Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How do you organize your filters?

in the last 30 years, I have collected a variety of good to great quality filters. Some are the round screw on type, and others are the square or rectangular type that slip into a holder. I also have a variety of step up and step down rings.

I'm looking for ideas on how to best organize my filters for both storage at home as well as to take a few with me for a hike or a vacation.

05-02-2020, 12:02 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For hiking and travel, where space and weight are major concern, I screw all my filters together. Most of my Pentax & Takumar primes take either 49mm or 52 mm filters. Thus I have a stack fo 49s and a stack of 52s screwed together with a thin step-down ring. To protect the filters on the ends from damage with a couple of throw-away "skylight" filters that came with some of my used lenses.

The result is a cylinder that is smaller than many of the lenses that I carry that can easily fit anyplace a smallish lens can fit.

The only down side is it takes a bit of get unscrewing/rescrewing to extract a particular filter or put it back. Nonetheless, it beats faffing around with bulky filter boxes, sleeves, etc.
05-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Sorry I can't be of much help. Apart from the UV filters which I tend to leave stuck on the front of lenses, I mostly forget where I left them. Since I bought my K-3 last fall, I have been putting any small photography related items as I find them, in the K3 box on the top shelf of my closet. I do carry a circular polarizing filter in my camera bag though.
I'll watching this thread for any good suggestions
05-02-2020, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two small plastic storage units with pullout drawers that I keep my filters in. (six drawers in total with filters in their original plastic cases marked with a label)

I have one drawer each for 49mm, 52mm, 58mm 67mm, 77mm and 82mm screw-in/bayonet filters. I also have some Pentax gel filter holders and Kodak Wratten gel filters, those are in another drawer.

Note I only shoot film, so filters are a must.

Phil.

05-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
Forum Member

I have a case that my square filters (ND's and graduated ND's) came in for those.
For each size of circular filters I own, I have a set of caps... one "back" cap, and one "front cap. Then, the filters screw into each other to make a stack, with the "back" cap at one end, and the "front" cap at the other end. I can take any filter out of the stack, and only need one stack per filter diameter...stores like a pancake lens. If you have a lot of filters.. it'll just store like a lens lens. (I don't have a lot of filters.. circular polarizer, haze, and IR in round filters, 1,2,4,8 and 10 ND filters.)
05-02-2020, 03:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

My 'Square' filters live in their own pockets in a padded wallet for protection and ease of transportation. Circular Polarising filters also go in their own pockets in another smaller padded case. I also have a selection of other circular filters, screwed together, from which I select one or more as needed for a particular outing, and stepping rings are screwed together. Rings and these other filters go into the 'leather' cases that teleconvertors often get sold in, for when I think I'll need them.
05-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

All my small camera parts [1], including filters and hoods, are stored in Sistema Klip-it 3 litre boxes. These boxes are stackable, transparent for easy viewing, and with labels on one side with info what's inside. When I need more room I just buy a few extra of these boxes (with consequently the same size to keep it systematic) and they are added to the collection which is displayed in a cupboard in my study.

[1] Lenses, caps, batteries, chargers, grips, angle finders, eyepieces, data backs, adapters, extension tube sets, film holders, cables, straps, screws, small tools, SD memory cards, silica gel etc.

Last edited by Kobayashi.K; 05-02-2020 at 03:53 PM.
05-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have an ugly stepchild collection of filters and step-rings of various sizes, rectangular and screw-in. All carried in an Kinesis Large Filter Pouch, including a Cokin holder
05-02-2020, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use these in different sizes
amazon.com : Fotasy 52mm Metal Filter Stack Caps, Filter Stack 52mm, Aluminum Alloy, Slim Stack fits 52mm UV CPL Fader ND Filter : Camera Filter Stack Caps : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
05-02-2020, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
in the last 30 years, I have collected a variety of good to great quality filters. Some are the round screw on type, and others are the square or rectangular type that slip into a holder. I also have a variety of step up and step down rings.

I'm looking for ideas on how to best organize my filters for both storage at home as well as to take a few with me for a hike or a vacation.
Thanks for asking this question and one I too have been searching for an answer to for years. There are some very good examples being described here that I am going to try.
05-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I store them in their own cases inside of a Think Tank Photo Stuff It Belt Pouch that I bought on a B&H daily deal, I think they were discontinuing them. Anyway, I don't really have that many. I also try to keep the basic sizes like 49 and 55 in each bag I may use. I don't think this is really organized that well, but it's a start, they used to be either in the bag I was using or down in a box with other miscellaneous gear. At least they are in a bag that I'm using or their own storage bag.
05-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I put them in their cases and toss them into one of four boxes according to class of camera they belong to:
  1. Small format SLR
  2. 35mm rangefinder
  3. TLR and other Bay/Series/odd-ball filters/adapters
  4. Large format
Those that are part of active kit for the day are in the same bag as the camera.

Steve
05-03-2020, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the same type of threaded caps and stack filters by size. They add very little bulk making it easy to carry.
05-04-2020, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
For hiking and travel, where space and weight are major concern, I screw all my filters together.
When hiking, I find that speed is more of a concern, since I'm always with other people

I personally use a cheap pocket from Amazon, with space for three filters (I have two of those). Thinness was key here. If size isn't an issue, Think Tank has a superb filter case.
10-10-2020, 03:36 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
If size isn't an issue, Think Tank has a superb filter case.
Thanks, I am using one of those for my larger Cokin filters now.