Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Movo Extension Tubes for Pentax K

I ran across an ad for this a while back by accident and bookmarked it.
Is anyone familiar with this brand and recommend it?

Movo MT-P56 AF Macro Extension Tube Set | Pentax K

05-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #2

There is a review of the Movo tubes for Q cameras. Draw your own conclusions from that.
Movo TC 10, 16, 25mm extension tubes for Pentax Q series. Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

There are also reviews of the Kooka brand AF tubes for Pentax which the Movo may or may not be rebrands. The jury is still out on that. Reviews of the Kooka tubes are generally not good - too many connection problems. When the work properly (seldom) they work. As I recall one of the well known UK camera gear sites stopped carrying them because of complaints. There are also reviews scattered about the forum outside the review database.

Kooka KOOKA KK-P25 Copper Macro Extension Tubes reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
05-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I always have reservations about web-pages that advertise an item as "PK-fitting" or similar, then show pictures of an item which is obviously not PK-fit!

Also not sure about the necessity of a/f in a macro application. Kenko used to manufacture non-a/f PKA fitting tubes in a set of three, 12mm, 20mm, and 36mm. Mine cost significantly less s/h than the $99 asking price for these Movo items. They work perfectly fine for whatever I need them for.
05-07-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out the reviews on Amazon.

05-07-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Check out the reviews on Amazon.
The combination of the Amazon and PF reviews should be enough to scare most people away. Consider too the caution in the description that the FF image will be cropped and the value of the tubes is much diminished, IMHO.

Steve
05-08-2020, 06:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I'll have to do more research on it and the others.
05-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sapper Quote
Thanks everyone, I'll have to do more research on it and the others.
I ordered the Kooka. It was cheap enough to take a chance it would be usable. Instead of PK mount I received a Cannon mount. The unit was so flimsy that had it been PK I would not have hung a lens on it. Another lesson learned.

05-10-2020, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you catfish, dually noted.
05-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If Pentax insists on removing the aperture ring on newer lenses, then they owe is a well made set of auto extension tubes. How much R&D is really needed? FF teleconverters would be nice too. Again, how much R&D needed for those?
05-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
If Pentax insists on removing the aperture ring on newer lenses, then they owe is a well made set of auto extension tubes. How much R&D is really needed? FF teleconverters would be nice too. Again, how much R&D needed for those?
Interesting idea, but I think the decision(s) were made very many years that there simply wasn't the demand for them. Any quality third-party alternatives, (Kenko etc.) also seem to have dropped out of production, so presumably the original decision was correct ... there just isn't the demand, else someone somewhere would be cashing in on it

Whilst the r&d may be minimal, the investment in setting up a production facility to produce an item which will only sell very occasionally is counter-intuitive ... else some of the big old wide-aperture telephoto lenses would still be available, at least to order
05-21-2020, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried them and I sent them back as they didn't work as advertised. I have been using the +diopter closeup lens. They work well enough considering the alternative especially if you keep the f stop short of wide open.
05-22-2020, 12:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It would definitely be nice to see Pentax or a 3rd party group come up with the tubes again but I understand their motive for not doing so. I wish I would have grabbed a Kenko before they quit manufacturing them years ago. I may just go ahead and try a diopter lens as you mentioned instead.
Thanks guys.
05-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Wait! It gets worse! Recent lenses are focus by wire with NO mechanical aperture linkage.

Steve
05-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #14

I doubt Ricoh will be making extension tubes any time in the near future or even at all. They don't have a macro lens on the roadmap at this time. To be fair the lens roadmap "can change at any time".

The best hope would be convincing someone like Samyang or Laowa to make a quality set. Laowa though seems more interested in making single piece solutions like 2× (or greater) macro lenses.
06-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm remaining hopeful, thanks guys.