Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2020, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #1

MeFoto Backpacker Air mini review

l got this from B&H about 2 weeks ago. Since l have not had a chance to do an actual shoot with it, l'm calling this a mini review. When the weather warms up a little and the days get a little longer(l work nights and sleep most of the day), l'll try it out and finish the review.

The good news is that it is very small and lightweight. But it's flimsy. lf l had paid full price, l would probably have sent it back for refund. Since it was on sale, l'll keep it, why not :-) l tried it with the Canon M50, Canon M-Canon EF adapter, Canon 18-135 STM, and an L bracket, a setup that weighs 1,113 grams. Normally that would be too heavy for this tripod IMO. But since you can mount the L bracket to the lens adapter, it balances very well. lf you lower the center column about 2 inches, it increases stability greatly(see photo). This yields a height of about 40 inches. Since my M50 has the articulating screen, l don't have to lower my head too much if l use live view. The twist lock on the legs has to be tightened very tight to prevent the legs from retracting. l mean tight enough to feel like you're going to break something!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
02-22-2020, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Don't extend the center column!! When extended, it's about as wobbly as a drunk walking on a windy night. And the most annoying thing about it-when you pan the ball head counter clockwise, it ALWAYS loosens the lock on the center column extensions. Since l never plan on extending it, it's going to get glued "shut".
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
02-22-2020, 04:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Compared to the original Backpacker, it's 1 3/4 inches shorter when folded. And lighter-870g vs 1150g. Conclusion:Who's it for? Someone who absoultely needs the lightest and smallest tripod. it's good for smartphones and small point and shoot, or a very lightweight mirrorless setup. lt does come with a smartphone mount and bluetooth remote for phones, which l won't be using. Will l use it much? Probably not. Only when l'm using the Canon M50 and a light lens. ls it rugged and stable?-no way. Would l take it on a once in a lifetime overseas vacation? No because l'm afraid something on it would break on it and leave me tripodless. The original Backpacker is much more rugged-l'd trust that one. Do l wish my other tripods had that super cool paint job? You bet! lt's the coolest looking tripod l've ever seen.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D40  Photo 
02-22-2020, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very nice review

thanks

02-22-2020, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've got three MeFoto tripods, two are very good, the third is the backpacker air, which fortunately only cost $29 (and it was a gift). It's definitely not up to the standards of other MeFoto tripods. At the time I had a little Sony a6000, and that was an overload. I'll have to get it out and try it again with nothing extended, may use for a tabletop,