has worked really well for me and I've hiked many, many miles this way. Total cost was less than $5.00.

02-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I came up with a DIY solution
Great solution.

Am I right in thinking that your solution works similar to this?:

Camera Support Straps V2.0 ? Think Tank Photo
02-17-2020, 04:17 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Great solution.

Am I right in thinking that your solution works similar to this?:

Camera Support Straps V2.0 ? Think Tank Photo

Yes, along those same lines. On my setup, the camera probably has a little more freedom of movement. My goal was not so much to tightly secure the camera, it was to get the camera weight off my neck still be readily available. It also helps counter the weight of the backpack giving me a more front/back evenly distributed load. Here's a couple of quick pics I made of it.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
02-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

On my setup, the camera probably has a little more freedom of movement.
Very handy to see how your solution looks. Thanks.

02-18-2020, 06:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

The obvious solution, as someone else pointed out, would be the Peak Design Capture Clip. For me, it's been an eye-opener. I rarely, if ever, use a strap nowadays.

I wrote an in-depth review of it here (alongside the Peak Design strap). Note that there is a new version of the Capture Clip, smaller footprint and slightly easier to use.

Peak Design Slide Strap and Capture Clip System Review - Capture Clip | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-19-2020, 04:37 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have you looked at the Peak Design Capture?
I had not heard of that before. It does look like it would fit the bill. My only concern is the weight of the camera being on one strap (one side), how that would feel after a couple of hours.

I came up with a DIY solution for hiking with my K70 that works really well for me.
I like it! I already have key ring loops on my camera (I put them on for quick attachment and removal of the neck strap and Nicad safety strap).

Does it get in the way at all of putting on and removing the pack itself?

Thanks all!
02-19-2020, 06:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had not heard of that before. It does look like it would fit the bill. My only concern is the weight of the camera being on one strap (one side), how that would feel after a couple of hours.
I've used the Capture for several years now. With a very large lens it can get heavy on a shoulder strap, but for something like a K-1 with 28-105 there's no problem. And for heavier lenses the company sells the Pro Pad, a simple accessory which distributes the weight better.

Third party like Think Tank also makes accessories made for Capture (though for the belt, not the shoulder strap):

Think Tank Modular Belt System Review - Camera Clip Adapter | PentaxForums.com Reviews