Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2020, 02:28 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery chargers

sigh. for some inexplicable reason, i simply cannot recall where my battery charger is.

Looking to get a battery charger that can charge the D-Li90P batteries (4pin).

Anyone here using "third party" non-pentax brand battery chargers that charges the D-Li90P?

Does it work well?
Do the batteries work fine when charged with these "third party" chargers?

Appreciate any sharing by any of you who use such "third party" chargers. Thanks in advance!

04-26-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Green Extreme Dual Smart Charger

Hi,
i can recommend you this charger:
Green Extreme Dual Smart Charger
amazon.com: Green Extreme Dual Smart Charger with LCD Screen for Pentax D-LI90: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

I do not have this exact version, as this comes from some chinese company and every retailer puts his own label on them. I have the Blumax Version, which is sold in germany.
These Chargers are very useful as the "charging plates" can be swapped, which is why you can charge basically every camera battery if you have the right plate for it.
Furhtermore this two slot charger should support 4.2 V as well as 8.4 V, which means you can charge even more batteries.
You can find these Plates on ebay, if you search for "powever"
powever | eBay

There are also smaller versions, which only have on slot, but they usually only support either 8.4 V oder 4.2 Volts.
amazon.com: Green Extreme Compact Smart Charger with LCD Screen for Pentax D-LI90: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&
04-26-2020, 05:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use one of these to charge all different types of li-ion batteries. It's adjustable and works great.
Unipal Plus
04-26-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have never had any problems with third party chargers. AT B&H photo they sell a two slot charger that is very handy because if you have different batteries you can often get an adapter plate for $1.99 USD. Mine has been very handy that way. I use mine to charge three different batteries.

I always carry a charger that can plug into the accessory lighter on my car or work as a wall charger. Great when on the road.

04-26-2020, 06:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can see in my rebuild article the internal control board and balance charge connection in the battery. Both my chargers (one for D-Li90's one for D-Li109's) have identical spec - 8.4v 400mA and three contacts. This suggests that the controlling of the charging is done inside the charger - the in battery pcb is basically a connection board (and it looks too simple to be the control board compared to off the shelf Li Ion charge control boards like TP4056's). So you are best advised to have an original or compatible clone charger. However any Li Ion charging set up that can charge a 2S ie two cells in series = 8.4v fully charged, pack would probably work ok, if you can connect it.
High spec 3rd party non-specific chargers can auto-sense the number of cells and balancing.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 04-26-2020 at 06:19 AM.
04-30-2020, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do any of these chargers use USB input for power source? Not much info on the Amazon page for that first charger and in the pics couldn't tell if that slot on the side was USB for output or a micro USB slot for power input. From what I can tell the Unipal plus only does USB output.
04-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thank you everyone, who shared on this topic.

the uniplus thingy sounds great.

Anyway, i bought a cheapo 3rd party charger which claims it can charge both the D-Li90 and the D-Li90P.

It should reach me by next week Monday or Tuesday.

Hopefully, it will take both the P and non-P versions of the D-Li90.