Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2020, 01:54 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

5 minute DIY sling strap for telephoto lenses

I just thought I'd share what I came up with today, in case someone finds it helpful. Often when I'm out and about with the A 400, I'll have it on a monopod. But sometimes, it's nice not to have the monopod and have hands available, so I had to come up with a way of carrying the camera hands free but available instantly...

Five minutes later... ta-da:

It hangs nicely down my left side, fairly close to my body and out the way. I can pull it to shooting position without a delay. With the strap at the right tightness, I can put pressure against it when I have the camera to my eye - in the same sense as with a rifle sling, and it greatly steadies the setup.

The photo pretty much shows it all, but here's a quick rundown of how I did it:

I used a couple 1/4" bolts, two as I preferred how it hangs with connection points on the camera and lens, and I prefer the added security.
1" bolts proved to be the right length, before screwing them into the lens and camera, I put a washer and nut on each (the nut screwed on enough to not impede screwing them into the tripod mounts).
Finger tight is fine, and then screw the nut down (again finger tight) against the camera body and lens foot, to prevent the bolts from coming out.
I used an old luggage strap from a duffel bag, but I didn't trust the plastic clips, and snapped them off replacing with quick links.
Then a bit of paracord to finish off, tied with a bowline to each end of the strap, and then clove-hitched around the bolts with the washers on the outside.

04-12-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I used a couple 1/4" bolts, two as I preferred how it hangs with connection points on the camera and lens, and I prefer the added security.
1" bolts proved to be the right length, before screwing them into the lens and camera, I put a washer and nut on each (the nut screwed on enough to not impede screwing them into the tripod mounts).
Finger tight is fine, and then screw the nut down (again finger tight) against the camera body and lens foot, to prevent the bolts from coming out.
I used an old luggage strap from a duffel bag, but I didn't trust the plastic clips, and snapped them off replacing with quick links.
Then a bit of paracord to finish off, tied with a bowline to each end of the strap, and then clove-hitched around the bolts with the washers on the outside.
" Bertwerticity is the brother of invention "............................................................very well done Robert.
04-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
very well done Robert
Thanks Peter I was surprised how simple it was to make something so functional (for me at least), it's even comfortable to boot!
04-12-2020, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Things change quickly in these uncertain times.

Onto v2... as having the connection point on the camera made it a pain when I want to use another lens quickly.
I decided that the one connection point was safe enough, provided the nut was torqued at precisely 'a wee bit more than finger tight'.
Using two washers made the connection point more like the swivels found on commercial slings - which are generally just a single point as well.
I found rotating the tripod collar to the side made it hang nicer than when below, and nicer than with both connection points.

04-13-2020, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Things change quickly in these uncertain times.

Onto v2... as having the connection point on the camera made it a pain when I want to use another lens quickly.
I decided that the one connection point was safe enough, provided the nut was torqued at precisely 'a wee bit more than finger tight'.
Using two washers made the connection point more like the swivels found on commercial slings - which are generally just a single point as well.
I found rotating the tripod collar to the side made it hang nicer than when below, and nicer than with both connection points.
I would not trust what I'm seeing above, too easy for that para cord loop to come out from between those washers, imo. FWIW, I handle and rig art, very very expensive art, for a living in museums, along with photographing it....I would think ring eye would be needed here for safety, or a shaped washer with a hole for the cord.
04-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I would not trust what I'm seeing above, too easy for that para cord loop to come out from between those washers, imo. FWIW, I handle and rig art, very very expensive art, for a living in museums, along with photographing it....I would think ring eye would be needed here for safety, or a shaped washer with a hole for the cord.
I agree actually, I tightened the loop, and since it wouldn't swivel anyways, I changed it to a more secure clove-hitch that then had the washers tightened against it. I also added a bit of bicycle inner tube between the nut and tripod foot to hold it more secure.

04-13-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I get much satisfaction from a good DIY solution and look forward to others' clever solutions. In this case though, you might want to look into the $7 Focus F-1 Camera Strap . It has worked well for me with my Bigma/KP combination.

04-13-2020, 10:31 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Bert

Perhaps an eye bolt instead. If left as is, taking a match to the knot to melt the nylon together would make it pretty permanent.
04-13-2020, 10:56 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I get much satisfaction from a good DIY solution and look forward to others' clever solutions. In this case though, you might want to look into the $7 Focus F-1 Camera Strap . It has worked well for me with my Bigma/KP combination.
Ah, but that's $7 and this was free

Though in seriousness, that might be something to look into, does the clip ride freely up and down the strap? That might be something to look into for another DIY revision.
04-13-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Bert

Perhaps an eye bolt instead. If left as is, taking a match to the knot to melt the nylon together would make it pretty perma
An eye bolt would make sense, and I'll swap one into there if I can find one lying around. As far as how solid the string's attached, it's solid alright.
04-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

this was free
That's my favorite price!
04-13-2020, 01:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe a fender washer under the bolt head instead of standard width washer for more security? Maybe a short close-fit metal sleeve on the bolt to prevent its threads from biting into the paracord over time?
04-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Maybe a short close-fit metal sleeve on the bolt to prevent its threads from biting into the paracord over time?
Good idea! However, if I can find an eye bolt, it would be more idea.
04-15-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
Forum Member

does the clip ride freely up and down the strap?
Yes it does. it's quite a nice strap..
04-18-2020, 06:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After using it for several days, on several long walks, and even one ski, I would say it's a success. It's secure and comfortable, readily accessed, and I have two free hands if needed. When moving faster, it's nice to support the camera with a hand or forearm, but not needed. Much nicer than holding it in your hands, or with a monopod - in fact I doubt I'll use this lens on a monopod now that I have the strap, as it's light enough to shoot handheld.