Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 08:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1

External mobile power supply 8.3v

Corona time meaning time for projects that have been on hold for a long time....

I've found a battery pack (Trustfire Mobile Power Box) which holds 6x exchangeable 18650 cells. The output is exactly 8.36 volt. It also has a usb output.
(I connect a red usb light for night shooting)

I took the (Ex-pro) AC to DC converter with Pentax DC plug, cut the 8.3 volt lead in half, soldered female and male DC plugs on both ends.
This way I can use the lead on the AC adapter and on the battery pack to power my Pentax. (Couldn't find the Pentax DC plug in Europe).
I can also charge the battery pack with the same AC adapter

A lot of juice in those 18650 cells meaning long continuous shooting with my K3,KP or K1 !!

Last edited by Haenzel; 04-08-2020 at 01:33 PM.
04-08-2020, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
I fount the separate connector in an older topic on this forum.

https://uk.farnell.com/hrs-hirose/mq172-3sa-cv-50/plug-i-o-3way/dp/1518737
04-08-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Haenzel Quote
Corona time meaning time for projects that have been on hold for a long time....

I've found a battery pack (Trustfire Mobile Power Box) which holds 6x exchangeable 18650 cells. The output is exactly 8.36 volt. It also has a usb output.

I took the (Expro) AC to DC converter, cut the 8.3 volt lead in half, soldered female and male DC plugs on both ends.
This way I can use the lead on the AC adapter and on the battery pack. (Couldn't find the Pentax DC plug in Europe).

A lot of juice in those 18650 cells meaning long continuous shooting with my K3,KP or K1 !!
I use this one ... Omni-20 - | Power bank with wireless charging and direct DC Input/Output plus Pentax camera compatible power supply. Maybe some day I'll tinker a cable with fitting plugs (if I can get them somewhere) that directly connects omni-20 via adjustable DC-Output with Pentax cameras.
04-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote

I noticed that page as well, however it says "no longer manufactured"

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
I use this one ... Omni-20 - | Power bank with wireless charging and direct DC Input/Output plus Pentax camera compatible power supply. Maybe some day I'll tinker a cable with fitting plugs (if I can get them somewhere) that directly connects omni-20 via adjustable DC-Output with Pentax cameras.
I made my post a bit clearer. The Expo AC adapter has got a Pentax DC plug. So I'm using that lead...The Powerbox comes at a price of only USD 12,=.

The Omni-20 is a really nice powerbank but for me a bit too pricy... (I'm dutch...)

04-09-2020, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #5

I noticed that page as well, however it says "no longer manufactured"

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 01:31 PM ----------

But we have a part number: MQ172-3SA-CV(50)

And a short searching with google took me to Kynix

MQ172-3SA-CV(50) - Hirose Electric Co Ltd - Rectangular Connectors - Free Hanging, Panel Mount - Kynix Semiconductor

And at this moment they have 2437 pieces on stock
04-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #6

Original Poster
But we have a part number: MQ172-3SA-CV(50)

And a short searching with google took me to Kynix

MQ172-3SA-CV(50) - Hirose Electric Co Ltd - Rectangular Connectors - Free Hanging, Panel Mount - Kynix Semiconductor

And at this moment they have 2437 pieces on stock
I know....I can Duckduckgo as well
I said I couldn't find it in Europe. There is a Corona crisis at the moment. How long will it take for this part to arrive in the Netherlands?

I just made use of an already available plug, however it was attached to the Ex-pro AC adapter...
04-11-2020, 12:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

This way I can use the lead on the AC adapter and on the battery pack to power my Pentax. (Couldn't find the Pentax DC plug in Europe).

