Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Peak Design Clutch or Cuff?

Peak Design Clutch or Cuff. Which for use with the K-1 and medium lens? I would be interested to hear people's experience with either.

Does combining with the Clip make a difference to your recommendation?

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-02-2020 at 07:05 PM.
05-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #2

Sorry I can't comment on the clip. However, I have used the Clutch on both my K1 and K5iis and highly recommend it. It makes the camera one with your hand.
05-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Peak Design Clutch or Cuff. Which for use with the K-1 and medium lens? I would be interested to hear people's experience with either.

Hi,
I use the Clutch on my K-1. It works really well and gives peace of mind when holding the camera when a medium sized lens (15-30 mm) is attached. I also use the Peak Design Slide in combination.
Often I wear the slide over my left shoulder whilst holding the camera in my right hand with the clutch strap attached. I use an arca swiss plate to bring it all together. It just gives me reassurance when carrying such a valuable piece of kit.

I also purchased a Click Pro camera holster which is a well designed product using a belt, which I think is the best way to use the Clip type system with such a heavy camera. ( Although I don't really use it very often!)

Cheers Craig

Last edited by BROO; 05-02-2020 at 07:19 PM.
05-02-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
I also purchased a Click camera holster which is a well designed product using a belt, which I think is the best way to use the Clip type system with such a heavy camera. ( Although I don't really use it very often!)
Yes, I've looked at the Clip for a while, but couldn't imagine it being very comfortable with a K-1+DFA* 50 say. I've heard the Think Tank clip adapter actually works better with the Peak Design Clip than does their own Pro Pad. I hadn't seen the Click system.

Thanks.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 05-02-2020 at 07:33 PM.
05-02-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Hi,
I use the Clutch on my K-1. It works really well and gives peace of mind when holding the camera when a medium sized lens (15-30 mm) is attached. I also use the Peak Design Slide in combination.
Often I wear the slide over my left shoulder whilst holding the camera in my right hand with the clutch strap attached. I use an arca swiss plate to bring it all together. It just gives me reassurance when carrying such a valuable piece of kit.

I also purchased a Click Pro camera holster which is a well designed product using a belt, which I think is the best way to use the Clip type system with such a heavy camera. ( Although I don't really use it very often!)

Cheers Craig
Did everyone see The Camera used for the Cuff photo? It’s a well used chrome MX with what looks like a M50/1.7 mounted (and an Asahi metal cap from a Takumar lens).

My son bought me the exact same combination setup for my K-1 + DFA24-70 and DFA*50/1.4 - and I also use that setup the same way you do, especially with the FA*80-200/2.8 mounted. My son I shoots lacrosse games with 2 APSc bodies (24-70 + 70-210) and runs with the play. The combo gives him security for the two cameras strapped cross-chest and the right hip camera has the Clutch.

I can hold the heavy K-1 camera/lens securely when shooting and when walking with the Clutch released I’m confident it is well strapped on. The Sling allows me to rapidly adjust for either moving around or shooting.

I just use the Sling when using smaller lenses.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-02-2020 at 07:47 PM.
05-02-2020, 11:27 PM   #6

I use the Clutch with my KP and it is awesome. Becomes part of you. The Cuff I use with my GR3 which works really well.
05-03-2020, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vincent Breen Quote
I use the Clutch with my KP and it is awesome. Becomes part of you. The Cuff I use with my GR3 which works really well.
Welcome Vincent!
05-03-2020, 04:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use the opitech range of straps and quick disconnects, have since then1990s. I am a bit leery of the peak design claim at being first, whim I use something that has been around for 30 years

05-03-2020, 05:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the cuff and clip on my K-1. I quite like both and don't miss my sling. I can carry the camera and a "normal" lens for quite a while on my shoulder strap (with the clip) and can hold the camera with a DA300 for a little while (long enough to eat a sandwich, pull out my wallet etc. I wouldn't mind having a clip on the other side to alternate... The clip is great for hiking, climbing etc. as the camera doesn't swing around and bang into things. I haven't used the clutch but it doesn't hold much interest for me. I like being able to snap into the clip and easily pull my hand out of the cuff.
05-03-2020, 09:40 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use the cuff if I don't use the Pentax neck strap or Blackrapid R-Strap if I want to secure the camera - on the KP and K-1 So far no problems with it.
05-03-2020, 07:03 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use the cuff. The clutch makes it awkward to take photos while holding the camera low while using the flip screen. Also the cuff provides no security if you want to carry the camera by holding the lens: it forces you to carry by the body grip area only.
05-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Does combining with the Clip make a difference to your recommendation?
The Capture Clip has become, by far, my favourite photo accessory. It is fantastic.

Yes, I've looked at the Clip for a while, but couldn't imagine it being very comfortable with a K-1+DFA* 50 say.
I use the Capture Clip with a K-1 and 28-105 all the time, also did with the K-1 and a 16-85 (larger) and a variety of other lenses. With my heavier lens (60-250), I use the Slide Strap if I need to hang the camera, but often I also handhold the combo, thanks to a modified holder I made with Peak Design's Anchor links.

Here is what I made, with a simple strip of leather strap bought offf eBay for a few dollars:

I fid it's quicker and simpler than the more robust Peak Design options, and I like how it holds my hand in place when handling the camera, while the wrist strap doesn't (it does offer security against falls, however).

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am a bit leery of the peak design claim at being first, whim I use something that has been around for 30 years
I don't think they ever claimed to be first to design a removable strap system. They are the first to make one so small, however.

I've used Op-Tech's system for a good while, have much respect for it, but prefer the Peak Design system myself.
05-04-2020, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #13

I use a strap similar to the Cuff on my K-1 and KP camera. My straps are Joby brand but they doesn't have the quick release ability of the Peak Design straps. OTOH they are less bulky.

I think strap selection is a very personal thing, and what one person likes isn't always what another person will like.

*In my case*, I get annoyed with straps that get in the way, that take up too much room or get tangled. I normally do landscape photography, and when I'm out taking pictures my cameras are normally carried from place to place in a camera bag. When I stop to take pictures I'll dig out out my camera and often the camera will be sitting on a tripod.

I really want a strap on my cameras, because I'm afraid that I might drop the camera if I slip or trip while just moving around a location with a camera in my hands. For this reason I feel 'automatic' cinching ability of Cuff-style straps fits my needs best. On the other hand, the 99.9995% of the time that I don't slip or trip, or am working in my home I don't want to hassle with a strap that just gets in my way.

Like I said, strap selection is a personal thing. I've got several types of straps (including a Peak Design strap) that I've tried and eventually put aside. I don't think my Cuff-like straps are the be-all and end-all of straps, but based on how I use my cameras, I've found that Cuff-style work better *for me* than any other strap I've tried. However, your mileage may vary!