Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-LI90 make date

Li-Ion batteries are known to age even when not used (storage).
Is there a way to know what's the current make date for D-LI90 batteries?
Where to buy to get D-LI90 batteries from the newest production batch?
Would Ricoh web shop have batteries from the latest production batch?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-22-2020 at 12:03 AM.
02-22-2020, 03:22 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If its a genuine Pentax battery there is a date printed on the battery (as year and month e.g. 201912 - which is December 2019).

Not sure about buying new ones but from my experience the battery that comes with your camera is a few months older than the camera.

I don't think you will be able to purchase a battery from a late batch online but you might be able to see the date if buying in a bricks and mortar shop.

That said, if the battery has been stored properly (left charged at say between 40% and 70%), which I imagine Pentax will always do, the aging is a lot slower than in typical use (where they often get charged to 100%). So does not really matter if the new battery is say 6 months old.
02-22-2020, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

All lithium batteries regardless of whether they are Pentax or not originally will charge to 100% capacity then over time settle in at around 80% capacity as a full charge. State of charge for storage with lithium doesn't matter. You could shelf a fully charged lithium battery for a year, pick it up and it would still have a greater than 80% charge on it. The life expectancy on most of the Li-ion batteries with constant recharging is around 3 years but can last longer.
02-24-2020, 02:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
If its a genuine Pentax battery there is a date printed on the battery (as year and month e.g. 201912 - which is December 2019).
Yes thanks for feedback. In 2018, I've order a new battery and order a new camera. The new battery ordered alone has a date code 10 months older than the purchase date. The new battery included with the new camera has a date code 5 months older than the date of the purchase order. It's good to know. That means if I order batteries now , they'll be from a first half 2019 batch.