Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
General availability of the Peak Design travel tripod on April 7th

The Peak Design Travel Tripod has been a long time coming... Its kickstarter campaign launched 10 months ago. All backers have now received their tripods, but general availability was still an unknown. I've been told that the tripod will be available from all major retailers, as well as the company's website, on April 7th.

I for one look forward to testing and reviewing this tripod which wants to go head-to-head with the best out there. It will be interesting to compare it with the popular Sirui T-025X. The unique design of the PD tripod certainly makes me curious.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm one of those backers. It really is a clever tripod. Love to see it (particularly the carbon fiber version) tested next to some the other lightweight compact tripods out there, the Sirui being one of them. I have an older Promaster equivalent to their current XC-M 525 model. I haven't had a lot of time to use the new Peak Design tripod, but as the Promaster is now and old travel friend, I can see many pluses with the Peak Design model, and perhaps a minus or two.

I also will add the packaging on the Peak Design model is, well..., unique.
6 Days Ago   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I'm one of those backers. It really is a clever tripod. Love to see it (particularly the carbon fiber version) tested next to some the other lightweight compact tripods out there, the Sirui being one of them. I have an older Promaster equivalent to their current XC-M 525 model. I haven't had a lot of time to use the new Peak Design tripod, but as the Promaster is now and old travel friend, I can see many pluses with the Peak Design model, and perhaps a minus or two.
I'll be able to compare with the Sirui, features-wise. Regarding stability I do perform some tests, but I don't (nor does anyone I've seen, except for the guy at The Center Column) have the equipment to perform variation and torque / moment of inertia tests.

I also will add the packaging on the Peak Design model is, well..., unique.
The box? Or the case?
6 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I for one look forward to testing and reviewing this tripod which wants to go head-to-head with the best out there. It will be interesting to compare it with the popular Sirui T-025X. The unique design of the PD tripod certainly makes me curious.
I'm very curious about this tripod. In fact inclined to buy one. Do you know if you will be reviewing aluminum or carbon fiber version? Look forward to your review.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a pic of the case I'm talking about. The tripod is then wrapped in a fabric case. Very nice really. Oh, and please ignore my floor display!
Attached Images

5 Days Ago   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
I'm very curious about this tripod. In fact inclined to buy one. Do you know if you will be reviewing aluminum or carbon fiber version? Look forward to your review.
Carbon. It's making rounds across Canada for the moment, Canada Post took quite a convoluted route. I'll be able to give you a short opinion faster earlier than the publication of the eventual review.

Here is a pic of the case I'm talking about. The tripod is then wrapped in a fabric case. Very nice really.
Yep, I had seen that box. Didn't know if you referred to something else.
1 Day Ago   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just received the tripod today, it's as well made as I expected, and operation is certainly a departure from the classical approach. It's a bit heavier than expected, but not heavy at all. The Sirui T-025X has me spoiled, but the PD is supposed to be stronger.

I'll begin testing soon!