Thats right, and if Haenzel would've searched the forum before creating another redundant thread, he could've find six already existing threads containing "MQ172-3SA-CV(50)":
External mobile power supply 8.3v - PentaxForums.com
External power - PentaxForums.com
Pentax AC Adaptor Kit K-AC50U - PentaxForums.com
D-AC50 power adapter cheap replacement - PentaxForums.com
Battery Life whilst using Remote Assist - PentaxForums.com
External power supply - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-AC50 AC Adapter Kit help... - PentaxForums.com
Lantern battery for DC input - PentaxForums.com
Cold, cold batteries = headache (help?) - PentaxForums.com

External power source projects are also discussed here:
K-1 power supply for UK - PentaxForums.com
12 VDC power adapter for K-1 - PentaxForums.com
External power - PentaxForums.com
AC adapter D-AC 50 - PentaxForums.com
D AC76 adapter - PentaxForums.com
Can anyone recommend a source for a spare K-BC90 charger ? - PentaxForums.com

I said I couldn't find it in Europe.

How long will it take for this part to arrive in the Netherlands?
I just made use of an already available plug, however it was attached to the Ex-pro AC adapter...
The MQ172-3SA-CV(30) is the successor of the MQ172-3SA-CV(50). So no big change here.
MQ172-3SA-CV(30) - HIROSE Electric Group [Connector]

And it is in stock inside europe:
[20pcs] mq172-3pa Stecker 3 Pin Monolithic SMD Hirose | eBay

Last edited by angerdan; 04-11-2020 at 12:29 AM.
04-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Thats right, and if Haenzel would've searched the forum before creating another redundant thread, he could've find six already existing threads containing "MQ172-3SA-CV(50)":

External power source projects are also discussed here:

The MQ172-3SA-CV(30) is the successor of the MQ172-3SA-CV(50). So no big change here.
MQ172-3SA-CV(30) - HIROSE Electric Group [Connector]

And it is in stock inside europe:
[20pcs] mq172-3pa Stecker 3 Pin Monolithic SMD Hirose | eBay
I initially replied to an already existing thread, however I was warned "this is a really old thread, do you really want to post here?"
So i decided to create a new one. Sorry if I messed up here...

The Ebay link you posted is a SMD chassis part. You've got male and female connectors.

I really regret having posted my solution. I apologize. Can the administrator please delete my thread?
Wish you all a great and peaceful Easter weekend!!

Best regards,
Haenzel

04-12-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great solution

I took the (Ex-pro) AC to DC converter with Pentax DC plug, cut the 8.3 volt lead in half, soldered female and male DC plugs on both ends.

I liked your solution Haenzel!

Using the plug from the AC to DC converter is really the least expensive and easiest solution. You get the AC power supply and the battery connection for the just a little more than the cost of the connection. I can find the connector for as little as $1.72 USD but the shipping is 10 which is really close to the cost of the AC power supply. Since the battery is already setup for the correct voltage for the Pentax K1 it makes for a great mobile solution.
04-13-2020, 11:36 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by photomission Quote
I liked your solution Haenzel!

Using the plug from the AC to DC converter is really the least expensive and easiest solution. You get the AC power supply and the battery connection for the just a little more than the cost of the connection. I can find the connector for as little as $1.72 USD but the shipping is 10 which is really close to the cost of the AC power supply. Since the battery is already setup for the correct voltage for the Pentax K1 it makes for a great mobile solution.
Thanks for your kind words!
09-13-2020, 01:55 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Can you please post a picture of your setup and tell more about it?

PS: plug is available on ebay without power supply:
Hirose MQ172 Series Miniature Power Connector Cable mount plug, Lötzinn terminati | eBay
09-16-2020, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Can you please post a picture of your setup and tell more about it?

PS: plug is available on ebay without power supply:
Hirose MQ172 Series Miniature Power Connector Cable mount plug, Lötzinn terminati | eBay
Take a look at the picture. Hope it will be more clear....
Attached Images

09-16-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Take a look at the picture. Hope it will be more clear....
Thanks for this contribution. The beauty is the integration with the AC adapter as a charger while retaining it's value for direct power to the camera.

Steve