Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Asahi-pentax-repronar ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

What's this on ebay? Is that some early Pentax SLR in there?

ASAHI PENTAX REPRONAR 805/113000 | eBay

03-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
What's this on ebay? Is that some early Pentax SLR in there?

ASAHI PENTAX REPRONAR 805/113000 | eBay

Yeah I've seen these (and other similar items) before and they were listed in the 1960's & 70's Pentax Accessories books.

This one looks like a variation of a copy stand, for duping slides.

Phil.
03-12-2020, 09:40 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah I've seen these (and other similar items) before and they were listed in the 1960's & 70's Pentax Accessories books.

This one looks like a variation of a copy stand, for duping slides.

Phil.
The stand is one thing, but did you click through for a gander at the (Honeywell-branded) camera?

Steve
03-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The stand is one thing, but did you click through for a gander at the (Honeywell-branded) camera?

Steve
Yeah the camera was not included in these various copy stands. Most copy stands have a macro focus rail and you could attach any camera to it. My Pentax copy stand, that comes in a wooden box, has the focus rail as well.

Phil.

PS I love some of the stuff that Pacific Rim Cameras get in,one of my favorite places to look for gear!

03-12-2020, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah the camera was not included in these various copy stands. Most copy stands have a macro focus rail and you could attach any camera to it. My Pentax copy stand, that comes in a wooden box, has the focus rail as well.

Phil.

PS I love some of the stuff that Pacific Rim Cameras get in,one of my favorite places to look for gear!
I did not even notice that it is a Pacific Rim auction. I have bought several things from them over the years (cases and small accessories), though usually through their Web site. They do have quite a bit of esoterica.

Steve
03-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I wondered if anyone could identify the camera or explain the Reponar lens.

I've looked at some pictures of old Pentaxes and reckon that could be one of the H or S-series (the same) c1960; however it appears to be fitted with what would be a waist level finder (If it were not on the copy stand). Did any S-series ever have interchangeable viewfinders or is this a heavily modified body? The lens is engraved as a Reponar - sounds like a macro lens designed for copying - was that a Pentax lens or something else? Being on a bellows it could have been made by anybody I suppose.

Honeywell were a company who handled Asahi-Pentax's business in the USA at that time and they added their branding to the cameras. I believe that is what the "H" series meant - it was the S-series in the rest of the world.

Last edited by Lord Lucan; 03-12-2020 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Tpyo
03-12-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Honeywell were a company who handled Asahi-Pentax's business in the USA at that time and they added their branding to the cameras.
They also had products other than from Asahi-Pentax. The Repronar base/column/bellows/lens is Honeywell product, I am pretty sure. The body appears to be a heavily-modified S-series Pentax. The cover on the exposure counter is identical to that on my SV. These slide-copier setups are fairly common on eBay. I wonder how easily they might be modified to mount a digital camera?

More info:

https://whitemetal.com/pentax/repronar/index.htm

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-12-2020 at 01:49 PM.
03-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a set of slides from 50+ years ago, that came my way while in the Navy on board ship that we were decommissioning for modernization. I pulled them out a couple of years ago and sent them off to be digitally copied, and the results were OK, but I was actually hoping for better (they were flat, shadows yielded no detail and post processing didn't improve them at all). I've been toying with the idea of possibly trying it myself with the K1 using Pixel Shift or even bracketing - but I haven't been convinced that the results would be any better.

Anyone have some experience?

Anyway, an interesting bit of equipment....

03-12-2020, 03:48 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Anyone have some experience?
There are several members here at PF that use a dSLR for digitizing 35mm slides and negatives. Common setups include:
  • Combined bellows/slide copier
  • Copy stand + bellows
  • Copy stand + macro lens
  • Tripod (column inverted) + bellows or macro lens
  • DIY jigs
There are threads on the subject in the processing/darkroom/scanning sub-forum:
Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com
There may also be a few threads on the film slr sub-forum:
Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
Those that do it are very fond of the technique.

Steve
03-12-2020, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

There are several members here at PF that use a dSLR for digitizing 35mm slides and negatives. Common setups include:
  • Combined bellows/slide copier
  • Copy stand + bellows
  • Copy stand + macro lens
  • Tripod (column inverted) + bellows or macro lens
  • DIY jigs
There are threads on the subject in the processing/darkroom/scanning sub-forum:
Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com
There may also be a few threads on the film slr sub-forum:
Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com
Those that do it are very fond of the technique.

Steve
Sometimes I think anything I don't know, Steve knows.