Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D/K20D split image focus screens

I see some of these very cheap on eBay.
Has anyone tried one?

Any feedback regarding installation, shimming etc.?

Also usefulness with manual focus lenses, and effect on AF lens use?

TIA,
Chris

04-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@stevebrot is the expert on screens, especially KatzEye. I believe he bought out several complete sets of shims for K-3 (if they will fit?).
04-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a $20 ebay split screen on my K5IIs, K30 and K2000 (and another K2000 that was stolen). I've never had to shim one and they work great. For me they are an absolute necessity for manual lens unless you are using live view and can spend a lot of time fiddling with focus.
04-11-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@stevebrot is the expert on screens, especially KatzEye. I believe he bought out several complete sets of shims for K-3 (if they will fit?).
Ha! Ha!

I had a KatzEye on my K10D and currently have a KatzEye on my K-3 and yes, I still have shims that will fit any Pentax dSLRs that use the M_-60 series screens. Sadly, the K10D and K20D use the L_-80 series and require a different shim.

In regards to screens...It is a shame that KatzEye is no longer in business. Their product was excellent. At present, the best option of choice would be cut-down screen from focusingscreen.com. My preference for split-image would be one made from the Nikon K3 (excellent screen original to the FM3A). Some might also suggest one of the "S-type" Canon screens. In either case, I would caution against getting the optional laser-etched grids or other markings. They are very bright even with slower lenses and may throw metering off. Be aware that any split-image or microprism screen will interfere with spot metering.

There is also the option to cut down your own from a Nikon or Canon screen readily available from B&H. I don't have links, but there are a few templates on the Web and here on PF.

BTW...my K10D with KatzEye did not require any adjustment to the shimming.

Steve

04-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a $20 ebay diagonal split screen in my *ist DL. It works perfectly, no need to compensate exposure metering.
04-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I see some of these very cheap on eBay.
Has anyone tried one?

TIA,
Chris
I have 2 from jinfinance one for my *istD and one for my K10. These are diagonal split images , the one I got for the K10D is a dual split image, which I like better than the single split image. Is is easier to see an entire wedge / slice out of the middle moved, than the misalignment of the 2 halves (IMO)

I didn’t need to shim, the are some reports from others who have had to with other makes.

The diagonal split image is something I was accustomed to from my Ricoh XR2s

Edit note, *istD K10 and K20 all use the same screens,

Note also that you give up spot metering with these screens, but the K10 metering accuracy actually will improve for manual lenses
04-11-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

I forgot to address these parts. Installation is pretty straightforward and easy enough with good light and steady hands. The screen is indexed and will only fit one way. The shim is between the screen and the prism face and will not require changing unless the screen has different thickness than the original.

As for usefulness for manual focus, the difference is night and day. I can confidently state that without the KatzEye, my manual focus lenses were basically unusable. With the KatzEye, it was like working with my Ricoh XR7, fast and precise. AF lens use was unaffected with the only issue being potential for prism blackout with the slower lenses. That is where the KatzEye and also the Nikon K3 screens shine in that both will resist blackout to about f/8.

Steve

09-11-2022, 05:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@stevebrot and others

Late to this discussion, as I've been planning to upgrade bodies. However, I'd like to breathe some more life into my K20D by getting a split screen. I much prefer diagonal, but it appears there's only one seller with horizontal now for the K20. I have a number of older Pentax film era bodies (Pentax, Ricoh, Chinon).... Would any of these work...rob Peter to pay Paul IOW? Conversely, anyone have a screen already that would fit that's not being used? If so, I can take it to the Marketplace and put a wanted listing there.
09-27-2022, 06:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focus screen arrived, but no Teflon tweezers. What's the next best way to install it without smudging, or would a drugstore have usable tweezers?
09-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found regalar tweezers work just fine using the small lug at the edge to hold it. But that was 10+ years ago now, my how time flies
09-27-2022, 12:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I ended up doing, though I put my magnifying loupe on first.