Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2020, 08:12 AM   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax Bellows - what's the 49 adapter look like?

Hello all!

I received a very cool piece of kit a couple days ago - Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows K Set!

Received these bellows with a bunch of other equipment in a big box..
It came with the original box, packaging, and accessories (release and scales).
However, the box has a sticker on it that says 'w/49Adapter' and I do not believe it came with that..
What does that piece look like?
I imagine that since a screw mount lens is m42 that this adapter it's referring to is not for m42 lenses, but maybe it's for reverse mounting a lens with a 49mm filter thread?
Is that right?
Again, I'm curious what that piece looks like as I could have simply misplaced the adapter among the other gear..
Not sure if I'm going to keep the bellows or if I'm going to sell it and I'd like the kit to be complete.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
03-05-2020, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you google "w/49mm adapter pentax bellows" you can see there are some pictures that show another silver piece of equipment. I believe it is a reversing ring as you suggest.
03-05-2020, 08:38 AM   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
If you google
Thanks for the comment, but telling me to google it that doesn't really help me.
Yes, I have tried looking up pictures of the adapter, but have come up with inconsistent results - that's why I turned to this forum.

Example below shows two different rings.. one is not related to bellows, I think. And the other is for m42 mount while my bellows are k mount.

Does anyone know for sure which adapter came with this set? Is it just a generic k-mount to 49 filter adapter?
Attached Images

03-05-2020, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty sure it's a reverse adapter 49/52mm as per the lower circled item for greater magnification. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Ordered one a few days ago from eBay but hasn't arrived yet - £8 Inc p&p

03-05-2020, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a set of those bellows new many years ago and I don't remember any kind of adapter coming with it. Of course, I also don't remember exactly what my box said, so this is probably no help whatsoever. Great bellows, though.

---------- Post added 03-05-2020 at 01:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
Pretty sure it's a reverse adapter 49/52mm as per the lower circled item for greater magnification.
After I posted my other reply, I started thinking a bit more about it and I'd bet you're right. Most Pentax primes back then took either 49mm or 52mm filters. If it fits 49mm, then it would stand to reason that it might be some sort of reversing ring.
03-05-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PENTAX Reverse Adapter K reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Is the adapter on the reverse side of the (pictured in post #1) bellows?

Last edited by whammerhead; 03-05-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: addon
03-05-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by whammerhead Quote
Is the adapter on the reverse side of the (pictured in post #1) bellows?
Very nice link! I haven't seen this one before..
I don't think I have this adapter then as the bellows appear to have K mount on both sides...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 7  Photo 
03-05-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the M series bellows, if I remember correctly, if you reverse the front bellows support you can use the ring on the "inside" of the bellows to mount the lens in reverse when using very close focusing distances, perhaps check out the manual for more info.
03-05-2020, 11:12 AM - 2 Likes   #9

It's just a thin step up/down ring screwed into the back of the front standard. Loosen the the thumb screw on the front standard and pull the bellows back. The adapter should be there.

Put this on your 49mm filter lenses when you want to reverse the standard. The user manual can be found online that shows how this works.
03-05-2020, 11:36 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's just a thin step up/down ring screwed into the back of the front standard. Loosen the the thumb screw on the front standard and pull the bellows back. The adapter should be there.
This is perfect @Not a Number; I really appreciate it!
03-05-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may find the following site useful: Extreme Macro Photography
Manual available at ManualsLib - Makes it easy to find manuals online!
03-05-2020, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Put this on your 49mm filter lenses when you want to reverse the standard. The user manual can be found online that shows how this works.
Yay! Mystery solved!

Steve
03-05-2020, 07:34 PM   #13
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Put this on your 49mm filter lenses when you want to reverse the standard.
Just doubled check and you're exactly right.

The adapter sort of stows away when using regular scaling. It might provide a little bit of extra landing pad for the bellows to tighten onto, but is not crucial as there is a ledge on the inside for the pin to ride on.
When reversing the scaling, the whole front panel is reverse and the lens' 49mm filter is not big enough for the bellows to hang onto. The pin will tighten all the way and it won't grip.
Removing the adapter and screwing it into the lens threads allows a lip large enough for the bellows to bite down on.

Thanks again!

Last edited by FozzFoster; 03-06-2020 at 07:16 AM.
03-05-2020, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #14

The ring on the bellows is 52mm so you need the 49mm to 52mm step up ring adapter to attach the bellows to a reversed 49mm filter lens. If the reversed lens uses 52mm diameter filter naturally the adapter is not needed.

My Minolta bellows defaults to 55mm and uses a 49mm to 55mm step up ring but Minolta wasn't clever enough to store the ring on bellows as Pentax does.

The magnetically held magnification scales on the Pentax bellows are quite clever too and solve the problem of zeroing when the back plane is not at the end. The only problem is the scale can stick out in the front and hit the subject being photographed. A+ for cleverness in design, D- for oopsie in actual use.
03-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #15
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The ring on the bellows is 52mm
In my set, it defaults to a 49mm (even says on the box). I tested it out yesterday and all worked great!

And thank you for your insight with the magnetic scales too! I didn't even appreciate that the there would be a problem when the back plane is not at the end.
Thank you for sharing your experience!