Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I need a new bag

I live a couple hours from any decent choices for a new bag, So I may make a trip to Seattle to take a look. I have done some home work but I'm a hands on kind of guy, touchy, feely...... but thats a different issue. Anyway I haven't found anything that jumps out at me.

I'm looking for something that will carry two bodies, one with a battery grip, flash, 70-200, 28-75, and two other lenses, with some accessories.

I have a back pack that will carry all my gear but that's getting tight and way to heavy and I have a bag that will carry every thing I need for work, Now I need something to carry the new toys.

I know that some of you out there are probably carrying just the bag I need.

Let me know what works for you, what do you carry in it, how do you like it?

Thanks for your time.

John

10-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Last time I was in Seattle, I went to Glazer's Camera. Very nice store. Big.

I was impressed. They had some of the nicest camera bags I have ever seen.

Welcome To Glazer's Camera | Glazer's Camera

I have no conection to the store. I was just impressed.

As for a camera bag, I have no idea.
10-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the link, I haven't bought to much from them, but I have been there a couple of times.

Vancouver is actually closer.

Where would you go in vancouver?

John
10-28-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,
I would go online, and get a Lowepro photo trekker if you don't have a computer or a computrekker plus!
Sturdy, waterproof, roomy!

10-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Thanks for the link, I haven't bought to much from them, but I have been there a couple of times.

Vancouver is actually closer.

Where would you go in vancouver?

John

I would go to Lens and Shutter. One of the larger stores. They carry Pentax gear also.

Lens & Shutter

Or Leo's (smaller, and kind of old school)

Leo's Camera Supply Ltd.

I can't really think of a "destination" camera store in Vancouver.

With the recient drop in the Canadian dollar, it might be worth the trip.
10-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW which I quite like.

It carries my K10, K20, 5 lenses (two of which are pancakes), a flash unit and my largish light meter (Sekonic 750D). The tripod (always with me) can be mounted on the back or on either side. It also carries my 15.4" laptop + cables and accessories. It's not the lightest bag but it's tough. Water resistant, sealed zippers and a rain cover built in.

The cons of the bag are: It's a bit deep to use with my tripod on the back. I haven't tried mounting it in a side configuration yet because I feel it puts off my balance for when I'm hiking. It's a bit on the heavy side - though I usually take out alot of the gear - especially the laptop (just because it CAN doesnt meen it SHOULD. . The filter pockets are too small (and not soft enough) for my Cokin-P or 77mm filters. It has plenty of individual accessory pockets - but just not that much space for accessories. If you want to store a jacket or something, you're SOL unless you use the laptop compartment. Opening the bag, means putting the "back" part of the bag in the dirt. The sealed zippers are really stiff - though they might loosen over time.

I know I mentioned alot of cons... but they are mostly niggles. I do really like the bag. I'd have gone to the 300 to carry more (like clothes) but it was too big/heavy and especially wouldn't fit in a carry-on situation. (I travel alot).
10-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I need a new bag

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I would go to Lens and Shutter. One of the larger stores. They carry Pentax gear also.

Lens & Shutter

Or Leo's (smaller, and kind of old school)

Leo's Camera Supply Ltd.

I can't really think of a "destination" camera store in Vancouver.

With the recient drop in the Canadian dollar, it might be worth the trip.
Thanks for the links. next time we come up, I will definetly stop in, you never know what other goodies a guy might find.

10-29-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lowepro

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank Fletcher Quote
I have a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW which I quite like.

It carries my K10, K20, 5 lenses (two of which are pancakes), a flash unit and my largish light meter (Sekonic 750D). The tripod (always with me) can be mounted on the back or on either side. It also carries my 15.4" laptop + cables and accessories. It's not the lightest bag but it's tough. Water resistant, sealed zippers and a rain cover built in.

The cons of the bag are: It's a bit deep to use with my tripod on the back. I haven't tried mounting it in a side configuration yet because I feel it puts off my balance for when I'm hiking. It's a bit on the heavy side - though I usually take out alot of the gear - especially the laptop (just because it CAN doesnt meen it SHOULD. . The filter pockets are too small (and not soft enough) for my Cokin-P or 77mm filters. It has plenty of individual accessory pockets - but just not that much space for accessories. If you want to store a jacket or something, you're SOL unless you use the laptop compartment. Opening the bag, means putting the "back" part of the bag in the dirt. The sealed zippers are really stiff - though they might loosen over time.

I know I mentioned alot of cons... but they are mostly niggles. I do really like the bag. I'd have gone to the 300 to carry more (like clothes) but it was too big/heavy and especially wouldn't fit in a carry-on situation. (I travel alot).

I will take a look at the lowepro line, Thanks for your review.

John
11-04-2008, 04:52 AM   #9

Lens & Shutter on W. Broadway (Vancouver) has a decent selection of bags on display.
11-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I was able to carry an EOS 20D + vertical grip, K100D, EF 50mm f/1.8, A 50mm f/1.7, a 28-80 and a 70-210, Sigma flash + 3 cards + filter set + cable release + card reader + USB cable + spare batteries + cleaning kit + umbrella + sunglasses + wallet & ID + notebook (the paper kind). With room to spare.

All in my trusty Tamrac Adventure 75.

As a side note, note Glaser's use of the picture for their Lenses category.